Asus Overclocking Competition: Life Is Better With LN2

rated by 0 users
This post has 28 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,749
Points 1,210,425
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 12 2010 5:25 PM
Asus hosted an overclocking competition this past weekend and invited us out to see XtremeSystems, OC Alliance, and Team PURE vie for top honors and performance world records on both LGA1366 and 1156. I've got experience working with single-stage phase changers, which use air-conditioner compressors to cool a CPU down to roughly -50C, but liquid nitrogen-fueled overclocking is an altogether different kettle of fish. It's also firmly in the "don't try this at home", although the price of LN2 most likely makes this a moot point.

The Rampage III board here is being prepped for subzero overclocking. The substance being applied is kneaded eraser. I've used mastic tape for the same purpose, but kneaded eraser is easier to apply, can be shaped to fit around socket components, and is less likely to contain small gaps that allow condensation to penetrate down to the motherboard. Mastic tape, quite frankly, is a pain in the butt to work with—imagine trying to seal the various nooks and crannies of a motherboard using thin, relatively narrow strips of tar that latch on to any surface they touch, fuse with previous stripes, resist cutting, and stretch. God help you if you actually plan to reverse the modification; mastic tape doesn't come off easy. The compound can be dissolved, but only if you're willing to invest in a lot of lighter fluid.

There are other ways to seal motherboards (neoprene and sealant solutions are also used), but the idea of a superior solution that uses inexpensive art supplies caught my eye. Low-temperature overclockers are generally the only people who go to the trouble of sealing a motherboard, but they aren't the only group that could benefit from the practice. While there's no need to seal a water-cooled motherboard (unless you've integrated a chiller unit), doing so could provide additional insurance against the possibility of a random leak destroying an awful lot of expensive equipment.

By the time the team was finished, the Rampage III was entirely covered with but the PCI Express slots and RAM visible.

Here we've got the full-sized LN2 canisters and a liquid nitrogen pot sitting on a motherboard. Overclockers pour the LN2 into the pot where it quickly evaporates, carrying away the excess heat of the CPU. The initial evaporation is visually impressive (seen below, but caught on a different system with a different pot). As we've noted, single-stage phase-changers can take a CPU to -50C or so without a problem; liquid nitrogen can lower the processor temperature down to ~-120C or lower depending on the scenario. If that's not enough, liquid helium, with its evaporation point of -269C, is sometimes used. AMD hosted a liquid helium event last year that yielded the still-standing record for fastest Phenom II overclock at 6.89GHz, but unlike liquid nitrogen, liquid helium can be dangerous. As it evaporates it builds up in the atmosphere of a room (usually right around head level), which tends to have negative effects on those of us who breathe oxygen. Adequate ventilation (or a team of overclocking midgets) are required if you want to play with fluids whose evaporation temperatures are easily expressed in terms of absolute zero.

It's impressive AND it's frozen. Two for one deal.

Asus' dual 5870 "Ares" video card...
Some of you had a hard time seeing the card outline in our article; we've included an outline that should help.

We've already discussed the Asus Ares, but the card is impressive enough to include an additional shot of it here. In a way, both the card and the overclocking event itself are examples of how rapidly computer technology continues to advance. In order to increase the GPU and memory clocks 15 and 20 percent, Asus had to bolt on a heavier cooler, beef up the card's power plugs, and bin a select number of parts that could tolerate the additional stress. In 2-3 years, we' will see midrange GPUs delivering equivalent performance with single-slot coolers and fairly quiet fans. (That's not to say we wouldn't like an Ares now.)

As for the main event, OC Alliance was leading the LGA1366 bracket as of Saturday evening, with a new world record (according to Asus) of 6.53 GHz. At 6.5 GHz these systems are running at nearly twice the speed of Intel's current highest-end Core i7s. We don't expect to see Intel cranking up its clocks in the next 24 months—those days are over—but Francois Piednoel, one of the Intel reps who attended the event, emphasized to us that improving single-threaded performance is still a focus at Intel. Francois acknowledged that it's much harder to extract additional IPC efficiency now than it was in years past, but the company is still committed to the goal. We don't expect to see any jumps that mirror the move from Core 2 Duo to Core i7 anytime soon, since pulling the memory controller on-die is a one-time benefit, but Intel is scarcely out of ideas.
  • | Post Points: 275
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:05 PM

Again this shows you what is possible when top quality components are used and no corners are cut. Yea it is a little pricey for these types of motherboards buy for those who can appreciate quality and stability from their overclocked processor they choose Asus line of Republic of Gamer series. Impressive results again 6.5 GHz that is sick!!!!!!! Gigabyte is another solid company I put in the elite class of motherboard makers. I wonder what voltage was used to achieve that 6.5 GHz world record?

P.S. Also notice that stick of Corsair Dominator GT ram he is inserting somebody give that man a metal, he has horse sense LOL Geeked

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 5:08 PM

Awesome job they are doing there! Asus is a very nice company and this competition is great! Lets see those numbers grow to 7 or above!... :) lol

Lay_Guy i don't get that ps part... :D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 6:26 PM

FTA: "which tends to have negative effects on those of us who breathe oxygen."

ROFL!!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 6:52 PM

@ inspector I was trying to point out that using quality parts throughout a build will yield results most of the time like what we see here. I always praise Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, ect and though I would point out the RAM used in this record breaking overclock. As far as the horse sense that is to say this guy obviously understands quality parts matter when attempting extreme overclocks, but...liquid nitrogen never hurt as well I must point out. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I see Asus threw in their awesome dual 5870 board FTW!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Man, That Rampage III board is still beautiful.

This is pretty cool, (pun intended) to see them use LN2. It is to bad that we don't have the ability to use that in any of the current water cooling systems. That would be neat to walk in to BB and say I would like to get that bottle of Nitro for my cooling system :P

I never knew about sealing the MoBO. I do have alot of those erasers still in their wrappers! My only question would be. Yeah they do it here, but what are the implications in the long run with something like that? Are there any issue when it comes to heat distribution or capacitor temperatures?

Always my concern about overclocking, is stability for various tasks. I tried this with an 4850, and it worked ok for games. Yet when it came to other tasks like photoshop or other DCC, then it started crashing the system. This is why I get the proper components that suite the needs for the particular uses intended.

This seems like an interesting competition, although it is like comparing a drag racer to the car you are going to drive to work.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 9:09 PM

@ animatortom you have to seal everything that could get shorted out as there is always the concern of condensation when using using extreme cooling like this. As far as the length of running a PC under these circumstances, most of the time this is done for competition solely. For an everyday cooling solution water cooling is sufficient. Phase change, liquid nitrogen ect is not for the average Joe and Jane, this takes a skilled individual to enter this arena. Also just to repeat as I stated before issues can always arise but if you use quality components you can greatly remove this hurdle as Asus uses solid Japanese capacitors in their boards especially their high end boards such as this Rampage 3 Extreme. Hope this helps

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Yeah, That's why I said I get the right components the first time. I just never paid much attention to The Overclocking craziness.

I figured they would always just lay down some kind of mat. It always seem to me that if you blocked the MoBo that it would disrupt the capacitors ability to get airflow. In LA I never had any issues other than dust, unless I had the PC sitting right next to the the AC:)

I have been here in Waikiki for a few years now. Out here the humidity is really an issue. I have seen PC's with pretty messed up systems because of the calcifying saltwater!

I just hope, as I build up this system, it survives the air here before I get back to LA! Being a Native Fornian, I am used to the drier air and filtering the smog at night. My GF likes to sleep with the windows wide open...AHHH!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

If only they could close loop LN2, that would be sweet!

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:40 PM

That Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard box is HUGE!!! Might as well include two motherboards in there. lol

By the way, thanks for the heads up on the mastic tape.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 11:41 PM

That's and interesting conceptual idea Der Meister. I imagine the seal's and tube resiliency would be the major issue because of expansion and detraction, not to mention freezing completely lol!

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

^indeed that and the pressures involved would be immense, that and the system would need to have such a high pressure so that it would keep the LN2 liquid even after it hit the warm object. and you would need some type of heat exchanger and pump that could withstand all of the above,,, 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 9:55 AM

Maybe if a closed cooling system heated the contents into a gas, and then cooled it into a liquid and recycled it continuously? No moving parts or pumps (except, maybe, a small fan to ablate the heat) would make it reliable too. Oh wait! They have that already!

http://vapochillmicro.com/

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,082
Points 11,720
Joel H replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 11:26 AM

Realneil,

That's heatpipe technology. When you integrate an air conditioner compressor, it's a single-stage phase change unit. It's impossible to build a closed-loop LN2 cooler (practically) because of the temperatures involved. Such a system (if it's even possible to build one) would draw enormous amounts of energy and be far larger than the computer system it encompassed.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
The Vapochills are actually the same concept that they are touting for use in cars, to eliminate all the moving parts.
The gases react to the heat and chemically react in the reverse direction and cool in a cycle that is based on the amount. This is actually a great application for this chemistry. The main problem they might have is to be the most effective, it will have to be mounted on the board vertically, and most cases have the Motherboard mounted sideways.

I am an RC builder, and a mini air conditioning unit is totally possible. I just haven't met anyone who would take the time to  build mini compressors, evaporator cores and High pressure lines? If you visit a good RC shop, the tech is there to make it possible. There is just to many questions as far as reliability and condensation.  Plus if you had a liquid like R134 and a line  bursts it would be very flammable and probably turn your PC into a exploding gas tank :P You would also have to have some material like Titanium to use as the CPU sink, to make sure that it wont build up moisture. And I don't know anyone who is working with molded Titanium who can build a high pressure heat sink for me.

I think I remember these guys actually trying something like that a long time ago, but I cant be sure. Yet seriously how fast do you really need to go.  These things are usually done for fun by people who have alot of time and money on their hands.  They are about as fun as Robot wars, and just about as useful in the innovation of new tech.
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Damn wonder if that AMD processor would beat a 980X @ 5ghz. 

Always had a question about using liquid nitrogen... How often would you have to add in some and how long could you go with 1 liter of liquid nitrogen?

Imagine creating a system where you wouldn't have to manually add nitrogen but rather let it do it by itself. Just like how we have watercooling loops maybe we could have liquid nitrogen loops xD

And something like a Vapochill is too much really. I mean you could fit the whole thing internally in the bottom portion of a Lian Li V2100B but I'm not sure how it handles overclocks and condensation.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Sun, Apr 18 2010 4:36 PM

YA... i don't think that will happen any time soon(NEVER)... lol. The nitrogen evaporates fast so you would have to keep adding and no one really needs this for a computer you use everyday.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
VLiang replied on Sat, Aug 28 2010 1:45 PM

thats never gonna work if u close circuit a ln2 loop ur computers gonna explode bro. also i got my phenom ii x4 965 overclocked to 4.0ghz on air cooled lol

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 344
Points 4,535
slugbug replied on Sat, Aug 28 2010 9:00 PM

Weren't they using Liquid Helium at one competition last year?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, Sep 1 2010 9:02 PM

yea at vegas that was sick to see the cpu get to -140c..... i mean -240c

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 16 2010 1:03 PM

MCSE:
genius work

It doesn't do any good to post SPAM here, our mods are on top of it and us members turn you idiots in to them as soon as we see your crap posted.

But you guys are always too stupid to give up. Sad

Big Smile Ha-Ha! Big Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 655
hitech replied on Sat, Sep 18 2010 5:07 AM

Cooling down the system to -50 C, is too much. Why to cool down the system so much? Any article? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Sep 18 2010 12:18 PM

hitech:
Why to cool down the system so much?

They are trying to achieve records for the world's fastest computers in speed tests. In order to get their CPU's to run at superfast speeds, they have to be able to cool everything down so that they do not burn up their electronics with the heat that is generated by operating at such high speeds. It get's hot in these computers because they have to apply much more electrical power to them.

The colder temperatures that they can get to with their methods, make it easy for them to add more power to the system without burning it up. Then the computer operates at extremely high speeds and they may achieve a computer world speed record.

See Here

Many people overclock their home PC's to achieve better performance, but they do it on a much smaller scale, with methods that are safe, and not as radical. You must realize that if you overclock your PC incorrectly, you can destroy it.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 10:04 PM

The specs that go into contests like these sicken me. i go green wit envy every single time. the very best thing you can have i one room with not alot of use. what would they use those for, gaming? not likely.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 10:06 PM

The very best of the best attend these sorts of competitions i wish i had been in attendance. i bet intel has an idea of how to get past these marks, but 6.5 ghz is incredible, i believe in 4 years it will be like the i-7 is today.

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 605
oasis789 replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 10:18 PM

Now we know... When Skynet takes over, its capital city will either be in antartica, or next to an LN2 manufacturing plant. Send John Connor!

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 600
ajm135 replied on Mon, Dec 19 2011 12:39 PM

suped up computers and liquid nitrogen=total awesome sauce

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
markjames replied on Mon, May 19 2014 1:30 AM

Proper Ventilation is the one of the most important feature every electronic boards needs to use.

Page 1 of 1 (29 items) | RSS