Verizon To Offer 3D Content To FiOS TV Customers In 2010

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,111
Points 1,184,025
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 4 2010 11:30 AM
3D. It's a format that's being talked about, and implemented, almosteverywhere these days. It's impossible to avoid, but thankfully itdoesn't seem that 3D will be completely replacing 2D anytime soon. 3Das a format has had its fair share of pundits due to having to wear 3Dglasses to view most implementations, but to say that no buzz has beencreated because of it would be an outright lie. Now, cable andsatellite companies are lining up to offer 3D content to consumers,without really knowing how long the lines will be to take them up onthe service. It reminds us somewhat of the initial HD rollouts, but atleast with HD, there was a general feeling that every consumer wantedin, with the only hurdle being the high cost of an HDTV.

This weekend, Verizon has announced that they will join DirecTV andComcast in planning a 3D programming offering. What's interesting aboutthis is that Verizon is far from being one of the most prolific pay-TVoperators; it has connections in just 18 U.S. states, and theyannounced last week that their rollouts were hitting a stop. The goodnews for current customers is that Verizon clearly cares about theirFiOS and FiOS TV offerings, and they're still working to improve andexpand service to the areas where this option is available.

Shawn Strickland, vice president of FiOS product management forVerizon, had this to say about the company's future entry in 3D, whichshould happen sometime later this year:

"Verizon believes that new technology especially entertainment opportunities as great as 3D TV promises to be must be accommodated and delivered rationally and superbly, just as wehave done with our HD TV offering.  As the industry transitions tostereoscopic 3D, we are developing a broad 3D offering focused onsustainable, ongoing 3D entertainment options that can be offered to all FiOS TV customers whobuy one of the new stereoscopic 3D television sets.  As we have donewith HD, our commitment will be to bring the broadest range of 3Dprogramming to the marketplace, supported by a best-in-class userexperience.  Today, we fulfill that promise with up to 140 HD channelsand thousands of HD VOD titles.  Ultimately, we expect to provide thesame industry leadership with 3D.  

"Themarket for 3D TV is very early in its development.  We're monitoringthe early sales of 3D TVs and expect to announce a 3D offering well inadvance of the holiday TV-shopping season, when 3D television saleswill expand.

"3Dcontent is just now becoming available from a handful of providers likeESPN.  As it becomes available, TV service providers like Verizon willnegotiate deals to telecast that content.  We are in active discussionswith a number of companies in the emerging 3D value chain."

We get the feeling that Verizon's announcement will be followed soonby many other cable providers; if a relatively small carrier such asVerizon can get deals to carry 3D content, we feel confident thatbigger operators like Time Warner Cable and Dish Network will also beonboard soon. The question is: will you pay extra for the added depth?Would you buy a 3D HDTV if the 3D content were provided at no extracharge?

• | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Sun, Apr 4 2010 4:27 PM

I have pretty much stopped watching sports. I just rarely watch when someone else is wants to watch and the occasional tennis grand slams. Other than that, what would I want to watch in 3D? I do watch a lot of Food Network but that doesn't seem that appealing in 3D. Looks so good already in 2D.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Apr 4 2010 6:27 PM

This confuses me though! I thought we heard in the last 2 weeks that Verizon Fios introduction and expansion was being significantly curtailed or lessened. As far as it goe expansion of channels is for non existing subscribers. Most of the people who use FIOS use it for the internet and the combination of all services over one connection which Fiber enables. These individuals largely are not going anywhere, so you expand making more want your service, but stop expanding, and therefore gaining new fresh customers? It make no sense to me really.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 4 2010 7:31 PM

It is kind of screwed up, isn't it R1?

I believe what it comes down to is short-term stock price. Verizon's going to show quick profit by pulling more money out of the infrastructure they have. Costly rollouts would be a better long-term investment, but that's not what gets the execs big bonuses. Surprise.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

I'm not entirely convinced that 3D technology should be implemented into the world of Sports entertainment. 

Let me set the state for you: 

MOST of the people that watch sports are: 

A) Sitting on their couch with a beer in hand

B) Sitting at a sports bar with a beer in hand

C) Throwing a party with sports on and a beer in hand

I'm not really sure that when people watch sports, that their initial focus will be, "Oh look guys, that wide receiver looks extra realistic."

Personally I think they'll be concentrating more on the fact that the WR just caught a 50 yard pass is making a sprint for the goal line. 

But that's just me. I don't have FiOS nor can I afford it. I'm sure that I would definitely notice the different between standard HD and HD 3D, but right now I think movies that are advertised as 3D will be getting the most attention...at least in the theaters because current home theater setups are just too darn expensive for the average consumer to purchase at this day and age. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Mon, Apr 5 2010 12:18 AM

I think Verizon might be jumping the gun here with the 3D hype, again HD is just starting to be accepted as the norm. Like the article states "The market for 3D TV is very early in its development. We're monitoring the early sales of 3D TVs and expect to announce a 3D offering well in advance of the holiday TV-shopping season, when 3D television sales will expand". It Seems to me they want to be ready should a huge demand occur for 3D televisions but I cannot see this happening this year at all. Maybe 2 or 3 years out it might gain some traction but as of now it's pure speculation (hit or miss). I will say the concept does sound appealing I just do not think it is ready for prime time, as it is being packaged.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Mon, Apr 5 2010 2:19 AM

In Canada, we are light years away from what the US is getting from Verizon. All we have is a crummy HD box that plays very limited channels in HD. FiOS is wishful thinking up here. My HDTV monitor hybrid is being wasted on watching analog cable signals. *Sigh* I wouldn't mind paying extra for a FiOS, but that will never be...even if it's 3D or not since I am a big sports junkie.

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 625
greyad replied on Mon, Apr 5 2010 2:25 AM

i think verizon will have the best 3d content because it has the infrasuture to support 3d easily and i am probably the only guy who supports and likes 3d..

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

The ALL-IN-ONE-SOLUTIONS! Yeah Baby!

I know Verizon said they will slow down, I think they are just going to take a cue from Apple on marketing. They will say not happening cut expenses, then build up demand...then bam! Everyone is standing in line to get that new HTC smartphone with a TV tuner and projector built in:P

I think all the phone companies will either replace TV providers or merge with them. They have to get us all into a one solution market now don't they! So we can all watch TV on the smartphones anywhere we roam! It will probably be a while latter when we see it. But I am sure they will provide everyone with the same lineup they have now. one set of channels that are standard def, then one in HD, then the same ones in 3D!

I am sure this will all be reasonable soon as long as we all don't buy into silly fads like Hulu and FloTv! Good concepts but do you really need to pay another service fee when you can just DVR it and port "the Big Bang" to the Ipod and projector.

Remember you control the product. If you stop seeing the remakes of movies, then they will be forced to come up with something new! Just wait for the remake on DVD, rent it and have viewing parties with everyone you know! If they know people will only pay for the next original Star Wars, and not a 5th Rambo. Then they will stop and rethink! They are almost there, that is why they have to roll things out like 3D. Because they cant come up with new stuff that people want to see without feeling ripped off! if we force the executives to fail, then the consumer and actual production teams will be in control again :)

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Apr 5 2010 6:42 PM

Marius Malek:

I'm not entirely convinced that 3D technology should be implemented into the world of Sports entertainment. 

Let me set the state for you: 

MOST of the people that watch sports are: 

A) Sitting on their couch with a beer in hand

B) Sitting at a sports bar with a beer in hand

C) Throwing a party with sports on and a beer in hand

I'm not really sure that when people watch sports, that their initial focus will be, "Oh look guys, that wide receiver looks extra realistic."

Personally I think they'll be concentrating more on the fact that the WR just caught a 50 yard pass is making a sprint for the goal line. 

But that's just me. I don't have FiOS nor can I afford it. I'm sure that I would definitely notice the different between standard HD and HD 3D, but right now I think movies that are advertised as 3D will be getting the most attention...at least in the theaters because current home theater setups are just too darn expensive for the average consumer to purchase at this day and age. 

Not that I am against you, because I do agree a lot. But aren't there also a lot of people who wished they could be at the game physically? Like court-side seats at a basketball game. So MAYBE this 3D is just giving fans a leap into that direction. So without paying loads of money for season tickets, they could watch from home with a bunch of friends. Maybe 3D is more of an experience than realism because 2D already has realism covered. 3D gives you the depth that may or may not help give television viewers just how amazing that play was. Half-court shot in basketball or a 50 yard pass in football is probably best experienced at the game. 3D TV is one step closer to achieving that for home viewers. If sports can kick-off HDTVs, I think they will have to be the ones to do it for 3D TV. Not that I'm saying it will be a success. Just saying they have to be the main supporter IF they want any hopes of this selling well.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS