NVIDIA Showcases Ion's Capabilities In GPU-Intensive IE9 Tests

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,851
Points 1,171,220
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 1 2010 8:32 AM
If you've managed to glance through any of our recent netbook reviews, you'd know that we're big fans of NVIDIA's Ion. This technology has enabled netbooks to handle multi-media in a way they never could using older integrated GPUs, and we honestly wish there were more options out there just like it. One area that often gets overlooked is just how important a GPU is when browsing the Web, particularly when viewing graphically intense sites like Bing Maps or YouTube HD. Believe it or not, the GPU is becoming a more and more important part of browsing as the Web advances, and that trend isn't slowing down soon.

NVIDIA managed to get an early build of Internet Explorer 9 onto a pair of netbooks, one with Ion and one without. They then ran a series of tests on them to show how much difference the Ion chipset made, and it's all shown in the video just below. They're all pretty stunning. A map zooming test showed the non-Ion machine lagging way behind, while the 3D rendering test showed the Ion machine hitting around 44FPS and the non-Ion machine hitting around 3FPS. A big difference, obviously. The Ion machine in question is actually the Asus Eee PC 1201PN, due out this month in America, and if this video is any indication, it'll be quite the little powerhouse when it starts shipping.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Thu, Apr 1 2010 12:30 PM

wow, that really speeds up the browser! The part with all the logos spinning... it hurt my eyes! xD the ion one was spinning fast and the other one was like not even moving... lol the guy raging Stick out tongue

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180

GPU's are becoming more and more important no question. This is why I think eventually Intel will buy Nvidia as their graphics play a major role in viewing HD content or just viewing rich graphics. The GPU really enhances the experience and for a netbook and desktops in general and I see this trend continuing in the future.This will propel Intel to the next level of visual entertainment which is what the average Joe and Jane are looking for from their PC.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Maybe if Nvidia can make max render that fast, I might think about one of their GPU's :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Thu, Apr 1 2010 3:41 PM

Hopefully the price difference between an ION platform and an integrated Intel graphics isn't that big.

I don't know about Intel buying Nvidia just yet. Intel just got graphics integrated with their cpu which should increase performance. And this should be sufficient for the average Joe and Jane for now.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,890
sp12 replied on Thu, Apr 1 2010 4:20 PM

I certainly hope Intel doesn't buy Nvidia, it would only hurt consumers.

Intel currently has both crossfire and sli support.

Though tech-wise, Intel's advanced fabs and x86 expertise could help Nvidia's GPGPU tech, as well as system integration.

Though I wouldn't actually be surprised if it happened.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

So the future is GPU integration with Internet browsers. Interesting. I like where this is going honestly, and it's really surprising that Internet Explorer 9 will be bringing this to the table first, especially coupled with Nvidia Ion. 

GPU recognition sounds like an excellent idea. Will this possibly eliminate the need for Flash by any chance, or utterly improve it? 

I was impressed with the Google Earth demonstration. I like how the Ion can cycle through the zooming process with literally seamless clarity. It definitely makes our current technology look low grade. I also liked how they zoomed into a vegas hotel....I think. 

I was planning on getting a netbook specifically for college, but I was always turned away from them because they feel so worthless that  smartphones would be more applicable to my needs. But this has rekindled everything. 

Thanks for filling me in HH. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 1,710

Ah it would have been cool if I had Ion in my netbook but I wanted a netbook that would last without having to charge for a long time... but I'm also a gamer... so ahhh Dx

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,576
Points 103,180
MembershipAdministrator

The one on the right is plugged into regular power, and the one on the left is plugged into a Potato. Not fair!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:06 PM

It's surprising. I didn't think that GPU's would be the future but here it is, making text look better and accelerating future web applications.

And while IE9 may be the first, The alpha version of Firefox 3.7 has this implemented currently and I'm using it right now.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS