Safe Driving Systems Eliminates Danger Of Texting While Driving

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,696
Points 1,157,110
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 22 2010 2:01 PM
We've all heard about the dangers of texting while driving. Study after study has shown the dangers and many organizations and states have responded with attempts to ban drivers from using their phones to send messages while behind the wheel. At the CTIA Wireless 2010 show, Safe Driving Systems plans to show off a new way to prevent texting while driving called Key2SafeDriving.

Key2SafeDriving is a combination of handset software and a "plug-and-forget Activator" that is installed in your car. Key2SafeDriving activates when the car starts. It puts your phone into Safe Driving Mode and disables the phone's ability to send or receive calls or text messages. Incoming calls are sent directly to voicemail and an automatic reply is sent to all text messages that indicate the recipient is driving and will respond later. For safety purposes, emergency calling functionality is always enabled, even when the phone is in Safe Driving Mode. This allows a user to place emergency 911 and other predetermined phone calls.

“Our number one goal is to help save lives by empowering parents, business owners and fleet managers with tools to eliminate mobile phones as a driving distraction and giving them peace-of-mind when their teenagers and employees are behind the wheel,” said Mike Fahnert, Safe Driving Systems CEO.

Key2SafeDriving also monitors and reports mobile phone activity that occurs while driving. Should a person attempt to send a text message or make a call when in Safe Driving Mode, the administrator can receive a text message to let them know his son or employee is attempting to break the rules.

Key2SafeDriving is available for BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, and Symbian phones. The company plans to release versions for other operating systems in the future. Key2SafeDriving is available for $99.95 with no annual subscription fees directly from Safe Driving Systems at http://safedrivingsystems.com/purchase.

• | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 305
bbdl replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 2:27 PM

This sounds like a great. thing. Luckily my daughter is not yet 16 and won't be so for a few years. So really as a mother I hope this or something like it really get's a hold in the market. This seems very smart at least from a parents point of view for now. With further developement it should probably just be a default in a new car. I think that would definitely make our children safer, not to mention the roads in general.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 4:54 PM

Sounds good as long as it does not get bypassed. Just like people jail break a phone I could see this software being bypassed or deactivated. If it can be engineered, it can be reverse engineered. Although I do think it is a great idea as texting while driving is not that bright.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,764
Points 40,470
Inspector replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 4:58 PM

OMG stupid refresh -.- i was watching that :( lol

:P im turning 16 in a few weeks :), but i would never text while i drive when i do drive :)

But what if you need to call your child in a emergency while hes driving?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 180
Points 1,660

I've seen too many really bad accidents from texting while driving . But away from that this is such a great idea i may get this when i get a car. so till then i guess i can text while i walk or is that illegal?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:26 PM

Inspector:

OMG stupid refresh -.- i was watching that :( lol

:P im turning 16 in a few weeks :), but i would never text while i drive when i do drive :)

But what if you need to call your child in a emergency while hes driving?

Maybe they could have given options like when you call customer service. Press 1 for for RMA, press 2 to speak to a representative. Where as in this case, you could press 1 for emergencies or 2 for just a regular call instead of going straight to the voicemail. If it is an emergency call, it could notify the driver to park the car and listen to the voicemail and call back. Or maybe just play the voicmail ASAP if it is a dire emergency. Then park the car to return the call.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

There are a lot of irresponsible and just really bad drivers out there, so I can see the potential market for this product. Personally though I don't really like the idea, but I guess it doesn't matter since I won't be forced to use it any time soon. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 6:39 PM

What ever happened to the good old speaker that was mounted in the top corner of the windshield for hands free driving, has it come to this where we must text?

Have something like Onstar I mean when someone gets in a wreck they speak to a person, why can't people do this more.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,764
Points 40,470
Inspector replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 8:37 PM

Ryu: that would work if others are calling him/her but what if he/she gets in a accident (not related to phones) and has to call his/her parents? This would stop him from doing so...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Hmmm...I wouldn't want the device installed in my ROFL copter...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Points 960
Zestia replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:25 PM

Every parent should get one of these for their child's car and insurance companies should offer a premium discount for any car that has it installed.

City subway systems should also make these mandatory on their trains and public transportation services.

Lastly, riders should have a push button activation mechanism in the back seat of every cab.

Ok, I'm kidding about this last one.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:25 PM

Inspector:

Ryu: that would work if others are calling him/her but what if he/she gets in a accident (not related to phones) and has to call his/her parents? This would stop him from doing so...

When you wrote, "But what if you need to call your child in a emergency while hes driving?" I guess I mistakenly interpreted it as something along the lines of an emergency happening elsewhere like at the house and the parents are trying to tell their child who happens to be driving.

If it is the other way around, I'm sure you could just detach that unit or turn off your car. Then make an emergency call.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,764
Points 40,470
Inspector replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:10 PM

No i did mean it he other way around before then u answered it and i came up with another what if :) lol.

What if the car was hit so bad it could not be removed(it was blocked or something)? xD lol so much questions :) lol "But these are things to think about before installing this Wink

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 3:28 AM

Inspector:

No i did mean it he other way around before then u answered it and i came up with another what if :) lol.

What if the car was hit so bad it could not be removed(it was blocked or something)? xD lol so much questions :) lol "But these are things to think about before installing this Wink

I think if the car was hit that bad in which it would be unable to pull out a device right above your leg, you wouldn't be making any calls. Might not be able to reach in your pocket or purse.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

This seems like a really good concept. Yet as a former kid myself :)

I am sure they will find a way around this faster than it can be installed. Kids today are very technically inclined. Just look at all those ignition locks that have been disabled by the DUI offenders. Just like the Dinosaurs in Jurassic park, They will find a way. maybe like using a different cellphone Although I do trust kids to be more reliable towards a system like this than in the past.

Seems like where this is really needed is on our public transportation systems, like buses or Trains.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 2:54 PM

animatortom:

This seems like a really good concept. Yet as a former kid myself :)

I am sure they will find a way around this faster than it can be installed. Kids today are very technically inclined. Just look at all those ignition locks that have been disabled by the DUI offenders. Just like the Dinosaurs in Jurassic park, They will find a way. maybe like using a different cellphone Although I do trust kids to be more reliable towards a system like this than in the past.

Seems like where this is really needed is on our public transportation systems, like buses or Trains.

Since I live in southern California, everyone here drives cars. I have rarely taken public transport. The few times I have are when I have gone oversees for vacation in Asia. Can you enlighten me as to why something like this device would be need on public transportation systems?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

humm lest see you get into an accident and the car is still on and you cant turn it of due to the accident, so you cant call for help and its like you never had a cell phone...

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,764
Points 40,470
Inspector replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 6:38 PM

You can... it does not block 911 calls, only regular calls  :)

LOL RYU great answers :)

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS