Netflix Shipping Discs To Allow Wii Streaming

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,695
Points 1,156,745
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 26 2010 5:57 PM
Wii owners who are Netflix subscribers should begin finding a little extra something in their mailbox soon.

The mail-order and online movie rental service is sending discs out to its subscribers who own the Nintendo game systems that will allow them to access any movies or TV shows that Netflix streams online.

The videos will be accessible via the Wii shopping channel and the Wii must have a broadband Internet connection.

This was the next logical step, as Netflix already had similar processes in place with Xbox 360 and the PS3. And, as more streaming content comes to Netflix, cross-platform deals like this should pretty much put the final nails in Blockbuster's coffin. Sure, Blockbuster just announced it's keeping the 28-day advantage on Warner Brothers new releases. But is that what's going to get people to drop Netflix in favor of Blockbuster?

Netflix has made deals with Warner Brothers and other studios to delay the rental of new releases through their service in order to give the studios more time to sell the DVDs. But what they got in return was a larger library to stream. Eventually, it's all going to move online anyway. So why not give a little now (come on, you REALLY can't wait an extra couple of weeks to see a new release?) and get a lot now, when it's all gonna be online in the future anyway.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

This is kinda like what I was mentioning before, how the consoles are forward tracking towards a complete solution!

Don't be surprised when all the consoles lean towards providing a complete home solution. That will allow for all your entertainment needs. I am sure they will soon be a HD media player, internet solution, along with all your 3D HD game play, They will probably even control your home security and lighting/AC!

Although with this netfilx thing, it seems like Wii is trying to compete with the PS3's capabilities of Blu-Ray and ISP connecting.

I still think I will wait until they all figure out this whole movie download thing that is going to replace the disc :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sat, Mar 27 2010 8:28 AM

>> I still think I will wait until they all figure out this whole movie download thing that is going to replace the disc

There's nothing to figure out. They could do it now, but their 'exclusive' agreement with Microsoft prohibits them from integrating the service in the console (hence the workaround with the disc). I think that deal expires late this year though (if I'm remembering right), so we'll see it on them all by next year.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 865
M-ManLA replied on Sat, Mar 27 2010 7:20 PM

Hey, a way to finally play movies on the Wii! I don't like the Wii, but I always thought that Nintendo should of let people play DVDs on it at the very least.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

animatortom:
Don't be surprised when all the consoles lean towards providing a complete home solution. That will allow for all your entertainment needs. I am sure they will soon be a HD media player, internet solution, along with all your 3D HD game play,

Sony is pretty much there with playstation.  Xbox sort of failed at this because of no blu-ray support, however, they do have the whole marketplace for your hearts desires.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Sun, Mar 28 2010 3:33 AM

M-ManLA:

Hey, a way to finally play movies on the Wii! I don't like the Wii, but I always thought that Nintendo should of let people play DVDs on it at the very least.

This news update is just a way for Wii owners to order movies from Netflix that will be sent via the mail. This is NOT Nintendo adding the DVD playback feature to the Wii. But you can use Wii homebrew to add that feature.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS