Sanyo's New Gorilla PNDs Track Your Location in 10 Seconds (Sort of)

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,851
Points 1,171,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 29 2010 2:01 PM
Just before the weekend, Sanyo held a lunchtime press conference in Japan to show off its latest line of Gorilla series personal navigation devices (PNDs), including the NV-SD740DT, NV-SB570DT, and NV-SB550DT.

According to Sanyo, all three models significantly shorten the time it takes to detect your current location. By analyzing signals for the "location information," "time information," and "trajectory information" from four different satellites, the new PNDs are able to pinpoint your location in as quick as 10 seconds after boot. Serving as somewhat of a wet blanket, however, Sanyo also says this can take several minutes depending on receiving conditions.

All three models also come with 16GB of memory, LED backlighting, detailed Maps with a 5m maximum zoom, landscape and portrait modes, and a handful of other marketing bullets. Where the three differ is mainly in size, with the mid-range NV-SB570DT sporting a 5-inch monitor (compared to 7-inch on the high-end model), a mono 1W speaker, and a VICS traffic module, the latter of which is not included in the entry-level NV-SB550DT.

No word yet on price or release date.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Mon, Mar 29 2010 4:10 PM

Thats another nice GPS system coming out, there are so much GPS devices/GPS apps out there today its hard to choose which one to buy. Like i always want to know, im waiting for those prices :P.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

As little as 10 seconds ---- on good conditions. That's good, but can it make my coffee in the morning as well? =D

I've never really had to use a GPS before. It might have something to do with living in South Carolina and there being NOTHING HERE. 

I can see it being practical in city environments though. Well done Sanyo. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 12:41 AM

Rofl Marius your reasoning seems sound. This has been moving up and up for a bit now. I have been wondering when the GPS companies were going to realize they are about to loose there a**. A couple have jumped on with the apps, but not many, not to mention the displays are actually better. One thing if you work on the road these things are a must, and in a city they help a lot.

What I really want to know though is what the heck happened to that girls hair! She looks like she sleep's hanging from the ceiling by her hair.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 1:27 AM

I noticed that too but didn't want to say anything, But Japanese (assuming she is...) most have crazy hair styles.

I live in the city (although i don't drive yet :( BUT JUST ONE MORE MONTH! Smile) My dad only uses the GPS when we go to far places that we have never been to yet. He still uses the traditional MAP for local areas xD.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

HEY NOW!

I'm half Japanese and my GF is full Japanese!

We do not have crazy hair styles, and we both drive very good! In fact I am Race trained :P

Good thing I am half German as well.

I agree wholeheartedly with Rapid1, GPS manufacturers are going to really be pushed aside. With all the upcoming apps that are taking over in the smart phone market. If the Ipod Touch now has GPS, what would be the purpose of having a stand alone GPS? Even hikers will have smaller units built into their watches. Also, with these things being built into cars on even the most basic of models. Seems like their only option left would be to capitalize on integrating into that market, and merging their shares before they get dissolved totally.

Although, she does look like something out of a Terry Gilliam movie :P As far as hanging from a celling, let me just say...Fetish!(not me, but some people) At least she will know exactly where that celling is :)

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 2:54 PM

LOL sorry xD there i fixed that :D

No one said anything about your driving! lol Japaneses people drive very well from what i know :D its Chinese that drive horribly!(Im not one of them YET... lol)

I agree that apps are taking over! some don't have a smart phone so they stick to the traditional GPS device. When i can drive (in a month! YEA! LOL) i will be sure to buy the app for my iphone :)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Did I say Japanese, I meant to say I'm Chinese!

Now what you got against them?

HAH! See if you watch more of the original Uncut Looney Tunes, instead of spongebob you will understand that when making fun of people. You need to be able to make fun of everyone, or you cant make fun of no one!

That's where I got my warped sense of humor, and I love it. By the way, I am mostly German :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Wed, Mar 31 2010 4:17 PM

Hey im only speaking from experience :) the truth doesn't harm anyone! :P lol

Im Chinese too so if i don't feel hurt by that you shouldn't too :D its just a fact LMFAO

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS