Lenovo ThinkPad X100e Ultraportable Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,490
Points 1,196,510
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 12 2010 12:07 PM

Lenovo ThinkPad X100e Ultraportable ReviewLenovo made more noise at the Consumer Electronics Show in January than any other notebook maker, and while we have since been able to test out a few of the company's newest machines, the curious X100e had thus far eluded us. We just reviewed our sample of the smallest ThinkPad ever (that actually looks like a ThinkPad), and with Lenovo claiming that this is the company's "first professional-grade ultraportable laptop starting below $500," we knew the stakes were high.

ThinkPad loyalists may be some of the most picky in all of the notebook world, and many don't take kindly to tweaks and overhauls of their favorite portable PCs. Lenovo was really going out on a limb with the X100e, as the 11.6" display and sub-$500 start point was obviously out of character for a ThinkPad. We know the ThinkPad Edge family has already branched out, but those machines were still of their own blood. There's no mistaking that the X100e is yet another member of the "classic" ThinkPad line; from the blocked edges to the red trackpoint nub to the matte black finish, it really looks like a shrunken ThinkPad at first glance...

Lenovo ThinkPad X100e Ultraportable Review

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
Wow, that thing really looks like aThinkpad in the traditional sense:)

Funny that it took them this long to go to a netbook size.  The way it was getting, we really could give them away. Much less rebuild them thanks to all the proprietary system integrated into them.

I just wonder why they didn't go with an outer shell more inclined to the Toughbook. So businesses and military could use this?

A 4.8 for graphics is a pretty good score. Although I am sure the companies will be tracking how much WOW you play :)
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 12:05 AM

The Toughbook series was really nice, but I don't think it was that lucrative that Lenovo would introduce a small notebook as a Toughbook right at the outset. Also, this is supposed to be an ultraportable and usually weight and size is a pretty big factor.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

The Toughbook has many good uses and many loyal followers. Because it does exactly what its namesake means, Its tough :)

In a business setting, which is their primary market fro these things. Ruggedness is just as important as employer security. Many people who work out in the field use the Toughbook and almost all the military use them in deployment zones.

What I was implying is the time for these things, where people just sit behind desks is a vague memory. Hence the need for a Netbook size Thinkpad. If they would have used this size and added the Toughbook Shell so it can withstand a beating, Moisture and temperature. They would have a more viable market to exploit. I am sure many users out there would like the TB in a smaller size for easier portability. Also many Thinkpad owners would like a more durable case.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
aoc27t replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 3:36 AM

Lenovo ThinkPad X100e is a creditable attempt.

Link

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS