Sprint Announces First 3G/4G Android Phone

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,935
Points 1,118,665
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Mar 23 2010 9:15 PM
This summer, Sprint customers will be able to get their hands on the world's first 3G/4G Android-powered smartphone. Otherwise known as the HTC EVO, this smartphone features a 4.3-inch touchscreen, 8 megapixel camera, HD video capture capabilities, HDMI output, and the HTC Sense user interface.

Behind the scenes, the EVO is powered by a 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. Thanks to the phone's built-in mobile hotspot functionality, you can share the 4G connectivity with up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices.

The phone also has dual cameras—an 8 megapixel autofocus camera and a forward-facing 1.3 megapixel camera. After capturing video, you can upload it to YouTube, Facebook, or share it live over the Internet via Qik. You can also connect the phone to an HDTV via an HDMI cable.

Sprint currently offers 4G service in 27 markets. 4G delivers download speeds that are up to 10 times faster than 3G. By the end of this year, Sprint expects to have up to 120 million people covered by 4G service. You can preregister for the HTC EVO today by going to www.sprint.com/evo. Pricing and an exact availably date will be announced in the future.

PRODUCTIVITY
  • 3G/4G capability
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8650 (1GHz) processor
  • 4.3” capacitive display with pinch-to-zoom and tactile feedback
  • World-class HTML browser – bandwidth and quality that rival that of netbooks
  • Android 2.1, with access to more than 30,000 apps on Android Market
  • Google mobile services including Google Search, Google Maps, Google Talk, Gmail, YouTube , and syncs with Google Calendar
  • Access to Google Goggles to search with pictures instead of words
  • Sprint Navigation, with turn-by-turn driving directions and 3D maps
  • Updated HTC Sense, award-winning user experience, which includes Friend Stream to integrate Facebook, Twitter and more into a single flow of updates
  • Visual voicemail
  • Messaging – personal and business email, IM and text messaging
  • 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability – connects up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices
  • 4G data speeds (WiMAX) – peak download speeds of more than 10 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1 Mbps; average download speeds of 3-6 Mbps.
  • 3G data speeds (EVDO Rev A.) – peak download speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1.8 Mbps; average download speeds of 600 kbps-1.4 Mbps.
ENTERTAINMENT
  • 8MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash and 1.3MP front-facing camera
  • High-quality video streaming and downloads at 3G and 4G data speeds
  • Capture and share HD-quality video (720p) from your phone
  • Output pictures, slides and videos in HD quality (720p) via HDMI cable (sold separately)
  • Live video sharing with Qik
  • Built-in kickstand for hands-free viewing
  • Media player with 3.5mm stereo headset jack
  • FM radio and Amazon MP3 store
  • Sprint applications including Sprint TV and NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile
  • Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP Stereo and EDR
  • Built-in Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g
  • Digital compass, G-Sensor, proximity sensor, light sensor, GPS
  • Expandable memory: 8GB microSD card included; supports up to 32GB
SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Dimensions: 4.8" x 2.6" x .5" (LxWxT)
  • Weight: 6 ounces
  • Main display: 4.3” WVGA (800x480) 65K colors
  • Standard removable 1500mAh Lithium (Li-on) battery
  • Memory: 1GB ROM, 512MB RAM

• | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

This is truly my next phone.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:10 PM

This will no doubt reduce the bottleneck on most wireless networks, but I am surprised to see Sprint of all the companies roll out 4G first. I though At&T would be first as the I-Phone has networks at full capacity during heavy usage or at least that is what I have been told and with the amount of apps increasing daily it's a no-brainer for them to get 4G out asap. Still this is a welcome sign that some companies are moving to 4G.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 11:05 PM

I hope this is the start of HDMI out as a standard on smartphones.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Actually AT&T will be the last to roll out 4G la guy. Also, did anyone else notice that the upload speed on Sprint's 4G was lower then the upload speed on their 3G?

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40
CCopeland replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 12:36 PM

If I actually had any money I would be buying Sprint stock today.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

I did as well InfinityzeN, thats a cool phone for sure. I just wonder if it has the make people switch appeal like the Iphone has... 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 10,995
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 5:26 PM

I think that is amazing to see an HDMI out on this to output pictures and videos in 720p.

So instead of plugging in a laptop, I can just plug in a phone. Stick that new SanDisk 32gb microSDHC and you can always have a few movies on hand.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,797
Points 45,505
rapid1 replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 11:38 PM

I am wondering about it on that angle myself CCopeland. One other thing Sprint is doing is that 69.99 deal with unlimited anything. That is awesome, and from what I was reading on a roundup I read about At&t, Verizon, Sprint, and Tmobile Print is splitting second place with Verizon in the 13 cities they did the testing in. They also have a strong 3G backbone (or no subscribers), because the upload rate was second to none in some market, and then second to At&t in others. This of course was not on 4G equipment as At&t as noted will be the last one that train. While Sprint will be the first this summer with a 4G smart phone. I am thinking they might be pulling there business back into the market to a more successful outlook all around from what it sounds like.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Now this is truly an amazing phone. It will be interesting to see how that HDMI works when porting a video towards a big screen.

This is what I like to see, when a phone offers all the bells and whistles. This would really be amazing if you could hook it up to your PC and use it like a 4G connectivity stick? that way you can essentially replace your ISP with only one device. It has gotten better, now that you don't have to lug around a multitude of devices for your phone, laptop, camera etc... The whole 3G/4G thing isstill kinda questionable to me. I get the feeling that 4G is still operating as 3G, at least until more devices can take advantage of it, or they figure out how to make 4g more stable.

Sprint's pricing has always been kinda shady! You get the feeling you only are going to have to pay 50 per month, then it mysteriously goes up at random intervals. For some reason here in Hawaii, that 69 dollars is automaticaly kicked up to 89 dollars kinda like an area fee. Although I am sure it is not as bad as the others. My Sprint phone has always served me well, and their customer service is decent compared to some of the others I have had to deal with.

Now I will have to check on what this thing will cost in the upgrade program. I am certain, like the others, I will have to pay full price for it. This is way more drool worthy than the face palm! :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Ok this thing is really way cooler than first thought!

It has tethering, which is a great feature. The 8MP camera is positioned just right, with two LED flashes!

Plus it has a kickstand. One thing that has always been missing since the inception of the Ipod!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

$69 is the cost of the plan.  No matter who you have for your phone carrier, you have to pay local, state, and federal taxes and fees.  The fees just show up more clearly on cheaper plans, since the fees are flat rate.  A $3 fee sticks out more on a $69 dollar plan then on a $150 plan.

Just take a look at your bill and see what everything other then the service charge is.  Oh, if you have the insurance on your phone that is $3~5 a month, and road side assistance I believe is $5.  Other than those two, everything else will be tax and fees that you would get stuck with no matter which phone company you got.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS