Samsung SCH-r900 Is First LTE Smartphone: Going To MetroPCS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,245
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Mar 25 2010 3:15 AM
Samsung Mobile has really taken advantage of their floor time at the CTIA wireless show in Las Vegas. Following the release of the Wave S8500 and the Galaxy S, the company introduced the second 4G phone to debut at the show. The SCH-r900 won't run on the WiMAX network that Sprint and Clearwire use; instead, it will run on the LTE network that is still at least 7 or 8 months away from being initialized.

The company is calling this phone one of the firsts, and that is indeed the case. What's interesting is that the phone wasn't announced for Verizon or any other major carrier; instead it will go to MetroPCS, a smaller carrier that definitely doesn't make the news often for securing phones before other operators. What's also interesting is that this puts pricing pressure on those other "big guys" who will probably want to charge more for LTE phones considering the massive investment they've laid out for LTE. MetroPCS is famous for their flat rates, and that flat rate service will also apply to this phone, despite the fact that it will be able to download far more data and stress the network in new ways.

MetroPCS plans to initially deploy a commercial LTE network in various metropolitan markets, including the Las Vegas metropolitan area where Samsung Mobile LTE network products will be used, in the second half of 2010. We can only assume that the phone will be launched on other carriers as well, but obviously no one else is called dibs just yet.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Is this the baby brother of the other Samsung? J.A.I.I. Just another Iphone Imitator? Never heard of MetroPCS?

If it is anything like Mobi out here, then that should be very interesting. These little startup cellular companies are really taking off. I hope to see a thousand more. Maybe then the Big three will start to get a run for their money and the phone manufacturers will start to take notice.

This looked like a wiped down version of the wave, and was probably made specific for this carrier. If it is, I am sure not to many others will be worrying about Dibs. Maybe we will see this in Wall-Mart in the packaged pay-as-you-go section really soon.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
yfocus replied on Thu, May 13 2010 11:14 AM

This great i am a Metro PCS subsciber. I have the SCH-220 samsung code, a great smartphone. However, metro network doesn't do this phone justice. My question is, will LTE support my samsung code

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

no it will not support your phone

none of the previous phones will have 4g

4g isnt something that can go to any phone

it has to be lte compatible

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,655

interesting MetroPCS is just rebranded Sprint service @ a cheaper price.  Too bad you can't use any phone on their service.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS