Powercolor Debuts HD5770-Based 5-Plug Eyefinity GPU

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,510
Points 1,197,180
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Mar 18 2010 6:17 PM
We've been having a bit of fun ourselves with a fancy 6-screen ATI Eyefinity setup in the HH labs, but someone obviously things that aneven half-dozen may be "overkill" for some. So obviously, 5 isperfectly acceptable. Powercolor, which knows a thing or two aboutgraphics cards, has just introduced their HD5770 Eyefinity 5, whichfeatures " multi-display eyefinity technology, enables up to 5 monitorsto be operated from one card through its five mini displayport onboarddesign." You heard right, this card has five mini-DisplayPorts on it,so if you need some other selection, you'll need an awful lot ofadapters.

The card itself is based around the ATI HD5770, with an 850MHz coreclock speed, 1200MHz memory speed, 1GB of GDDR5 memory, support forDirectX 11, but there's no word yet on price or a ship date.

POWERCOLOR ANNOUNCES THE FIRST AND ONLY GRAPHICS SOLUTION ON THE PLANET: HD5770 Eyefinity 5

The first graphics solution to support up to 5 display monitors

Taipei, Taiwan -March 18, 2010 -- TUL Corporation, a leading manufacturer of AMD graphics cards, today introduces the first and only graphics solution on the planet: the HD5770 Eyefinity 5. The HD5770 Eyefinity 5 features multi-display eyefinity technology, enables up to 5 monitors to be operated from one card through its five mini displayport onboard design. Gamers can easily make use of this unique feature and have different display configurations to enjoy a wider field of view and get more done at the same time.

Display Configurations

This unparalleled graphics solution takes advantage of the HD5770 series features, clocking in at 850 MHz core speed and 1200MHz memory speed, the card is ready to tackle all the latest game titles and enable a superior gaming experience. With support for Microsoft's DirectX® 11, the HD5770 Eyefinity 5 provides the most vivid gaming experience like never before. Compatible with ATI Stream technology, the card enables demanding data parallel compute tasks from the CPU to GPU, accelerating daily applications.

"As the first graphics solution supports up to 5 displays, the PowerColor HD5770 Eyefinity 5 delivers an immersive HD gaming performance with wider field of view and increases productivity at the same time," says Ted Chen, CEO of TUL Corporation.

About TUL Corporation
TUL is a leading supplier of AMD graphics cards under the PowerColor brand. We offer award-winning products based on our technology leading components, quality design and superb engineering. TUL employs more than 150 talents worldwide, with offices in China, Europe, Russia and USA to support over 300 channel partners and distributors in 50 plus countries. For further information, visit: http://www.tul.com.tw/global/
For more product information, visit: www.powercolor.com.

• | Post Points: 185
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 6:55 PM

I like seeing more card manufacturers adding display port. This is starting to solve the chicken and egg problem. Monitors not really offering display port monitors because cards don't have it and vice versa. Hopefully, this would push monitors manufacturers to add display port to more of their line-up and not just to the ones with high-end panels.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 865
M-ManLA replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 7:01 PM

I agree. I would like to see more displayports around. This is a new standard but is not widespread yet. I would like to see more monitors and graphics boards with displayports.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,797
Points 40,660
Inspector replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 7:01 PM

Got a question... Why 5? why not 4 or 6/any even number... With 5 Screens am i going to put 3 on bottom and 2 on top or 5 in landscape straight across...? :)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 7:20 PM

Most likely the maximum amount of ports they could fit on a single bracket.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Points 960
Zestia replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 7:22 PM

Agreed. Even 3 in landscape might make sense but in my opinion, that's the last odd number that should be considered.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,797
Points 40,660
Inspector replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 7:36 PM

they could always have made it on to 2 brackets Stick out tongue lol. Yea the only odd number i would consider putting straight across my table (if it would fit) would be 3 in portrait/landscape mode any bigger there is no need for unless they go stacking up :)

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 210
nelvik replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 8:27 PM

5 monitors...arrange it like what is on a 6 sided die: 2 on each side, and one in the middle.

but can you tell the card that you arranged it like that?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 8:51 PM

Hmmm... that's actually a pretty original (from my perspective) configuration, nelvik! And... it might actually have uses! Double points to you!

(I know the windows tool doesn't allow you to arrange them in anything but a 2D plane, but you make a great point)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,890
sp12 replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 9:26 PM

I don't get why they chose such a low-end GPU to base a 5-screen solution around....?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,797
Points 40,660
Inspector replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 10:00 PM

Nelvik you mean the 5 on a 6 sided die? if so won't it look weird with 2 screens stacked on each side then have 1 screen smacked in the middle? it would be weird no the less.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 10:26 PM

Might be good for a conference room or something. I cannot think who would need that many outputs. Maybe a stock trader or someone who had multiple data charts simultaneously running could benefit from this. I am a gamer baby give me one bad boy with pixel pushing power and I am set!!!!!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 11:36 PM

la_guy_10:

Might be good for a conference room or something. I cannot think who would need that many outputs. Maybe a stock trader or someone who had multiple data charts simultaneously running could benefit from this. I am a gamer baby give me one bad boy with pixel pushing power and I am set!!!!!!

That is what I was thinking too. The setup doesn't have to be for a single person. I think it would be pretty cool to have this in a conference/meeting instead of just one Power Point on one screen. With the extra screens, you could have a lot more info displayed (pictures, charts, graphs, etc.).

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Fri, Mar 19 2010 12:45 AM

Well it also seems to be a low profile video card where most of the others are double slot cards. I don't know exactly how a 5770 would do running this many monitors either. It would really seem to be pushing a card with minimal cooling to me.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Mar 19 2010 4:49 AM

rapid1:

Well it also seems to be a low profile video card where most of the others are double slot cards. I don't know exactly how a 5770 would do running this many monitors either. It would really seem to be pushing a card with minimal cooling to me.

Looks to be a single slot, not a low profile. There are cards that are only single slot but the cooler they slap on is big and takes up the adjacent pci slot. But yes, this only has 1 pci mounting bracket.

Cooling is probably better and/or quieter than the stock 5770 cooler.

Pushing 5 monitors should be fine as long as you aren't trying to game on 5. I don't think this was really meant for gaming on 5 monitors. That is what the 5870 6 Edition is for.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Points 945
JoelB replied on Fri, Mar 19 2010 10:15 AM

I still see one other problem with this - from what I've heard the cost of active DisplayPort adapaters is prohibitively high (like close to $100 a piece). That means you either have to buy DisplayPort monitors (which seem expensive) or buy cheaper monitors and buy an adapter for each monitor.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 90
LockeCPM5 replied on Fri, Mar 19 2010 11:27 AM

After seeing Eyefinity in action, I still think the 3 screen approach is the best for gaming. 5 plugs is odd, but it would make sense for people that are big time multitakers. 5 screens would be odd for gaming.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 325
Cheezit replied on Fri, Mar 19 2010 12:19 PM

What's the advantage of mini display port over dvi or hdmi?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Mar 19 2010 4:02 PM

Cheezit:

What's the advantage of mini display port over dvi or hdmi?

I think mini DisplayPort is just the size. Other than that, it should be the same as regular DisplayPort.

The big advantage for DisplayPort is that it was designed specifically for the PC. That is why ATI cards are able to do something like Eyefinity, because of DisplayPort's embedded clock.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 180
Points 1,660

which is better ati cards or nvidia

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

This is what still bugs me, how they always seem to make multiple cards to confuse buyers. I am a huge fan of ATI cards, mostly for workstation GPU's, but gaming/HT cards as well.

You can mark my words! In about six months the Radeon 5970 will probably be the same price as this one with twice the power! And I am sure they will probably come out with a version that has 5 ports as well. The question is do you really need all those ports, which also means all those monitors and all the power requirements as well.

If you really want big views, just go get yourself a projector that can do 300" displays. Five displays@ 40"=200"? Now you want to stack them and still have the edges cutting through the views? Imagine the cost of the monitors, plus the cables everywhere. With projectors you can always split up the screens to have multiple images, and only two boxes on a shelf a couple cables and some screen or screen paint on the wall. Also if you get two projectors that handle 1080P and a rockin card such as the 5970 or better. It would mean less space requirements less power, and a much more awesome seamless, huge display!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:17 AM

animatortom:

This is what still bugs me, how they always seem to make multiple cards to confuse buyers. I am a huge fan of ATI cards, mostly for workstation GPU's, but gaming/HT cards as well.

You can mark my words! In about six months the Radeon 5970 will probably be the same price as this one with twice the power! And I am sure they will probably come out with a version that has 5 ports as well. The question is do you really need all those ports, which also means all those monitors and all the power requirements as well.

If you really want big views, just go get yourself a projector that can do 300" displays. Five displays@ 40"=200"? Now you want to stack them and still have the edges cutting through the views? Imagine the cost of the monitors, plus the cables everywhere. With projectors you can always split up the screens to have multiple images, and only two boxes on a shelf a couple cables and some screen or screen paint on the wall. Also if you get two projectors that handle 1080P and a rockin card such as the 5970 or better. It would mean less space requirements less power, and a much more awesome seamless, huge display!

There are people who want this stuff and are paying for it. That is why they make it. They aren't going to make something for the hell of it.

I personally would take the multi-monitor setup over a projector because I prefer more pixels.

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS