AMD Debuts 8 And 12-Core Opteron 6000 Processors

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,699
Points 1,207,565
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 29 2010 9:40 AM
Intel rocked the processor world a few weeks ago with the introduction of the six-core Core i7-980X Extreme Edition, but now we're beginning to wonder if there's any stop to this "core" madness. AMD has just shook things up even further with the new Opteron 6000 series platform, boasting Direct Connect Architecture 2.0 and plenty of power for server applications.

AMD is gloating about a 119% increase in performance here, all while maintaining a low price and low power drain. What's most interesting, though, is that this platform features the world’s first 8- and 12-core x86 processor for the high-volume 2P and value 4P server market. Already, leading OEMs including HP, Dell, Acer Group, Cray, and SGI are introducing new systems based on this platform, and the bullet points here are pretty astounding. Speaking of which...

“As AMD has done before, we are again redefining the server marketbased on current customer requirements,” said Patrick Patla, vicepresident and general manager, Server and Embedded Divisions, AMD. “The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform signals a new era of servervalue, significantly disrupts today’s server economics and provides theperformance-per-watt, value and consistency customers demand for theirreal-world data center workloads.”

The new AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform features include:

• The industry’s only 8- and 12-core server processors performingat up to two times the level of AMD’s previous generation 6-coreprocessors, including an 88 percent increase in integer performance4 and a 119 percent increase in floating point performance2.
  • Enhancedintegrated memory controller supporting four channels of DDR3 memoryfor up to a 2.5x improvement in overall memory bandwidth.5
  • Thirty-three percent more memory channels per processor than competitive 2P solutions.6
  • 50%higher DIMM capacity compared to previous generations, with up to 12per processor, increasing the available memory overall and improvingvirtualization, database and HPC applications.
  • AMD 5600 Series chipset with I/O virtualization capability, HyperTransport™ 3.0 technology and PCI Express® 2.0.
  • Removalof the “4P tax”, since the same processors can be used in both 2P and4P designs, and 4P-capable processors are now the same price as 2P-capable processors, bringing greatly improved value to the 4P space.
  • Unprecedentedprice/performance. In a comparison between a best-performing 2Pcompetitive platform versus a similar best-performing 4P AMD-basedplatform, customers can recognize up to double the performance and morethan 10% lower total processor price.7
  • Significantnew power management features including a C1E power state to conserveenergy when idle, the Advanced Platform Management Link allowingAPML-enabled platforms to be remotely monitored for power and cooling,and AMD CoolSpeed technology, which automatically reduces p-states if aspecified temperature limit is exceeded.
  • A wide range of power and performance options with no compromise on the available feature sets.
  • Alegacy of consistency and stability.  The new AMD Opteron platform ischipset- and socket- compatible between 2P and 4P and will becompatible with the planned processors based on the next-generation AMDserver processor core, code-named “Bulldozer”.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Mon, Mar 29 2010 10:15 AM

All this sounds great, but will it run Crysis at 50FPS on max details?!

Just kidding...this is a sever chip, while Intel's 980X is more of an enthusiast's dream.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Mon, Mar 29 2010 11:00 AM

Yeah, but gibbersome a server processor will do everything a enthusiast's dream will. The only reason there is a difference is price of processor board and of course memory packages are more expensive depending on how many you have installed. I know for a fact though the many enthusiasts especially on the AMD side of the market already buy Opterons. Plus on top of that the board has PCI-X 2.0 and everything anyway. If you think about it a server CPU does everything and more as well as being built for more punishment. This is also not to mention that the 980X is basically a Xeon processor anyway, and 12 cores, that's 3 quad core processors in one socket operating as 1 unit simultaneously. If you think a six core tears some benchmarks to pieces I bet this one just swallows them whole :)

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Good to see AMD leapfrogging to the lead in both graphics cards and CPUs at the same time. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Actually, this is not a 12 cpu core chip. It is two 6 core chips with a HT link. However, this does let it have a 256 bit memory bus that can handle memory at 1333Mhz The thing is clocked in at 2.2Ghz, so it's single thread performance is not really that impressive at all. However, in multi threaded apps it is a monster.

Anand actually got one in hand a week ago and ran it through some paces.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

hello admin,

this core multiplications is not a madness, it is already believed that, hundreds of core is the future. and AMD is on a right track. Moreover, i am agreed that intel is been following the architectural path that AMD is been drawing.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Mon, Mar 29 2010 3:17 PM

Now we need apps to take advantage of all this computing power, and I think this will start to happen soon. AMD seems to be in lock step with Intel. Again what a great time to be a PC gamer or Hardware enthusiasts for that matter!!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Good point. Though for gamers Intel's 980X is still King. In single thread processes (as InfiniteyzeN mentioned), the Opteron would lose out. And since even the hexacore is overkill, a higher clocked quad-core i7 would be the better value for gamers.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Mon, Mar 29 2010 4:02 PM

What games out are actually made for the 980x? Like what game takes full advantage of all the cores, when they do have games like that, it would be awesome!

AMD is just advanceing so much this year :)

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 675

Flight simulator Games on the PC definitely take full advantage of the extra threads the 980X provides from what I'm told.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Opteron? Seriously, that is the name they are going for. I guess they are trying to capitalise on the success of the Transformers :P

I actually like the "Bulldozer" tag, much better! Or just call it project awesome! :)

I would like to see a MoBo, that can utilize two of these. Since their initial primary market will more than likely be the servers and workstations that can really push these to the limit.

I am a big supporter of AMD/ATI, so I hope they do this justice and not just another flashy campaign until the real next generation comes around.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

gibbersome:

All this sounds great, but will it run Crysis at 50FPS on max details?!

Just kidding...this is a sever chip, while Intel's 980X is more of an enthusiast's dream.

Indeed. It would be weird having a server chip inside a gaming computer. 

I knew that AMD was coming out with a new lineup of chips soon, but I had honestly thought it would be more of a consumer driven build this go around. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS