A New Way To Build Computer Memory

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,687
Points 104,340
MembershipAdministrator
realneil Posted: Fri, Apr 9 2010 12:26 PM

HP seems to have taken an old technology and dragged it into our future. It's scalability seems to be unlimited according to reports.

Check It Out Here.

RealNeil

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

“Our brains are made of memristors,” he said, referring to the function of biological synapses. “We have the right stuff now to build real brains.”

Spooky, yet exciting I would say. I also imagine that this means we are closer to devising a credible AI. 

The most advanced transistor technology today is based on minimum feature sizes of 30 to 40 nanometers — by contrast a biological virus is typically about 100 nanometers — and Dr. Williams said that H.P. now has working 3-nanometer memristors that can switch on and off in about a nanosecond, or a billionth of a second.

Wow! 3 nanometers? I guess that article was accurate when it said that we would soon be building chips on the atomic scale. 

He said the company could have a competitor to flash memory in three years that would have a capacity of 20 gigabytes a square centimeter.

If this is true, then we will see a glorious revolution in computer technology. 

I bet companies like Pixar and DreamWorks are cheering right now, knowing that creating their animated movies just got easier, and more efficient to boot. 

I honestly wasn't expecting this from HP, but props to them. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

WOW, interesting article. this year many new ways to make things faster have popped up and i can see this is going to be a great technology year! Im not a HP fan but they are doing great with this!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

Marius Malek:
“Our brains are made of memristors,” he said, referring to the function of biological synapses. “We have the right stuff now to build real brains.”

The 'Our brains are memristors' statement can't be proven until they can reanimate a corpse, IMO.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS