Apple iPad Review: The Tablet Revolution Begins

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,213
Points 1,187,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 8 2010 11:39 AM

Apple iPad Review: The Tablet Revolution BeginsWe've had the opportunity to review a few tablet / netbook combinations here at HotHardware (the Eee PC T91 from Asus immediately comes to mind), but in the 10+ years of covering computing technology, there has yet to be a tablet as polarizing, alluring, and promising as iPad. And after all of these years, who would've thought that it would be Apple leading the tablet charge of 2010? Early last decade, somewhere around 2003 or 2004, there was a huge push for tablet PCs to make it big. That's a long time ago, for sure, but we recall it feeling a little bit like the netbook push of 2008. Companies were hailing their tablets as "all new machines," with new form factors that would "redefine" the way we used a computer. We were told that our keyboard and mouse were no longer necessary, and so long as we had a free hand, we had a means to enjoy a full-fledged computing experience.

But those tablets were, putting it simply, way ahead of their time. Most were very bulky (some nearly 2" thick), screens were generally low-res, battery life was abysmal and Windows XP simply was not optimized for touch. It felt like manufacturers were shoving an operating system that was designed from the ground-up to be used with a mouse and keyboard into a device with neither, and then they all wondered why no one wanted to pay more for the things than the average notebook. Users simply saw no real benefit in using a tablet over a laptop, and they definitely didn't see the need in paying more for less convenience. For years, the tablet PC lived on primarily in two places: hospitals and in the wild. Panasonic kept a Toughbook Tablet or two alive for years since it was such a great machine in the field, and obviously medical charting works very well on a tablet-styled device. But consumers? Most simply ignored them and moved on.

Apple iPad Review: The Tablet Revolution Begins

• | Post Points: 140
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Thu, Apr 8 2010 12:06 PM

I've been looking forward to reading this review in detail to see if this website can convert me to believing the Ipad has potential. Sadly, it does not. However, Marco pointed out something in the last paragraph in the review.

"Some Windows PC users and hardcore computing enthusiasts will probably look elsewhere at some of the more complete, competitive tablet solutions coming to market this year, but for everyone else, the iPad brings a lot of computing fun and function on the go."

That sentence sums up everything. It is not for people who watercool their desktops, overclock their cpus, uses RAID, vmware, linux or other non-mainstream software or techniques that maximize their PCs or even Macs (Yeah, I said Macs...lol). The Ipad's small memory of ram (256mb) and its lack of customization (USB ports, SD slots, unable to take the battery off) can be a real turnoff.

Other than that, I thought the Ipad was very fitting for those who don't need an intensive digital experience. That was...until I saw this news this morning after I read the review...

http://www.dailytech.com/Apples+Hot+iPad+is+Overheating+WiFi+Not+Working+for+Some+Users/article18075.htm

Now, the Wi-Fi problem can be resolved as it is shown with the following link:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/07/apple-confirms-ipad-issues-with-dual-band-wifi-routers-offers-f/

However, that being said, the overheating issue stinks....especially when you have to put your Ipad in a refrigerator to cool it down since it dissipates heat poorly. You might as well only use the Ipad indoors since it is heat sensitive. There is no way you can use this in the summer when the Ipad will just automatically shut down if the temperature is above 35 degrees Celsius.

I would also like to point out that Apple's app store policy is just as bad as Microsoft's Xbox Live where they want full control on what is to be available to the public.

All in all, I'll settle for netbook anytime and anyday of the week over an Ipad. I'll pass.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Apr 8 2010 12:07 PM

Very nice review, and not a bad little system.

Now, I've got to go write them a nasty letter for not printing double-sided and wasting virtual paper in the iBook app.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

more or less my thoughts on it exactly.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Just a few points to help you guys out...  Lots of these are just minor annoyances

You can not hover (actually you can do hover by flicking really really lightly on the (small) button, just most people don't know this)

Lots of HTML rendering issues (and I'm not talking about flash, try naving Facebook)

Price per GB of storage past 16 ($6.25 per GB beyond 16 for the 32 model, $4.16~ per GB beyond 16 for the 64 model)

No proper filing system (get a bunch of docs in Pages and then try to find the one you were working on...)

No up/down (you guys lost where the home button or volume rocker was yet?)

App rearrangement (the 5x4 layout switches to a 4x5 when rotating, causing top right apps to move to middle left)

No stereo sound (two speakers firing out the same hole do not stereo but mono sound make)

Wi-Fi (sure they listed some fixes, but it is buggy as hell)

iPhone apps do not rotate

No Multi-tasking (I know I know, said already but this is a HUGE deal breaker)

Touch keyboard (seriously, just look at Anand's in-depth review to get an idea of the pain actually using this most of the time)

Not widescreen?! (What is this, 1990?  With most media coming out being widescreen, why would you release a media device that isn't?)

No GPS (this thing would be great for nav... but no GPS)

oleophobic coating just does not work well on the iPad

Screen is near unreadable in sunlight (not that you will be using it in the sun, since it overheats like a mutha)

USB charging, shaky at best (need a 5w plus USB port, which isn't very common at all)

Headphone jack (why on top of the thing?)

Why no widgets?  (All that screen space just wasted)

Horizontal holding/home button (be careful while your playing a game, hit the button and game closes)

Unstable apps (I'm shocked that this wasn't mentioned.  Apps are crashing on these things a *LOT*)

Cost of iPad apps (seriously, double?!)

Pages doesn't ($10 for Apples word app which doesn't even work right)

Spelling auto-correction (doesn't work/often gives crazy words)

Consuming, not creating (Not really a gripe, but what the iPad is)

That's enough for now.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Referring to the video, I was very impressed with how fluid the motions on the interface were. If Apple is doing something right, it's creating an OS that can be extremely responsive to touch, and it shows with how efficiently it handles your finger movements. One thing in particular that I noticed was how fast the images loaded. There was no lag at all between the cycles. Using Safari on a WiFi network was pretty impressive as well. The HH webpage loaded pretty well and the Pinch/Zoom feature showed virtually zero pixelation, regardless of how fast you attempted a zoom. But as always, the greatest downside for the iPad is the fact that it doesn't support flash encoded videos. At least it plays YouTube though. 

It's true that the App Store is growing everyday. Jobs said that there was over 100,000 apps currently in circulation, and that there was no apparent end in sight. But how many of those apps are actually being used? There are Apple App developers out there that are creating apps to try to return a profit for purchasing a $100 licensing charge, and they can't turn over anything because their apps get lost in the sea. I've wanted to jump on that bandwagon and try to pay my way through college by making apps that are popular and sell for cheap. But honestly I don't see a point anymore, I'm 2 years behind the craze, and I believe that all of the good ideas have been taken up. I understand that I'm being pessimistic, but a guy is making thousands of dollars a month for creating an App that simulates various farting noises. I mean, where is the hope in that? 

Gaming will be more popular on the iPad specifically because it has a larger screen and better capabilities. But I too am perplexed on why Apple wont' reveal all of the iPad's system specifications. Are they just paranoid? Or maybe it's like you said, the low powered GPU keeps the iPad alive for much longer than other tablets out there. But the real question is: How will people successfully integrate this in their day by day life? I really feel like this product is one of those "wow" factors that just eventually die. It's like, playing a video game campaign, beating it, reveling in the awesomeness, and then shelving it. The internet experience is better on the iPad simply because it's better than the iPhone, in terms of size at least, the larger screen allows for an easier web browsing experience. 

But I'm extremely biased towards any product that Apple throws out on the market, so I am really trying to be nice here. But I have to say, that I think that these devices are so popular because of their simplicity: the fact that anybody can pick it up, no matter their intellectual ability with computers. The iPad is still being held back into it utilizes the full potential of the OS 4.0 that is coming out soon. I feel like I am thrown away from it regardless though. Just the fact that I can't hot wire a USB connection from my computer to an iPad, and upload media date on there is a really big turn off for me. We'll see what happens in the coming months. 

Great review guys!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105
dcford replied on Thu, Apr 8 2010 10:32 PM

Excellent objective review..... The lack of a killer must have app I'm sure is hurting Apples adoption of the iPad. Multitasking will come but the lack of a camera, USB port, and SD card reader which could all be done with add on peripherals are really a detourant.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,599
Points 54,995
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Apr 8 2010 11:28 PM

Thanks dcford. Glad you flet we gave it a fair shake. That's our keen focus here is being fair and balanced.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Thu, Apr 8 2010 11:45 PM

Really nice review. I'm still not interested in buying one but this review was nice. I never said anything about the graphics for gaming as i guessed it would be great. How ever i think the ipad is too large to do racing games like that one. I might get tired holding it up tilting left and right but maybe im just weak :). If they decide to add features i could use i may consider one as i want a ereader anyways xD. The website speed test is a nice graph have :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,478
Points 47,090
ForumsAdministrator

The iPad is waaay too expensive, doesn't do Flash Player, and AT&T is the sole provider of data service. Yuk. Unless you just gotta have the newest hardware, wait - there are going to be a whole bunch of new tablets very soon from other manufacturers for LE$$. Perhaps Apple will sue one of them, too.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Super Dave:

The iPad is waaay too expensive, doesn't do Flash Player, and AT&T is the sole provider of data service. Yuk. Unless you just gotta have the newest hardware, wait - there are going to be a whole bunch of new tablets very soon from other manufacturers for LE$. Perhaps Apple will sue one of them, too.

To be perfectly honest with you, I wouldn't be surprised by that action from Apple at all. 

Could that be why they aren't fully revealing the iPad's specs? 

/dun dun dun

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Fair and Balanced!
You sly Fox's

I beck you guys reilly know how to throw a party :)

Good review. I was wondering how this thing would stand up in the WiFi arena, that answers it.  Even with this review, I think I will wait for the Slate just for the ports and camera.  Hopefully they will take a cue from the same battery manufacturer and give us the same performance the Ipad has.

One thing I was wondering about. Autodesk signed on to partake in the marketing blitz, by saying this is teamed up with Sketchbook Pro. I still don't understand how one can use just your hands for something like that. Or if the GPU has the capability to go past 200DPI? I'd probably feel like a kid trying to fingerpaint.

Is there any mention of this being able to use any kind of stylus?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,659
Points 104,155
MembershipAdministrator

Yes, it's an Apple, therefore it's expensive & It's cool too.

It's an Apple, therefore it's tightly controlled and anyone who tries to change this will suffer at the hands of Job's legal teams.

The review was stellar and very informative. I would have had to actually GO to an Apple store and drink the Kool-Aid to learn all about this thing otherwise. Thank You for taking the time to do this right Marco and Dave.

DCFord wrote: "The lack of a killer must have app I'm sure is hurting Apples adoption of the iPad"

I'm sure that selling 300,000 units in just the first day doesn't feel like poor adaptation to the folks at Apple.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

realneil:

It's an Apple, therefore it's tightly controlled and anyone who tries to change this will suffer at the hands of Job's legal teams.

See that's what really upsets me about Jobs. When people buy a Mac they get exactly what comes out of the package. You can't mess with the OS's settings very much, or do any other forms of modifications that you can do on a Windows PC. 

Unrelated, I thought of this picture: 

http://www.xahlee.org/funny/i/mac_win_linux_perceptions-s.jpg

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,478
Points 47,090
ForumsAdministrator

Great news: You can return your new iPad within 14 days if you don't like it! Read HERE and HERE.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 5:06 PM

Super Dave:

Great news: You can return your new iPad within 14 days if you don't like it! Read HERE and HERE.

Yeah. My roommate works at Best Buy and he saw a few returns basically the next day. The customers probably brought it home, turned it on, and then realized that the $499 device was not useful.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

HEHE, everyone return your ipads now! Apple was happy with how many people bought their products... what if everyone returns their ipad now :P lol

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,478
Points 47,090
ForumsAdministrator

Have you guys seen Mad TV's version of the iPad? Yikes! Check it out HERE.Surprise

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Mon, Apr 12 2010 10:00 AM

Super Dave:

Have you guys seen Mad TV's version of the iPad? Yikes! Check it out HERE.Surprise

Wow I'm surprised they are still on the air.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS