Nintendo Announces 3D Version Of DS Handheld: No Glasses Required

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,362
Points 1,191,795
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Mar 23 2010 5:19 AM
Oh, boy. 3D really might be taking over the world. In all honesty, wewon't believe that until Google announces a 3D version of their searchengine, but believe us, it's probably already in the works. Just whenyou thought there couldn't possibly be another 3D announcement on thehorizon, Nintendo (of all companies!) comes out and hits the world inthe face with this one: a 3D version of the popular DS portable gaminghandheld.

As you may expect, Nintendo will be calling the system the 3DS, whichjust happens to work out really well for them. But what's interestingisn't that a company who broke new ground by introducing the world tomotion gaming (with the Wii remote), but how it'll be done. The new 3Dhandheld won't require the same 3D glasses that the vast majority ofconsumer 3D systems do today. According to reports, it will "allowusers to play three-dimensional (3D) games without using specialglasses."

Also wild is that the console will be able to "play titles created forprevious DS models and will belaunched in the financial year starting in April." This isn't the firstwe've heard of 3D in the gaming world; Sony already acknowledged that3D games would be coming to the PlayStation 3, but bringing 3D to ahandheld is definitely a first. Other third-party companies havecreated "skins" that give a faux 3D impression on existing devices, butthis marks the first time a major console maker has went out and donethings on their own.

Unfortunately, details about the 3DS are still scarce. We're hearingthat more details will be available in June at the annual E3 expo inCalifornia, but we suspect it will use the same larger screens that arefound in the recently release DSi XL. We also hope that whatevertechnology Nintendo will be using to deliver 3D without glasses canalso be used on HDTVs. We think 3D as a whole would take off far fasterif no one had to sit around donning those.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

It must be using some sort of linticular screen to generate a 3D effect.

or else it could just be another gimmick to use the name 3DS?

Either way I am surprised they are trying to pass something with such tiny screens off as 3D. Maybe you will have to hold it sideways and at a certain distance the two screens will match up and generate a 3D image :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 8:50 AM

Just bought a DSi XL? (queue Nelson voice...)

I just know my kids are going to ask for it.... arghhhh...

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Points 945
JoelB replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:13 AM

Just a guess, but I'd guess that they are using something similar to a fresnel lens on top of the screen (similar to that other no-glasses 3D display posted a few days ago). I wonder if it has any effect on image quality compared to a regular DS.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 12:12 PM

This is just horrible. The timing for announcing 3DS can not be any worse than now when the DSi XL is being released in the United States. This is Nintendo's Achilles heel. They have done this time after time...releasing refined versions of a core hardware rather than releasing good softwares to support the hardware.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 4:19 PM

Kyouya:

This is just horrible. The timing for announcing 3DS can not be any worse than now when the DSi XL is being released in the United States. This is Nintendo's Achilles heel. They have done this time after time...releasing refined versions of a core hardware rather than releasing good softwares to support the hardware.

I agree. It is stupid to announce a new DS days before the DSi XL even reached store shelves.

I've used my old DS more as a dictionary than I have as a handheld gaming device. New Pokemon game...? Can't play those games anymore.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 4:41 PM

Ha :) i never bought a DS as im not a fan of Nintendo for some reason... The only product i ever bought from them was Gamboy color/advance :) and the wii which i did not like and sold after a month or so.

That picture makes me dizzy...

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 590

Oh my God, I'm tired of Nintendo crapping out a new DS every year. The last DS I owned was the very first one, that I got on launch day (I think). I ended up selling it about 4 years ago to one of my friends for like $35. I know Nintendo is trying to claim the throne of "Handheld Console King" but they just keep adding one major thing to the DS every year. I want them to spend more time on the Wii, creating a better motion detection system, considering MotionPlus was the fail that it was.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS