Hypersonic PC Ships Their Final Gaming Rig

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,486
Points 1,196,285
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 26 2010 2:43 PM
Hypersonic PC used to be regarded as one of the most well-respected PCbuilders in the world, up there with the likes on Alienware, FalconNorthwest and Voodoo. Now, they're just a distant memory. OCZTechnology, the parent company of Hypersonic, has recently made thetough decision to shut down the operation, leaving hardcore PC gamersone less option when it comes time to shop for a new custom builtmachine.

According to a brief blurb on Hypersonic's website,it's all over for the company, but existing owners will still be takencare of when it comes to warranties.  Here's the exact quote: "At thistime Hypersonic-PC is not accepting any orders. We are honoring allwarranties and will continue to support existing customers. Allcustomers that currently own a Hypersonic branded PC or Notebook cancontact the following numbers for direct product support."

Theirphone lines are still staying open, but no new orders will be accepted.Alex Mei, OCZ's Executive VP and CMO, had this to say about the shutdown: "We are focusing all our resources on SSD, PSU and Memory and ourSI business really didn’t fit into the spectrum of things. While we areceasing marketing and sales efforts for Hypersonic we are still takingcare of all customers that have Hypersonic product, all their fullwarranties are still good and we are making sure that everyone thatpurchased a Hypersonic solution is taken care of."

Fareqwell, Hypersonic. It feels like we barely knew you.
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Points 960
Zestia replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 2:45 PM

lol - That last sentence goes double for me ; - )

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655
Inspector replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 3:27 PM

It's true for me :D I never heard of the company before :p I'm too young to know the past D:

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Their customer service was good (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Hypersonic_PC_Systems), and their product ratings were above average. I guess they were never able to make themselves stand out. Hypersonic powers down for the final time...

They still have a PC available for sale on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hypersonic-SR5-R1-Laptop-Processor-Premium/dp/B001248D6Q

It's not priced very competitively though.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

It's sad to see the company go, even if I've never heard of it. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 4:02 PM

Yeah I knew who they were, but for me they were more of a oh yeah they might be an option type of company anyway. I never had any direct experience with the either. There are also quite a few new players coming into this market as well. So there is less open profit margin especially if your not very well known. I don't really know what it matters though as I have always been a system builder. The only PC I have gotten from anything but my own hands in about 15 years I just won.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah they have been around for a while. I have not heard much from them in the last few years though. Still sad to see another high end PC vender bite the dust.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

I considered them a couple of times, but always ended up building my own PC (until the Smooth Creations one that is). It always came down to the fact that I could build my own more powerful computer for less money. That right there is why I bought my last one in fact. Even ignoring the case, they gave me such a good deal that it was actually cheaper to buy from them then build my own.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 180
Points 1,660

aww

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I am actually surprised that they are still around. I though Alienware ground them into the dust a few years ago. They really seemed like a flash in the pan company back then.

I thought that they restructured their whole market towards RAM and other components. I have OCZ RAM, yet I guess I never looked to much into their other products to see these were still available.

If they couldn't compete with Alienware, then they surely wont be able to compete with Origin :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,875
imAcpufan replied on Sat, Mar 27 2010 11:29 AM

This is sad to hear...It's too bad when the parent company shuts down the hardcore gaming division...Like how Voodoo PC was taken over by HP which then took the Envy name for it's own laptops...

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Sun, Mar 28 2010 3:28 AM

OCZ bought Hypersonic back in 10/25/2007. Probably thought it was a good way to expand OCZ into the custom pc market. That market has too many players and it is very hard to differentiate and compete with everyone else out there. Not sure how they were planning on making it successful. Like everyone has mentioned, a good number of people haven't heard of it. Maybe they should have sent a few units out for websites to review them.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS