Data Robotics Enter NAS World With Networked Drobo FS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,235
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 6 2010 10:19 AM
Data Robotics has been making other mass storage devices look sort of silly for years now, as the company's Drobo line of smart storage solutions tends to keep a better eye on your files than the more traditional RAID setups. Just a few short months after launching the Drobo S and DroboElite, the company has announced their first-ever NAS drive: Drobo FS.

It stands for Drobo File Server, and while the company is hesitant to actually call it a NAS drive, that's precisely what it is. It uses the same 5-bay enclosure as the Drobo S, offering users the ability to mix and match hard drives as they go. The BeyondRAID technology that keeps your files from getting lost if a drive fails is still here, with the main addition being the ability to access files from it via a network or the Internet.

In fact, a Gigabit Ethernet port on the rear is the only connection available, so it's NAS or bust here. The drive is pretty simple: it's all the things you love about Drobo, but now on a network. The Drobo FS is shipping today starting at $699 for an empty unit, with 10TB models available for those with extreme storage needs.

Drobo FS Features and Benefits

• Plug-In and Share – The Drobo FS connects directly to any GigabitEthernet network for a true plug in and share set-up experience.Supports standard data transfer protocols including Apple File Protocol(AFP) and Microsoft Common Internet File System (CIFS).
  • 5-Drive Capacity and Instant Expansion to 10TB and Beyond –Customers with growing storage requirements can easily add datacapacity by simply inserting a new hard drive or replacing the smallestdrive with a larger one, even when all five drive bays are full. WithDrobo FS, expansion is automatic, instantaneous, and access to data isalways maintained.
  • Single- and Dual-Drive Redundancy – The Drobo FS dual driveredundancy option protects against the simultaneous failure of up totwo hard drives. Customers can engage this option with a single clickwithout ever losing access to their data.
  • Self-Healing Technology – With BeyondRAID, the Drobo FScontinually examines data blocks and sectors on each drive to flagpotential issues. The preemptive “scrubbing” helps ensure data is beingwritten only to healthy drive areas and automatically keeps data in thesafest state possible – even when a drive fails.
  • Customizable Storage – Utilizing the growing library ofDroboApps, including media and web applications, users can customizethe Drobo FS to further enhance their sharing experience.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Self-Healing Technology – With BeyondRAID, the Drobo FScontinually examines data blocks and sectors on each drive to flagpotential issues. The preemptive “scrubbing” helps ensure data is beingwritten only to healthy drive areas and automatically keeps data in thesafest state possible – even when a drive fails.

I find this most interesting of all. This is basically perfect for people who want to set up small servers, but are a little skeptical on whether or not their files are safe from harm due to black outs and power surges, or corrupted discs. 

The BeyondRAID technology that keeps your files from getting lost if a drive fails is still here, with the main addition being the ability to access files from it via a network or the Internet.

This sounds nice. If I want music that's on the Drobo and not my computer, I don't have to swap harddrives, I can just hot wire a connection via internet and download the file. Brilliant!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 865
M-ManLA replied on Tue, Apr 6 2010 7:37 PM

Looks good but a little pricey.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 125

This is actually relatively cheap, look at any other 10TB capable NAS device and you're looking at 1000-2000 for empty configurations. Bundle in their BeyondRAID software and you've got a great deal here.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Apr 7 2010 2:10 AM

Always wanted to try out a Drobo product because the features seem really helpful. Especially the Self-Healing Technology.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,911
Points 24,625
digitaldd replied on Wed, Apr 7 2010 11:04 AM

So they added an Ethernet port to one of their non pro units. That's good. Used to be you had to but the network add-on for the USB only units for another $100 or so.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

My Mac-Head friends swear by Drobo boxes. They have a reputation for no-muss-no fuss operation and rock solid reliability too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

This is something many people can use. I am just a little shocked that the price is for an empty unit?

They should at least throw in the first 2TB drive as a buffer:P

This would be a good solution for any home studio or small business.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance