Belkin’s Play and Play Max Routers Gain App Support

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,490
Points 1,196,480
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Mar 25 2010 3:43 AM
Apps, apps, apps. They're everywhere, and where they aren't, they willsoon be. App stores have taken over the world, and they're now leavingthe smartphone realm and bleeding over to printers, netbooks and evenwireless routers. Belkin is a huge networking player, and the companyhas been making routers, switches, hubs and all sorts of other linkedproducts for years. The newest thing in Belkin's camp is theintroduction of Apps, and while we're obviously skeptical of theimportance (apps on a router?), we actually are into the idea once wegave it a listen.

For starters, Belkin has made the app integration seamless and theprocess easy. Also, the apps are actually helpful; software will bearound to help you print without wires, transfer music, stream mediaand do all sorts of other fancy networking tricks that usually requirelots of in-depth knowledge. These routers also have dual-band WLANsupport, and the Self-Healing app "automatically detects and resolvesnetwork problems and runs routine maintenance scans to give you theclearest wireless channel." Nice!

The routers will be available in the U.S. starting next month, withworldwide rollouts to follow. Pricing has yet to be announced in apublic manner.

The Share, Play, and Play Max Routers offer the Print Genie app that lets you wirelessly print from any computer on the network in your home while Memory Safe™ automatically backs up your photos and files to an external hard drive (sold separately)—so you can rest assured that your precious memories are protected.

With advanced Dual-Band N technology, Belkin’s Play and Play Max Routers provide the best speed and performance. Simultaneous networks eliminate interference and allow you to optimize performance for media-intensive activities, such as streaming HD movies, gaming online, and downloading large media files.

Apps on Play and Play Max let you do more with your music. Music Mover can play your entire music library on smart devices, like the Xbox® or PS3™, making your music just a touch away. The Daily DJ app serves up daily personalized playlists to match your mood. By analyzing the musical DNA of your music, Daily DJ creates playlists around three mood mixes: High-Energy, Steady Groove, and Kick Back. You can also create your own playlist by choosing a song and letting Daily DJ offer a new take on your favorite music.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I am always sceptical when it comes to something new with its own ability to use apps internally?

To me that would be a prime target for hackers and such to insert maleware, Trojans, Spartans or whatever is coming down the pike next. Would it integrate its own form of firewall, or run below the OS in a manner that it wouldn't need to?

When it comes to Belkin, I can never say enough about their products. They have always proven to be solid, easy on the eyes and well built. Whenever I have installed them. The drivers are easy and straight forward, and perform admirably! The price is always reasonable for that type of quality!

I guess it would be easier to say, that there is nothing negative to say about them. Good Stuff..Man!

I hope these will be priced just right so I can finally set up the PC to act like a wireless Home Theatre, I just keep waiting to see what is around the bend without wanting to pay an arm and a leg for the current N's

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Thu, Mar 25 2010 10:11 AM

Belkin has always produced a quality product IMO. This router would be very helpful to someone new to networking and trouble shooting router issues as the Self Healing App sounds neat. I wish other router manufactures would take note of this. Also like the article mentions a person who just needs to link up a PS3 or XBOX 360 to transfer music or simple files this router would be ideal, not to mention it's wireless N for those gaming secessions.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 865
M-ManLA replied on Thu, Mar 25 2010 5:07 PM

No lie, this thing looks nice. And I'm not a Belkin fan.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

I love my belkin N router

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner