Warner Bros. Hiring Tech Savvy Student Snitches

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,699
Points 1,207,805
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Mar 30 2010 11:54 AM
Tech savvy students living in the UK have an opportunity to pull in a pretty respectable part-time income and move up from dining on Ramen Noodles to fast food joints. All they have to do is snitch on their fellow classmates as part of Warner Bros.'s anti-piracy efforts.

It's actually a little more involved in that and the qualifying candidate will have to possess a bit of IT know-how. The job description reads as follows:
During the 12 month internship, duties will include: monitoring local Internet forums and IRC for pirated WB and NBCU content and in order to gather information on pirate sites, pirate groups and other pirate activities; finding new and maintaining existing accounts on private sites; scanning for links to hosted pirated WB and NBCU content and using tools to issue takedown requests; maintaining and developing bots for Internet link scanning system (training provided); preparing sending of infringement notices and logging feedback; performing trap purchases of pirated product and logging results; inputting pirate hard goods data and other intelligence into the forensics database; selecting local keywords and submitting local filenames for monitoring and countermeasure campaigns and periodically producing research documents on piracy related technological developments. Various training will be provided.

While not exactly a walk in the park, the snitch job candidate stands to receive £17,500, which converts to about $26,350 in American currency.

Interested? Find out more here (PDF).
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Points 945
JoelB replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 12:09 PM

$26,350 a year? No thanks. I'd rather shovel dirt for $12-$15/hour. At least that way I'm outside and getting exercise.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 1,710
moethelawn replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 12:33 PM

I would laugh if that intern gets a DMCA notice while on the job.  I too would not work for WB or anyone that would have me do this.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 12:39 PM

Really? i hate snitching!

Also moethelawn that would be so funny! xD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Well that's just not right. I wouldn't want to catch any student here doing that. We don't like snitches around here...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 1:41 PM

I got 99 problems, but a snitch ain't one.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 1:50 PM

You have to consider some additional things in this though. If you live in Great Britain many of your base needs as well as medical and a few other things are automatically provided. So if you figure that into this and then earn $18,000.00 on top of it your standard of living will be raised significantly.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 107
Points 2,095
RA1D replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 2:00 PM

Intel 920 / Rampage II Extreme / Dominator 6GB DDR3-1600 / Gigabyte SuperOC 5870  / Torqx 128GB

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Indeed, time are tough for England, especially during this recession. However, since it's London's policies that allowed the subprime mortgage to perpetuate as much as it did, my sympathy is somewhat limited.

RA1D:

+1

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 2:45 PM

I bet no one is going to signup for this, maybe its to scare them in to thinking someone around them is watching them...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Points 960
Zestia replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 6:39 PM

While the job is in my opinion ironically morally objectionable, it's probably a great career launcher for any student looking to move into IT security.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 6:59 PM

I don't know about that, Zestia - there doesn't appear to be any real 'security' training to this. These are basically script-kiddies working for the benefit of the MAFIAA.

On another subject, from the article:

>> finding new and maintaining existing accounts on private sites

I'm pretty sure you're setting yourself up to take the blame if the pirates come back and counter-sue under anti-hacking laws. Hey, if the federal prosecutors can use it against people who make fake MySpace accounts, why wouldn't it apply for other sites?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Honestly, I don't like people snitching.. Let me give you an example...

You and your friend thought it would be fun to pull a prank on your teacher..

But you get caught... Would you tell on your friend??? (Hell no... Your just gonna making things worse)

So what if you get caught, why make things worse for someone else as well??

That's my logic...

And also in my middle school, no one liked snitches.. They'd often get beaten up afterschool lol. 

High School ain't so different xD

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 10:34 PM

I got 99 problems, but a snitch ain't one. ---> yeah, we'll let Jay-Z handle the lyrics instead.

Way underpaid for being a snitch. I don't think companies realize the dangers of being a snitch.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

In the south, do you know what we do to snitchers? 

I don't know either. 

But I know that I don't like them, and I know that I don't like this because it's under payed haha. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 10:49 PM

Kyouya:

I got 99 problems, but a snitch ain't one. ---> yeah, we'll let Jay-Z handle the lyrics instead.

Way underpaid for being a snitch. I don't think companies realize the dangers of being a snitch.

Snitching gets you stitches :P lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,926
Points 24,745
digitaldd replied on Wed, Mar 31 2010 9:01 AM

This could be fun, use your favorite search engine to find forum posts with the words cough bittorrent, or cough "trackersite". Get names of message posters, find posters on social networks report identities to RIAA/MPAA or European equivalents. Collect $$ and pass GO..

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Mar 31 2010 9:43 AM

Not the best choice for extra income if you want to coexist peacefully with your fellow classmates. There is a serious chance of getting your A**-Whooped on a regular basis if you take this job on.

It's nice of Warner Brothers to set young kids up for such negative treatment from their peers.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Here is another example of the indoctrination of our youth! If you teach them from birth, they wont know any better! Yeah lets create a society of lawyers, and people who thinks money only comes from suing each other and no actual production, because corporations are 3vil :)

What happens when everyone becomes lawyers and is done suing each other, then they are locked in their little rooms? They will be out of entertainment, power, food and afraid of being sued, . The problem is, There are going to be quite a number of people who will sign up for this. Just like all the extremists around the world, they do it because they don't know any better.

As a former WB artist, this is exactly why we no longer have work. and Why you no longer have our great ideas to keep the imagination of society moving ahead. The people in charge are so used to using lawyers to control content even before it is created that they must push the extremes when they run out!

I have always said when you have to many chiefs in the village, who is going to fight their battles, and cook their pies? That's what happens now, you have to many people trying to make money off of others without having to actually learn and work for themselves. Just look at how far reaching Time Warner is? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner Keep looking, there are over 113 pages just on the subsidiaries!

Companies like Warner's has to do whatever it can to survive, since giving credit to the actual people who do the work and production is not an option! (Sorry Actors are not artist like they want you to believe! They are just dolls who perform/look the way they are told to, they don't actually create anything) One of the Sony executives actually said "If I could just get rid of all the artists when it comes to making a movie I would be happy!" They feel that they are pretty much useless after content is created, and this seems to be a worsening aspect of society everywhere. Words like Freedom and Respect, really have no meaning in today's society. They have been twisted into a new generation, made to believe those things are given to all! Instead of something All must work together to achieve!

So of course there are people who will not respect others by ratting them out. And they will take away their freedoms for a price. These people will always look at it as a business and not actual people! They understand if people are kept in the dark, everyone has their price. Would you do it for 5MILL?

I kept my integrity, that why I got out :D

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Wed, Mar 31 2010 7:47 PM

I think we're going to be great friends, Animatortom.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Wed, Mar 31 2010 8:23 PM

Kyouya:

Just glad to see the joke did not go unnoticed.  :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Dun' worry 3vi1, I got the joke but Kyouya beat me to the punch. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,926
Points 24,745
digitaldd replied on Thu, Apr 1 2010 11:01 AM

animatortom:

Here is another example of the indoctrination of our youth! If you teach them from birth, they wont know any better! Yeah lets create a society of lawyers, and people who thinks money only comes from suing each other and no actual production, because corporations are 3vil :)

What happens when everyone becomes lawyers and is done suing each other, then they are locked in their little rooms? They will be out of entertainment, power, food and afraid of being sued, . The problem is, There are going to be quite a number of people who will sign up for this. Just like all the extremists around the world, they do it because they don't know any better.

As a former WB artist, this is exactly why we no longer have work. and Why you no longer have our great ideas to keep the imagination of society moving ahead. The people in charge are so used to using lawyers to control content even before it is created that they must push the extremes when they run out!

I have always said when you have to many chiefs in the village, who is going to fight their battles, and cook their pies? That's what happens now, you have to many people trying to make money off of others without having to actually learn and work for themselves. Just look at how far reaching Time Warner is? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner Keep looking, there are over 113 pages just on the subsidiaries!

Companies like Warner's has to do whatever it can to survive, since giving credit to the actual people who do the work and production is not an option! (Sorry Actors are not artist like they want you to believe! They are just dolls who perform/look the way they are told to, they don't actually create anything) One of the Sony executives actually said "If I could just get rid of all the artists when it comes to making a movie I would be happy!" They feel that they are pretty much useless after content is created, and this seems to be a worsening aspect of society everywhere. Words like Freedom and Respect, really have no meaning in today's society. They have been twisted into a new generation, made to believe those things are given to all! Instead of something All must work together to achieve!

So of course there are people who will not respect others by ratting them out. And they will take away their freedoms for a price. These people will always look at it as a business and not actual people! They understand if people are kept in the dark, everyone has their price. Would you do it for 5MILL?

I kept my integrity, that why I got out :D

Unfortunately the United States was founded by lawyers and thus the society they created exists to serve lawyers.  Well at least make sure they are never in need of work.  ;) Still I love the rant, animatortom.

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS