Skype Mobile App Coming To Verizon Wireless, Use On-Network To Be Allowed

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,856
Points 1,115,300
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Mar 24 2010 2:42 AM
A sweeping change is hitting the mobile industry, and we're not justtalking about 4G. It's VoIP, and it has been around for years in the PCworld, but is just now gaining ground in the mobile world due tocarrier's being reluctant to support it. Operators have long fearedthat enabling the use of Skype or any other VoIP calling software wouldeliminate the need for users to purchase those expensive minutes, butconsidering that the use of minutes is already declining thanks tomobile-to-mobile and the growth of texting, now is as good a time asany to have a change of heart.

Verizon Wireless, which was previously known as one of the mostrestrictive carriers in America, will be allowing Skype calls on theirnetwork starting on Thursday. Before, Skype Mobile could only be usedover Wi-Fi, but as of March 25th you'll be able to make those called onVZW's network. It will only work on a number of BlackBerry devices atfirst, but more phones are expected to gain support soon. Ready toscale back your plan? Looks like you'll be able to starting later thisweek if you're a huge fan of Skype.

From Thursday 25th March, if you’re a Verizon customer with asmartphone and a data plan, you’ll be able to download Skype mobile.

It’ll help you stay in touch with friends, family and colleagues all over the world, by allowing you to:

• make and receive unlimited Skype-to-Skype voice calls to anyone else on Skype around the globe
  • send and receive unlimited instant messages with other people on Skype
  • call international phone numbers at our low rates

Initially, the app will work on BlackBerry Storm 9530, Storm2 9550,Curve 8330, Curve 8530, 8830 World Edition and Tour 9630 smartphones,as well as DROID by Motorola, DROID ERIS by HTC and the MotorolaDEVOUR. We’ll add support for more phones and platforms later this year.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

So they will have to increase the cost of your G4 service since everyone will now be using Viop?

I have never been a fan of Skype? Any computer I have worked on that has had skype installed has always seemed to have Reg errors. As well as having increased vulnerability towards maleware. I believe that is because most anti-virus programs probably do not plan on integrating third party programs to do much changing in the reg files. It always seem like they interfere with each other when you have multiple Im's on one system, like Windows live, Yahoo and any gaming connections? I guess we will have to See how it works on a phone platform. I am sure it will probably be more stable and less hassle if it is set up to solely work on one phone.

One thing I can say is, those new Blackburries sure are light! I was amaze at the weight of them. And that Motorola is absolutely cool :)

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance