Dell Alienware Area-51 Core i7-980 X Infused Gaming PC

rated by 0 users
This post has 80 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310

Xolso, ricer? :D lol (pricier  right?)

They could make more then just selling whole computers if they would sell the case alone :D lol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

WOW this DELL computer is getting a LOT of attention. Just kidding, I think Alienware are finally stepping over Dell's restrictions and just making an awesome looking product. Not like their earlier PC's with the whole "alien" theme.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 140
pwhittak replied on Sat, Jun 19 2010 1:58 PM

I have got this i got it a moth ago paid for all the upgrades an it wz jst under 5.5k!! but it is amazin i lv the case i got the jet black case. This is my 1st comp and half me m8s play on xbox add us on steam i have like 5 m8s on it lol steam - pwhittak an if ya finkin of buyin one and wanna ask ?s dats cool

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 260

yeah im loving the new dellianware build quality.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,405
dlim783 replied on Thu, Jul 1 2010 3:07 PM

As a reminder, Alienware is rip-off! Dude, just customize your own rig and you save money!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator

Some people want to have it built for them. There are many companies that do that too.

What's wrong with them for charging for their designing and building a fine computer? They warranty it too. All of us here KNOW that we can build one cheaper than buying a ready made box,...........Some like to not hassle it.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,405
dlim783 replied on Thu, Jul 1 2010 3:48 PM

I don't trust Alienware at all! It's all about customization.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator

If you don't trust them then don't buy from them. Don't knock other people's choice to do so though.

They've been in business for a long, long time already and many are happy with them.

I wonder,.....have YOU ever owned one of their computers? Do you speak from experience or have you just heard that you don't like them?

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,405
dlim783 replied on Thu, Jul 1 2010 4:15 PM

My friend own an Alienware Laptop and he said the reliability wasn't good. You can talk everyone else on a forum, and they said that Alienware is bad because they're not making a good deal to sell their product on the market.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator

So you have no personal experience with that brand.

OK

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,405
dlim783 replied on Thu, Jul 1 2010 4:47 PM

You have no idea what's going on the market right now. Not a lot of people buys from Alienware company... If you care about Alienware company, then you're an idiot.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator

It's not that I care about them, I don't. You're posting all over these forums telling everyone how to do it. how to think, what to buy. and you really, when it all comes down to it don't know jack Sh*t. You THINK you do, but nobody's convinced yet.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 675

I own this PC and I have to say besides the intimidating case which isn't bad everything inside it besides the i7 and the video cards of course are trash. Everything from the liquid cooling to the motherboard is trash. Three slots of ram? at most? trash. They say it's a gaming PC. The liquid cooling brings my processor temps high enough without any overclocking, just web browsing. Overclocking is not possible with the stock parts or terrible bios with. When they say custom X58 motherboard- the reason for this is to save every last penny to make costs cheaper so they wouldn't have to buy a real motherboard.  The wiring is messy and hard to hide if at all, just like all dell XPS desktops if you've ever owned one. Alienware at it's current state will never top a Custom made computer or other boutique brands which actually give you the bang for your buck, like origin PC and Maingear. It makes me feel sick when someone calls this PC a boutique gaming rig or even thinks of it as a legitimate competitor in the PC gaming industry.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35

I don't know...  I just bought one (after having built 3 PC's previously) and for the components I got, I could not build this myself for the price.

• i7 980X OC processor
  • Samsung 256GB SSD
  • 6GB 1333 RAM
  • 1x Radeon 5970 GPU
  • 2x 1TB Barracuda 7200 drives in RAID1
  • 1000W power supply
  • Liquid Cooling
  • Case (ooooh that case... drool)
  • Blue Ray Player/Recorder

Final price $2998.00 pre tax and shipping.  Add in the cost of my time and warranty, and what I paid starts to seem more like an installment and less like the final bill.  I did catch it on Labor Day sale, but still...  I for one cannot believe that they can make this for that much.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Sep 19 2010 11:03 AM

RSummerlin:
I just bought one

It sounds like a nice rig. And yeah, the case is sweet.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 675

I ordered my Alienware ALX tower, around when the ATI"s 5870 was up and new. Practically when Alienware first unveiled the ALX PC. I did expect prices to drop over the time, but what you say you purchased it for is truly amazing. The Samsung 256GB SSD, 5970, 980X and twin Barracuda's! . As of now, assuming that's true; I'm a believer.

I bought my Alienware ALX for about 3200 altogether with tax.

i7-960

ATI 5870 crossfire*

6GB 1333 RAM

Standard Liquid Cooling

1TB Seagate standard 7200RPM drive

1200W power supply

and get this; no blu-ray!................oh and a free sound card, and media card reader, for when they replaced my entire system for problem's.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
abysm replied on Fri, Sep 24 2010 9:00 PM

Love the clean design, along with the Alienware front logo. Ah the things I would do for such a killer rig.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,025
Optix replied on Mon, Sep 27 2010 11:14 AM

Their prices may be good for high end setups but for budget gaming systems they're terrible.  Over $1000 for an i3 setup with an under powered video card?  No spanks.

Plus I'd rather tinker away and build my own anyway.

Intel i3 530 @ 4.2Ghz/Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3/2x2GB G.Skill Eco & 2x2GB Kingston Blu @ 1520mhz, Coolit Vantage C240

Sapphire 6850 Toxic Edition, Mushkin Calisto Deluxe 60GB, Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black, Western Digital Scorpio Black 200GB (Vantec NexStar3 enclosure)

LG GH22LS50 DVD Writer, Ultra X4 850w PSU

Lian Li PC-P50WB

Slave to technology.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Sep 27 2010 11:50 AM

Optix:
I'd rather tinker away and build my own

I agree to that,.....that's half the fun,.

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Points 2,085

I remember having a HUGE love for Alienware. I really wanted my next purchase to come from them....then they got bought out by Dell and all the reviews are looking shoddy. Its a shame

"The old appeals to racial, sexual, religious chauvinism to rabid nationalist furver are beginning not to work. A new consciousness is developing which sees the earth as a single organism and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed"- Carl Sagan

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Wrosemom replied on Sun, Dec 12 2010 10:44 AM

I don't like the size/weight, that matters to some people! I was looking at the smaller ones some companies have, like Falcon Northwest's fragbox and Maingear's x-cube. I heard that these smaller versions may have heating problems though, is that true?

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 290
Papapak replied on Sat, Feb 12 2011 5:07 PM

i wish i have this..... the case looks so cooll!!

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 675

It looks pretty cool, but there is hardly any room to work in it. There is no way to reroute the wires around the back because the right side of the case has wall mountable slots for hard drives. Installing liquid cooling across this case was a pain in a ass for me because I had such little room to work in. I couldn't really get away with using the half inch tubes which sucks. If I had to choose a case again it would be something like the "Lian Li PC-60FW Case".

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,295
DScheive replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 11:29 AM

How can they expect normal computer users to be able to afford or even make payments on this system? I mean for the price, i could get seprate parts and build my oen PC with even more computing power and more flexibility. :P i guess its an easier solution for people that dont have the knowledge :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 12:47 PM

DScheive:
for the price, i could get seprate parts and build my oen PC

This thread started a year ago. A year ago it was closer to top end, and prices were far different too. Not to say that they aren't making a nice profit on the system, but that's why they're in business. Here at HH, we could all build our OWN PC's for less.

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

Great article!  I like this line:  "For the most part, the average do-it-yourselfer isn't going to take much interest here, save for perhaps the appreciation of all the bleeding-edge technology and design quality that is the hallmark of such a system."   It sums up who I am.  I like reading about kickass tech, but I'm not going to seriously consider buying such tech because of the high cost.  

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 345

I am no fan of Dell and I agree with many that most here would just build their own PC, however I had to chime in about the case.. it is completely hideous. What were they thinking with this case design? The functionality of the case is great but to hide it all behind that external design is a waste. With Origin and Maingear producing exceptional PC's with great looks I guess Dell steeped in with an offering for those under 18 years of age.

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 345

Yes I sad steeped instead of stepped, I should proof read lol.

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 430
Grady56 replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 3:59 PM

When I was younger I thought the Alienware PC's were the best of the best, Until I learned to build PC's and figured out that Alienware's weren't what they really seemed to be. Although, I do like the Aesthetically pleasing features of the case..It looks really cool :)

^.^ Don't Look Back Or You'll Fall Over Whats Ahead Of You ^.^

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 6:56 PM

Grady56:
When I was younger I thought the Alienware PC's were the best of the best,

When they were brand new they were. It was run by enthusiasts, for gamers, and their stuff was pretty damn fast. Then came Dell,.....and that smell,......Smile

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,295
DScheive replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 6:04 AM

i love alienware... but it just cant stand up against a DIY computer built from scratch for half the money :P

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,295
DScheive replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 7:54 AM

thats why HotHardware should create a custom built PC section with different price ranges for different people and have the systems that are on it choosen from pc examples people have submitted :) that way it will give people ideas and it will also help out people that dont know how to build their own :)

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

I don't know I think I will stick to upgrading my own for now. I have a core i7 so I am up to date for a while atleast. I wan't to wait for something that really catches my attention. Although this case is awesome, I could use it to weigh down my car in the winter.  

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40
DRivera replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 1:55 AM

Exactly my point same thing i tell all my friends.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Other day I was checking the Alienware laptop, it was amazing gaming laptop with lights glowing on keypad.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 100
SKickland replied on Sat, Apr 16 2011 12:05 AM

This is such an awesome rig. I love the design? Someone give one to me question mark?Stick out tongue

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Jsudds replied on Thu, Jun 2 2011 4:04 PM

Wow.Dig.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Points 750

*glances at case, dies of star-shock*

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

DScheive:

thats why HotHardware should create a custom built PC section with different price ranges for different people and have the systems that are on it choosen from pc examples people have submitted :) that way it will give people ideas and it will also help out people that dont know how to build their own :)

heres some thing to get you started check out this old nerd

http://hothardware.com/News/Building-a-PC-HotHardware-and-This-Old-Nerd-Style/

and look around the site theres plenty of info on prices and parts to build a very nice sys and when you decide to build just post (i need help) and trust me someone at HH will help

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

realneil:

Grady56:
When I was younger I thought the Alienware PC's were the best of the best,

When they were brand new they were. It was run by enthusiasts, for gamers, and their stuff was pretty damn fast. Then came Dell,.....and that smell,......Smile

the guys that made up alienware are now orgin that explains the prices there

Page 2 of 3 (81 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS