Eurocom Ships World's First Six-Core Notebook

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,504
Points 1,196,940
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 12 2010 5:27 PM
When it comes to cutting edge notebooks, Eurocom is always at the readywith something new. Whenever a new mobile CPU, chipset or GPU becomesavailable, you can almost count on this company delivering the firstnotebook based around those new specifications. Today, the company isintroducing another world's first, and while it doesn't ship in amachine that's anywhere near ultra-mobile, it's still impressive tothink that you can now carry Intel's Core i7-980X Extreme Edition in amachine that fits in a (large) carry-on bag.

The planet's first six-core notebook has arrived, with options for the980X or the Xeon W5680 available. Users can also equip the machine withup to 2.6TB of storage (room for four hard drives!) and up to 24GB ofDDR3-1333 memory. It's being introduced at the NAB Expo in front ofthose who need serious number crunching abilities on the go, and thisone certainly has the power to sail through CAD modeling, CAM, Adobe'sCreative Suite and pretty much anything else you could imagine.

It's encased in the same D900F Panther shell, which is a large machinewith enough room to hold these high-powered processors and notmelt-down completely.The machine is finally shipping now for prices that are far higher than most are willing to pay.

Eurocom launches the world's first 6-cores based notebook with Intel i7-980X Extreme Edition and Xeon W5680, up to 2.6TB of storage with four physical hard drives and up to 24GB of DDR3-1333 Triple-Channel Memory! The official launch is scheduled today in Las Vegas during NAB Expo.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Eurocom, the world's leading developer of highly personalized, high-performance notebook PCs and energy efficient All-in-One PCs, updated the EUROCOM D900F Panther Mobile Workstation to support the newest line of 32nm Intel 6-cores processors  and D900F Panther Mobile Server to support line of  XEON W56xx processors.

EUROCOM Phantom series is perfect for Software and Database Developers, Graphics, Photography, Gaming, 3D Modeling, CAD, CAM, CAE, Digital Content Creators, engineeres and anyone demanding maximum power, storage and video, or Mobile Server platform running Microsoft Hyper-V capable to virtualize and run any O/S from Windows 7 or Server 2008 up to Red Hat or Solaris

The EUROCOM D900F PANTHER Mobile Workstation combines Eurocom engineering, Intel horsepower, and professional nVidia Quadro FX 3800M OpenGL graphics in a package that can easily handle demanding engineering and visualization workloads. It delivers 64-bit workstation-class performance and functionality in a mobile form factor with laptop convenience, anywhere you go. It is designed to replace traditional desktop based workstation by providing "anywhere you go workstation" capabilities and allows companies to implement RED (Rapid Engineering Deployment) Team solutions.

Designed for real-world application performance, reliability, and cool operation EUROCOM D900F PANTHER Mobile Workstation is perfect for running most of 64-bit Operating Systems. By supporting more operating systems than any workstation in its class, the EUROCOM PANTHER gives professional users maximum flexibility.

In addition to Microsoft Windows 7, XP Pro64, Server 2003 or Server 2008, the EUROCOM D900F PANTHER supports RedHat, Linux, Open Solaris and other server-class operating systems, enabling SMB customers to use the system for virtualization as Mobile Server.

And that means mobile capabilities of launching 64-bit workstation On-the-Go or Virtual server On-the-Go applications from the convenience of a laptop, wherever, whenever work needs to be done.
Mobile Server is a new category of Eurocom notebooks designed with a professional user in mind. Software and/or database developers, training centers, military personnel, emergency relief organizations and service organizations who must frequently travel, yet need access to powerful computing, are the core target for Mobile Servers.

With unrivaled power, unsurpassed features and unmatched style, the Mobile Servers are the ultimate extension of the Eurocom Mobile Workstation notebook technology.

With the release of mobile servers, EUROCOM has taken the next step in the evolution of the desktop replacement and workstation by combining server like features, power, reliability and flexibility with desktop replacement technology. Mobile Server is the most powerful notebook on the market. It is engineered for the highest quality, best performance, long-term stability and latest computing technology.
Mobile Server features the most innovative and stable computer technologies available on the market such as the fastest processors, x64 Operating Systems, the most advanced VGA technology, multiple optical drives and multiple Hard Drives offering RAID 0/1/5/10, large displays and full size 102-key keyboards.

The EUROCOM PANTHER, which measures 15.8" x 11.9" x 2.05" and weights under 12lbs, also supplies tremendous storage (up to 2.6TB using four hard drives). Customers may also choose between RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5 or RAID 10 for the ultimate transfer rates and application load times or redundancy.

"It's a server or workstation class computer complete with built-in Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) in a 12 pounds notebook form factor," said Mark Bialic, President of Eurocom. "This is one extremely fast notebook that offers server or workstation calibre capabilities. It is designed to replace traditional desktop based workstations. It offers incredible high ROI by allowing companies to be more productive and offers new "on the go" Rapid Engineering Deployment (RED) services while greatly reducing overall IT management costs".

Featuring workstation-class or server-class Intel Core i7 or Xeon Processor and up to 24GB of DDR3-1333 memory, the D900F PANTHER also offers the largest storage capacity on the market today - a whopping 2.6 Terabytes with four physical drives and RAID 0/1/5/10 - making it the perfect mobile workstation or server laptop for users who demand extra-large capacity storage and reliability for true portable server / workstation experience.

EUROCOM PANTHER supports super-powerful 6-cores 3.33GHz Intel Core i7-980X Processor Extreme Edition or 3.33 GHz Intel XEON W5680 processors running at 6.4GT/sec bus speed with 8MB L3 cache, Gigabit Ethernet port on-board, HDMI, eSATA, DVi Dual Link ports, with a 17" WUXGA LCD display and full size keyboard. If required 2nd Gigabit Ethernet can be added via Express Card expansion slot. Eurocom offers both regular hard drives with G-Force sensors as well as Solid State Drives SLC and/or MLC with capacity of 1TB per drive.

PROCESSOR TECHNOLOGY:
Driving the system is the newest line of Intel Core i7 processors up to 3.33 GHz Extreme Edition i7-980X and bus speeds of up to 2x 6.4GT/sec and 8MB of L3 cache, which delivers exceptional multi-tasking and multi-threaded performance. There are 6 different CPU choices available:

(1) i7-930 2.80 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor; 8MB L3 cache; 4.8GT/s; LGA1366; 32nm; 130W
(2) i7-960 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor; 8MB L3 cache; 4.8GT/s; LGA1366; 45nm; 130W
(3) i7-980X 3.33 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor Extreme Edition; 6-cores; 8MB L3 cache; 6.4GT/s; LGA1366; 32nm; 130W
(4) W5680; 3.33 GHz Intel Xeon Processor; 6-cores; 8MB L3 cache; 6.4GT/s; LGA1366; 32nm; 130W
(5) X5670 2.93 GHz Intel Xeon Processor; 6-cores; 8MB L3 cache; 6.4GT/s; LGA1366; 32nm; 95W
(6) W5590 3.33 GHz Intel Xeon Processor; 8MB L3 cache; 6.4GT/s; LGA1366; 45nm; 130W

Eurocom offers full processor upgradeability allowing users to update their processors as technology changes and/or if higher performance is required.

VGA TECHNOLOGY
Eurocom offers multiple choices of high performance VGA cards based on standard MXM 3.0 Type B specifications, easy to upgrade by professional user:

a) 1GB GDDR3; GTX 285M Nvidia GeForce; DX10; MXM 3.0 Type B; 16x PCIe; N11E-GTX1
b) 1GB GDDR3; nVidia Quadro FX 2800M; OpenGL; DVI Dual Link; MXM 3.0b; N10E-GLM
c) 1GB GDDR3; nVidia Quadro FX 3800M; OpenGL; DVI Dual Link; MXM 3.0b; N10E-GLM3
d) 1GB GDDR5; HD5870 ATi Radeon Mobility; DX 11; DVI Dual Link; MXM 3.0b

Eurocom offer full VGA Upgradeability allowing users to upgrade their VGA technology as technology changes (i.e. DX11) and/or higher VGA performance is required (i.e. Quadro or SLI/Crossfire)

DEFINITION of MOBILE WORKSTATION
Mobile Workstation is a new category of notebooks designed to replace a desktop-based workstation for a professional user. With unrivalled power, unsurpassed features and portability, the Mobile Workstation is the ultimate evolution of the Desktop Replacement notebook. With the release of mobile workstations, Eurocom has taken the next step in the evolution of the desktop replacement by combining workstation like features, power and flexibility with desktop replacement technology. Mobile Workstation is the most powerful notebook on the market. With the arrival of 64-bit Operating System technology, mobile workstations run two times faster 64-bit applications than 32-bit desktop PCs. Featuring the most innovative computer technologies; they are engineered for the highest quality, best performance, long-term stability and serviceability. As a single computing solution, mobile workstation provides a perfect alternative to a traditional workstation class desktop computer system.

"It's a server or workstation class computer complete with built-in Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) in a 12pounds notebook form factor," said Mark Bialic, President of Eurocom. "This is one extremely fast notebook that offers server or workstation calibre capabilities. It is designed to replace traditional desktop based workstations. It offers incredible high ROI by allowing companies to be more productive and offer new "on the go" Rapid Engineering Deployment (RED) services while greatly reducing overall IT management costs".
  • | Post Points: 185
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Apr 12 2010 6:03 PM

This is just insane what this company is putting out and in a desktop replacement notebook to boot!

If only I can go with the single hard drive option and the rest of the space that was originally used by hard drives can go help cool this beast.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,890
sp12 replied on Mon, Apr 12 2010 7:16 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how they put a UPS in a laptop...... or for that matter why a battery wouldn't suffice.

And how did they put 4 hard drives in a laptop, the amount of excess power drain would be absurd.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

WARNING: Exposure to surfaces could cause permanent melting and disfiguration of that surface.

Seriously, a 980X? That's insane (I wasn't going to say extreme). I think they should rename this the brick, for obvious purposes.

I can't believe that this has 4 physical hard drives. That's unbelievable. And amazing at the same time!

1333 Mhz memory, and 24 at that, is going to dominate most computer out there. When you couple that much memory with a power i7 6 core CPU and then couple that with a GPU provided by Nvidia...man oh man.

You know I really wouldn't mind having one of these regardless of size, just knowing that a portable computer like this can sport so much hardcore tech inside really makes it much more worth it.

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 625
greyad replied on Mon, Apr 12 2010 9:47 PM

a 160gb intel ssd in that beast would make an atomic bomb Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 325
Cheezit replied on Mon, Apr 12 2010 9:53 PM

Wow....... My q6600 based system is a giant paper weight compared to this thing.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Finally. I have been waiting and wondering.

For the last six months all we have been seeing is the liquidation of the older core2duos and the Phenoms!

I am sure by the summer we will be seeing the 6/8 cores hitting the stores. I just wonder if liquid cooling will become more of a standard for them.

That's the way to tell the next generation is here, the prices go back to their normal heights:P

I just wish the next generation meant, What they just developed at MIT!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 490
Xolso replied on Mon, Apr 12 2010 11:52 PM

seriously? 24gb of ram? do you really need that much?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 12:05 AM

I could see it Xolso especially if it was pulling mobile server, graphics implementation(ask Animatortom), high end accounting, architecture, finances and many other types of work. However this is more than a general desktop replacement unit as well. So I imagine the price you'd pay for it is quite nice as well.

I really wonder how they keep a beast like this cool though. With a 6 core 24 Gb of ram and an Nvidia GPU I imagine it would be good for at least 2nd degree burns pretty easy if you actually use it on your lap.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 12:12 AM

Xolso:

seriously? 24gb of ram? do you really need that much?

Well, it depends on what you are doing. If you bought this thing for gaming, then you wouldn't want to waste the money on that much memory. Rather, put it towards upgrading another component like the gpu or a few SSDs.

People who get this for workstation use will probably want that much if they can afford it.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Intel is developing very interesting technology which will effectively create vertical "stacks" of chips with multiple processors.

These stacked chips are then connected to each other using special channels and the entire arrangement is then packaged.

The microscopic vias in the in the prototype 80-core chips. Data will travel between the each core processor and memory through thousands of these dedicated vias channels.

The process,has been named "through-silicon vias" or TSV.

Just think of how many years of selling people upgraded cores in multiples of 2 or four. They have all their development done for many years!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 12:41 AM

I wonder what kind of benchmarks this bad boy would put up. Throw a good gaming video card in here and watch it humiliate all comers.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 1,710

Jeeeeeeeez...

So much power in that little thing.  I kinda laugh that you would want to run Windows Server 2008 R2 on a notebook but I guess there are people out there that might actually need it (like it says - military personnel, emergency relief organizations and service organizations who must frequently travel)  I really don't think software or database developers need one.... they could just remote into a server without having to carry that powerhouse.  The only thing that it would truly be useful would be if you're in someplace that doesn't have internet... but nowadays that's not so difficult anymore

This makes me feel like my laptop is so tiny D:

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,890
sp12 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 5:42 AM

Is it just me or is there an error on the CPU list:

Core i7 930 is listed as 32nm, which is definitely not right from the intel fact sheet here:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41447

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 9:11 AM

I can only think of one use for this: Give it to your software sales people to give customers the impression that your bloated software will run on "even a laptop".

I checked their website and the default single-drive config (below the specs touted above) is $3082 *without an OS*. When I cranked up all the specs (4 drives, 6-core processor, 12GB of mem) I got it up to $14,705 without buying any of the external add-ons except for a second battery. Yikes.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Laptop UPS = battery
This one just gets barely an hour out of a 12 cell battery.

Speaking of crazy, the base weight of this thing is 12lbs! With the max hardware config and a second battery it will be pushing up to the weight of my desktop. Now that is bonkers.

Additionally, this thing comes with a max of 12GB of ram.  Don't know where the 24 came from.  Also, to get 4 HDD you have to remove the optical drive.  It does not come with Wi-Fi or bluetooth standard, their both options.  Actually pretty much everything including the OS is an option and you will pay through the nose for it.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 1,710
moethelawn replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:25 AM

3vi1:

I can only think of one use for this: Give it to your software sales people to give customers the impression that your bloated software will run on "even a laptop".

I checked their website and the default single-drive config (below the specs touted above) is $3082 *without an OS*. When I cranked up all the specs (4 drives, 6-core processor, 12GB of mem) I got it up to $14,705 without buying any of the external add-ons except for a second battery. Yikes.

Server-wise + the portability factor... the price isnt that ridiculous... it doesn't help that there are parts that are more directed towards server use like the Xeon processor.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:49 AM

InfinityzeN:
you will pay through the nose for it

Sounds like a visit to the online Apple Store!

They just introduced a new line of MacBook Pro's and I priced one of them. A 17" cost's $7,227.85 when you add the whistles and bells to it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 3:15 PM

This is truly a desktop replacement. Too heavy to really want to bring it anywhere. Maybe occasionally to a friends house. Just leave it on your desk and keep it plugged in.

And yes, there does seem to be a type with the nm of the i7 930. Unless Intel is shipping them a special mobile version that none of us knows about.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

This thing uses desktop CPU's RyuGTX. Actually something that is fairly common in large/high-end desktop replacements for years now.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
Hey now...That's cheap for an Apple!

IF people didn't pay that much for roughly 150dollars of materials and roughly 50 dollars for labour. Then the Enviro guy wouldn't be able to change his turtleneck each day! 

Kinda like all the greats who have the same outfit each day.....

Fred Flinstone
George Jetson
Homer Simpson
Peter Griffin.....ETC.
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:51 PM

InfinityzeN:

This thing uses desktop CPU's RyuGTX. Actually something that is fairly common in large/high-end desktop replacements for years now.

I knew it was a desktop CPU. The last sentence I wrote about a mobile i7 930 was supposed to be a joke.

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS