Study Says Almost Half Of Americans Use Social Networks

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,565
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 9 2010 7:18 PM
According to a recent survey from Arbitron and Edison Research, nearly half of Americans age 12 and older have a profile on one or more social networking Web sites. The study also revealed that the use of social networking sites is not limited to youth: Approximately 78% of teens and 77% of 18 to 24-year-olds have personal profile pages. Nearly two-thirds of Americans between the ages of 25 and 34 have personal profile pages.

Not only are more people using social networking sites in general, but they're also using them more frequently. The study suggests that 30% of Americans with a social networking profile access the social networking Web site several times a day. One year ago, only 18% of the same group said they used the site multiple times a day.

"The use of social networking sites has expanded beyond younger consumers, with substantial numbers of Americans over the age of 35 now using social media," said Bill Rose, Senior Vice President of Marketing, Arbitron Inc.

"Social networking has become a part of mainstream media behavior," said Tom Webster, Vice President of Strategy and Marketing, Edison Research.

The study also found some interesting facts about Internet access, radio, and mobile phone use:

Key Findings about Radio and Digital Platforms:
  • Nearly one in four Americans has listened to audio from an iPod or other MP3 player connected to a car stereo: Although consumers often have to deal with myriad adapters and other barriers to in-car listening, 54 percent of iPod/MP3 player owners have listened to their device in their car; this equates to 24 percent of all persons age 12 and older having listened to an iPod™, iPhone™ or other MP3 player while connected to a car stereo.
  • Three in ten 12 to 24s are "very interested" in online radio in the car and on mobile devices: Among those age 12 to 24, 30 percent are "very interested" in listening to online radio in-car, while 28 percent are "very interested" in listening to online radio on mobile devices.
  • Consumers say radio station Web sites are improved but TV and print sites are leading the local battle: Nearly half of people age 12 and older give credit to radio for improvements in their Web sites. Forty- eight percent say that radio station Web sites have gotten more interesting compared to 17 percent believing them to be worse or less interesting. However, monthly visitation to radio station Web sites (16 percent) among persons 12+ lags visitation to local TV and local newspaper Web sites.
Other key findings:
  • The Internet passes TV as most essential medium in Americans' lives: For the first time, more Americans say the Internet is "most essential" to their lives when given a choice along with television, radio, and newspapers; 42 percent chose the Internet as "most essential," with 37 percent selecting television, 14 percent choosing radio, and 5 percent said newspapers. While television still leads among those over the age of 45, Internet dominates among younger persons age 12 to 44.
  • More than six in ten households with Internet access have a Wi-Fi network at home: Sixty-two percent of homes with Internet access have wireless network set-ups in their homes, more easily enabling the consumption of digital media in any room of their home, as more and more devices feature built-in Wi-Fi such as the new Apple iPad™.
  • Texting has become a daily activity for nearly half of all mobile phone owners: Nearly half of mobile phone owners (45 percent) age 12 and older text multiple times a day. Three quarters of teens (75 percent) and persons age 18 to 24 (76 percent) text multiple times a day compared with nearly two thirds (63 percent) of 25 to 34s; and four in ten (42 percent) 35 to 44s and 45 to 54s (37 percent).
  • Broadband access has leveled and growth has stabilized for some digital platforms: Growth of residential broadband has leveled off, with 84 percent of homes with Internet access having broadband connections. The slower growth of residential broadband is associated with little year over year change in weekly usage of online radio (17 percent) and online video (29 percent). The study suggests that expanded use of use of mobile devices and in-car Internet may spark the next wave of growth.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I'm kinda like Stan from the Last South Park. Just leave me out of it Tongue Tied

That episod was funny, since my freind is working on Tron2

I am on Facebook, and a few business networks.

But I never see myself using Twitter.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

The only social network i use is facebook. Twotter is useless and thats the two main networks i know/remember. :) im not shocked by this though

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 9:57 PM

I have accounts on a few social networks but I am inactive as of now. I'm working on something really important.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Yeah... I predict Inspector is going to win it. He has alot of Spear timeGeeked

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 10:20 PM

LOL i have only been on here for a 1-2 hours this past 2 week due to sports practice and school work. when i am home i got nothing better to do then read HH Geeked lol.

Taylor, what u working on? is it related to these social networks? :D

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 10:20 PM

LOL i have only been on here for a 1-2 hours this past 2 week due to sports practice and school work. when i am home i got nothing better to do then read HH Geeked lol.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

I'll admit that I whore social networking sites. I still have my myspace account from like 5 year ago, but of course I never use it anymore because it's worthless to me. 

I rarely visit here though, I just don't seem to have time for it. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Sat, Apr 10 2010 3:00 AM

Social networking sites have ruined a lot of things...especially the meaning of friendship. Ex-friends of mine try to peer pressure me into facebook. I quit using it since it just made people lazier to socialize. If people want to contact me, they will call or leave a detailed message...not leave a lazy electronic post-it.

Flattery will get you nowhere, Marius. I have seen you posting like crazy since this contest began...lol.

Same to you as well, Inspector..lol.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Apr 10 2010 3:53 AM

Inspector:

Nah, it's a hip-hop album. Call me crazy but I wanna be a rapper and rap and stuff. Wink

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Sat, Apr 10 2010 3:57 AM

At least for me, I think social networking sites have improved my connection with friends, even if it is just a little bit.

I made a few friends that were exchange students from Japan. Now that they graduated and moved back to Japan, I can't just call them up and chat. Facebook is great so that it lets us keep up with what each other is doing at our own leisure. I check Facebook when I have time and I find out that he got hired at so-and-so company and I just comment on it. It is important enough to post it and have a small chat about it but not important enough to make an international call.

I think this works for me on a smaller level too with friends that are still somewhat local to me. I would like to let them know what is going on in my life but I don't want to call them up and tell them an hour plus long story. My friends can read about it in their free time. I also don't need an instant response. This also depends on the content for me. If it is something important like business or relationship problems, I would want to talk in person or at least on the phone.

There are different levels of communication and each has its own place. Though of course there are people who abuse things like their Facebook/Twitter and posts EVERYTHING as if they were writing a minute-by-minute documentary of their lives. But for the most part, I think that each form of communication has its pros and cons; they work well in different situations; and are here to stay. It isn't like texting has made e-mailing obsolete.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Kyouya:

Flattery will get you nowhere, Marius. I have seen you posting like crazy since this contest began...lol.

Ahah! I'm glad someone caught on. I really enjoy coming here and tuning in on all the great tech news. 

RyuGTX:

At least for me, I think social networking sites have improved my connection with friends, even if it is just a little bit.

I made a few friends that were exchange students from Japan. Now that they graduated and moved back to Japan, I can't just call them up and chat. Facebook is great so that it lets us keep up with what each other is doing at our own leisure. I check Facebook when I have time and I find out that he got hired at so-and-so company and I just comment on it. It is important enough to post it and have a small chat about it but not important enough to make an international call.

I think this works for me on a smaller level too with friends that are still somewhat local to me. I would like to let them know what is going on in my life but I don't want to call them up and tell them an hour plus long story. My friends can read about it in their free time. I also don't need an instant response. This also depends on the content for me. If it is something important like business or relationship problems, I would want to talk in person or at least on the phone.

There are different levels of communication and each has its own place. Though of course there are people who abuse things like their Facebook/Twitter and posts EVERYTHING as if they were writing a minute-by-minute documentary of their lives. But for the most part, I think that each form of communication has its pros and cons; they work well in different situations; and are here to stay. It isn't like texting has made e-mailing obsolete.

I really agree with you on that one. I have a friend Mike, who lives in Connenicut. We met each other like....5 years ago on Xbox Live back on Halo 2. Honestly I think it's fate, if you believe in such a thing. I joined my friend FALCON007 on a map called Turf. He was in a clan for Halo 2 called Innovative Film. I joined him so we could scout some filming areas in the game that would look good. When I joined him another player called annoyingbluepie was basically doing the same thing that I was. 

Pie and I really got along for the three hours that we screwed around on that map, and some good ideas were had. Since then Mike (annoyingbluepie) and I have been chatting at least everyday for 5 years. We have progressed from using AIM Video/Voice chat, to using skype virtually everyday. Now, the reason that I say that is seemed like fate, was because Mike and I both share a passion for Film. After college both of us want to meet up and journey over the California and try our hand at the big time in movie making. 

We've even met up face to face, so it's not like we're strangers or anything. Basically he went with his parents for Florida for vacationing. Well, he convinced his mom and dad (who I also befriended through Mike) to come down for a few hours in my small little town and chill. That was about a year ago. Well, when mike and his parents pulled into my driveway his mom and dad greeted me with a warm hug. Mike and I just stared at each other and then shook hands and went inside to play some Rock Band 2. 

Honestly, seeing Mike in person wasn't weird at all. It's like I had known him for years. We have this brotherly bond thing going on now, and our passion for Film still holds strong. 

I've been using Xbox Live since I was 12 years old. I know what you're thinking, XBL isn't a social networking site, but it was XBL that led me to Mike, and this website called Praetoriaguard. PG is the longest lasting Halo 2 clan in existence right now, and they are still going on strong. A lot of members there are really popular, almost famous in the XBL community, especially one known as KilaMOMjaro. 

The Praetoriaguard basically stands for friendship, good times, and no immature crap from anybody. They symbolize recreational, competitive, and good gaming across the board, and it showed me that there were good people on Xbox Live besides the trash talking 12 year olds, and racist people you will normally meet on games like Halo 3 and MW2. 

I am friends with Facebook with basically every Clan member at PG, and all of the overlords as well. 

Now, to wrap this all up. Social Networking sites and mediums have allowed me to expand my friendship with people across the entire World, not just with this small little dot on the map in South Carolina. 

I am no longer living inside of a little bubble, I've met and chatted with people from different backgrounds and different parts of the world. I've learned of their culture and habits, and also learned about how different their social views are from the South. This is one reason why I want to leave the South, haha. I feel like I don't fit in here now that I know what I'm missing. 

Sorry that was a mouthful. 

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 490
Xolso replied on Sat, Apr 10 2010 4:52 PM

I have a myspace/facebook account only because my friends kept harassing me to make one. I rarely log on and if I do it's just to check my messages.

What I do use often is youtube and twitter.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,670
digitaldd replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 9:26 AM

Interesting reading. Here's something I found on College humor on Social Network math.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
Hey DigitalDD,

How did you get the image embedded into the thread?

I tried it earlier and it didn't show, just those little [X] Boxes!
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,670
digitaldd replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 11:09 AM

animatortom:

Hey DigitalDD,

How did you get the image embedded into the thread?

I tried it earlier and it didn't show, just those little [X] Boxes!

The Images I linked are hosted on http://imgur.com I just copy/pasted the direct links to the images into the From URL section under insert media. If you use the message board specific links, the ones with the and tags they don't work on these forums for some reason. You can also upload the images you want to embed here and use the From Site option under Insert Media. Also direct linking from some sites is forbidden so its good to download the images and use a reliable imagehost, I've had very good luck with imgur.com myself a lot of the other imagehosts like tinypic.com and imagehost.org tend to pull stuff down very quickly. but the imgur stuff stays there for months.

I hope this helps you any anyone else having trouble linking images.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
It does, Thanks :)

I don't like to use image hosts, so I just I am stuck on that side of it. I just went ahead and uploaded some pics to the HH site, so I figure I will post them there. I have not tried to put them into the threads yet, But I am sure it might work from there. They probably do it, so they can make sure the property right are tagged to each specific user.
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX