Gmail Warns Of Suspicious Account Activity

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,160
Points 1,185,380
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Mar 25 2010 7:59 PM
Google rolled out a new security feature for Gmail that can alert you when it thinks someone else may be using your account. By using the IP tracking feature that Google launched in July 2008, the new security feature will display a warning if it detects that your account has been accessed from two different geographic regions within a short timeframe.

Although the new feature isn't remarkably accurate (in the US it only displays which state you are in), it can prove useful if an attack comes from across the country or from overseas. Since there are plenty of legitimate reasons for accessing an account from multiple locations, Google doesn't lock you out of the account. Instead, it simply displays a warning message and provides an easy way to change your password.

The message also provides detailed information so you can see the latest account activity with information about the most recent access points. If the access was legitimate, you can click "Dismiss" to remove the message.

Recognizing security is also a high priority for businesses and schools, Google plans to offer this feature for Google Apps in the future after it has gathered and incorporated feedback.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Thu, Mar 25 2010 8:45 PM

very cool feature, my main email is on gmail with all my other linked to it so i need it to be safe :P, too bad if my neighbor hacks me i won't know O.o lol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Thu, Mar 25 2010 9:03 PM

Google needs to step up their security all around as the larger they grow they also will become a target. It's good to see the feature implemented as every other browser seems to be getting breached. Hopefully they can stay on top as far as security is concerned.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,475
Points 47,060
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Thu, Mar 25 2010 10:08 PM

Inspector:
too bad if my neighbor hacks me i won't know O.o lol

You will if they have a different IP address.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Thu, Mar 25 2010 10:28 PM

True... but, what if hes stealing my wifi too? :D lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Thu, Mar 25 2010 10:51 PM

I think intensive testing should have been conducted because it can be very inaccurate. This also poses a risk of reporting fake account activities that would require sensitive information. I'm not sure this is such a great idea right now...but only time will tell.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,475
Points 47,060
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Thu, Mar 25 2010 11:59 PM

Inspector:

True... but, what if hes stealing my wifi too? :D lol

That would be bad, but not as bad as him tapping your wife!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,475
Points 47,060
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 12:26 AM

But seriously, folks, every time you log into GMAIL the front page already shows you which IP address was used to log into your account for the last 5 logins. Just click the DETAILS link after LAST ACCOUNT ACTIVITY. Most saavy users (anyone here) probably will know this, but at least this new Google alert feature will notify the uninformed if someone in China is accessing their account! Ah-so.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 3:33 AM

As Super Dave points out above, a less obtrusive feature which provided the same sort of information was made available some time ago. That not withstanding, the new GUI features are a step forward ; hopefully they will contribute to mitigating the problem of hacked accounts. It's still wise, however, for users to change their Gmail-account passwords frequently and not least, to keep them secret....

Henri

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Maybe that is what the whole China thing was about in the first place. Maybe they wanted just enough of Google to be able to understand their codes and procedures so they can tap their wives?

It is good to see that Google is at least doing something about these issues. I wouldn't be surprised at all if those gov hacks we saw a few years back were routed through services like Google.

Now if they could just clear up some of the clutter on their accounts. Like these people who have started accounts and run scams from places like africa. These guys even have very convincing Paypal services emails that they send to people. Anyone who has not dealt with them before or someone who might not know what to look for, can really be taken!

mikesmith.shops@gmail.com

jeffrey.smith003@gmail

mike.smith.shops@gmail

fredjohn008@gmail

I know the bad part would be if anyone can report abuse to Google and they take their account away, it can be very disheartening. Hopefully someone on their security side can at least do a little research see their activity and start banning those addresses and maybe even the regions, if there are to many. I mean if they can pop up surfboard companies and where to buy wax on the top and to the right of Gmail, every time I type in surfing? Then they should be able to see these guys are not legitimate account holders.

The funny thing is when you read their Gmails and look at the ones sent from"paypal" You can see, they might know how to operate a computer. But they cant really spell in English :)

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,070
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 9:21 AM

Hopefully, any of you with wireless access/routers are using encryption to protect your service from intrusion. Password protection goes a long way.

And if your neighbor can talk your wife into some "tapping", she isn't worth having around anyway. My 'N' router covers my entire property, but also is visible with decent signal two doors down in either direction, so it's password protected.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 10:58 AM

animatortom:

Maybe that is what the whole China thing was about in the first place. Maybe they wanted just enough of Google to be able to understand their codes and procedures so they can tap their wives?

It is good to see that Google is at least doing something about these issues. I wouldn't be surprised at all if those gov hacks we saw a few years back were routed through services like Google.

Now if they could just clear up some of the clutter on their accounts. Like these people who have started accounts and run scams from places like africa. These guys even have very convincing Paypal services emails that they send to people. Anyone who has not dealt with them before or someone who might not know what to look for, can really be taken!

mikesmith.shops@gmail.com

jeffrey.smith003@gmail

mike.smith.shops@gmail

fredjohn008@gmail

I know the bad part would be if anyone can report abuse to Google and they take their account away, it can be very disheartening. Hopefully someone on their security side can at least do a little research see their activity and start banning those addresses and maybe even the regions, if there are to many. I mean if they can pop up surfboard companies and where to buy wax on the top and to the right of Gmail, every time I type in surfing? Then they should be able to see these guys are not legitimate account holders.

The funny thing is when you read their Gmails and look at the ones sent from"paypal" You can see, they might know how to operate a computer. But they cant really spell in English :)

Well they can't really know how to phish if they don't know how to spoof the email address now do they.

It's nice for them to implement something that shows a red warning that someone might be accessing their account, the original feature was in a place where most regular users would not know where to find it. But at least with this we'll know whether someone from Nigeria is hacking us or whether it's your girlfriend trying to spy on you.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Points 960
Zestia replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 11:25 AM

Actually I was not aware of this feature, never really noticed it. Thanks Super Dave, I'll be sure to look for it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 11:57 AM

I don't think it will warn him if his neighbor's accessing his account, SD. Otherwise, it's going to be warning dial-up users, and non-static DSL/Cable users on every access. This only seems to be aimed at warning you when the other person is in a completely different geographic location and only then if consecutive accesses are fast enough.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 7:38 PM

>>That would be bad, but not as bad as him tapping your wife!

LOL it is passwrod protected and no one is stealing it :P lol... then the last part look at my age -.- Stick out tongue lol

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS