Samsung 15.6" R580 Multimedia Notebook

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,826
Points 1,167,965
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 29 2010 11:53 AM

'SamsungSamsung has not traditionally played a huge role in the evolution of notebooks. Companies such as Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer and Asus have all done noteworthy things to push the envelope, with the Adamo XPS, ThinkPad, IdeaPad and Eee PC all coming from this group. Even those who don't follow technology on a daily basis would probably associate those names with notebooks, but we wonder just how big a following Samsung has in the mobile computing sector. It's not like Samsung is a newbie in the notebook world, but they've definitely played a more "low-key" role over the past few years.

Taking all that into consideration, we have to commend Samsung on the launch of their R80 series. These machines were just introduced this month, and we have managed to grab one of the first R580 notebooks to leave the production line...

Samsung 15.6" R580 Multimedia Notebook

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Mon, Mar 29 2010 3:39 PM

I must say I am very surprised as I though Samsung would have a top SPVA panel or one of higher quality as that to me is what Samsung is known for. They do make other good electronics but when I think of Samsung I think screens. Anyhow the price looks good to me for a core i5 I see real value here still. The gloss is not too bad but I bet it is a finger print magnet. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

la_guy_10:

I must say I am very surprised as I though Samsung would have a top SPVA panel or one of higher quality as that to me is what Samsung is known for. They do make other good electronics but when I think of Samsung I think screens. Anyhow the price looks good to me for a core i5 I see real value here still. The gloss is not too bad but I bet it is a finger print magnet. 

I think this is a cautious dabble in the notebook market for Samsung. The notebook does look interesting and the stranger keyboard layout and keys are intriguing, wouldn't necessarily consider that as a negative. The value is there, and I'm glad it has the Nvidia 310M vs the Integrated Intel crap-GPU. 

However my two main concerns would be durability and tech support. I've decided to give up on HP because of those two criteria, and would recommend others to pass on HP computer products as well.

Great review though Marco, and I agree about having 4 GB RAM with a 32-bit OS, it doesn't make sense.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,356
Points 48,595
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Mon, Mar 29 2010 3:51 PM

Thanks, Gibb. Although, Ray wrote this one--I just made it live and put in the news post. :)

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Ooops! Sorry Ray! Smile

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Still, not a big supporter of Samsung!

After selling all those cheap TV's with the box stores. This thing should be under 300dollars.

I have always found that Samsung uses very cheap materials, that are meant to just sit in one place, look glossy and not really withstand the actual use. This is interesting, yet with all the others that are coming out. I am sure these specs are going to be pretty much standard by the time summer roles around. I am certain if you find this at Sam's Club this summer, it will probably be under $400 :) I mean, I was there yesterday and the Blu-Ray players are now under $200, way cheaper than even standard DVD players were only four months ago.

I think Samsung is just trying to get a jump on the market while their name is still strong, before all their inferior products start to fail a couple years after purchase. Personally I would stick with companies like ASUS Dell or even HP. Or at least wait until Samsung has a proven track record in the field of computers. That might take a while?

Like I said before, you can paint a Yugo Ferrari red, it still doesn't make it a Ferrari :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance