Internet Explorer's Market Share Slips in Europe

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:35 AM
According to the latest stats from web tracking firm Statcounter, Internet Explorer has been losing ground in Europe, including big markets like France, Britain, and Italy. Hardly surprising given the sanctions imposed on Redmond by the European Union to include a so-called browser ballot with Windows.

So far in March, IE's web surfing share is down in France by 2.5 percent from one month prior, while shares are down 1.3 percentage points and 1 point in Italy and Britain, respectively.

"We have seen significant growth in the number of new Firefox users as a result of the Ballot Choice screen," Mozilla recently stated. "We expect these numbers to increase as the Ballot Choice screen fully rolls out across all countries."

Opera Software, currently the fourth largest browser firm, has also benefited from the browser ballot. The company claims Opera downloads have more than doubled in Europe, noting particularly strong results in Italy, Spain, and Poland, where downloads have reportedly tripled.

What browser are you rocking? Tell us in the comments section below.
  • | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 170
ttvinko replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:20 PM

Personally I am not the least bit surprised.

Lou

www.mask-your-ip.se.tc

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:33 PM

Ha it comes to no suprise as they did not want it installed on the os why would they download after all that :)

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 305
bbdl replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 2:37 PM

This seems to be a good thing. Why should you not just have free choice, instead of having to use what is given to you, as there are several choices for a browser. I still use Internet Explorer some, and I use Firefox although I am kind of new on it I like it. The big part of all this seems to be Internet explorer and all it's ties into Windows as well as other functions is overall a big weakness for Windows. I say this because every virus is made for it generally. I know this is because it is the widest used operating system. It just seems like most of it is targeted or at least a large part of viruses are targeted at something from Internet Explorer.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:13 PM

>> Opera downloads have more than doubled in Europe

They are one of the ones that will benefit most from equal placement. As Opera is headquartered in Oslo, they are the "local team" for European users.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:26 PM

IE will lose much more market share if they do not fix all the security problems, I made the switch because of the security problems with IE to Chrome and love it!!!! It is quick, easy on my resources, and being I use Google search it was a natural fit.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

They had that security fiasco earlier in the year so I'm not surprised that the market share dropped. Now that IE won't be the default browser anymore, this share should even further.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Weren't we commenting at the end of last year? About the euro government saying IE was not safe, and driving people away from it!

So now we are finally seeing some result? So it took three months or more to implement this smear tactic. That shows you how strong Microsoft is, even in Europe.

I have stayed away from Firefox just because of unknown issues that I am sure all users don't know about. When these things are faster, that just means that things can be attacked even faster that you wont even know about it. If something is moving slow enough that you can actually see it, and you notice when something that doesn't fit passes by, you have the ability to notice it. If the same process passes by at 200times the speed that you cant even see half of what you did before, then twice as many attacks can happen. It is simple physics.

What if those others, were not only attacking your browser at lightning speed. But they were doing it in an organized manner, so you would think everything is OK. They used to make us read "1984" back in school, I just wonder if they still do, or if they are teaching it from the other side in the book?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 651
Points 5,915
mhenriday replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 3:46 PM

The StatCounter statistics for browser-version market share in Europe (http://preview.tinyurl.com/y8f429k ) are even more instructive than those for browser market share. With regard to «animatortom»'s comment above, I fear I fail to understand why enabling a choice of browsers is more «1984»-like than not doing so. But then, I'm slow on the uptake, so I also fail to understand quite what he means by «unknown issues that I am sure all users don't know about». The explanation (?) he gives in his posting is hardly a model of clarity....

Henri

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS