Twitter, Facebook Fiends Stop Sexing to Start Texting

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,749
Points 1,210,260
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Mar 18 2010 10:58 AM
How often do you feel compelled to log into Facebook or Twitter and see what your friends are up to? An even bigger question is, would you ever shove your partner away during an intimate moment to see what's happening in your online world? If so, you're not only addicted to social networking, your priorities are also way out of whack.

According to a recent study by Retrevo Inc., an online electronics vendor and review site, social networking may be more habit forming than you imagined.

"The latest Retrevo Gadgetology study asked social media users questions such as when, where, and how much time they spend on sites and services like Facebook and Twitter. We were not surprised to learn how many people appear to be, shall we say, obsessed with checking in with their social media circles throughout the day and even the night," commented Andrew Eisner, Retrevo's director of Community and Content.

Helping Eisner come to that conclusion, the study showed that 48 percent check or update Facebook or Twitter right before going to bed or as soon as they wake up. But that stat alone isn't troubling. What concerns us most is that 7 percent of respondents said they would check out a message during an intimate moment. Talk about killing the mood. Even more perplexing is that more respondents under the age of 25 said they would be willing to stop having sex to check their messages than those over 25 years old (11 percent vs 6 percent, respectively).

There are plenty of other troubling stats, such as 32 percent admitting they would run away from a meal to get their social networking fix, and way too many respondents aren't even willing to break away from their online lives when nature calls. Gross.

"Some of this can be ascribed to the newness and freshness of the social networking craze," said Dan Olds, an analyst with The Gabriel Consulting Group. "With many people, it will probably smooth out as they become more used to it. However, there will be a percentage of people who become somewhat addicted to social networking -- to checking up on it, to maintaining it, to extending it.

"This could cause problems in their real lives as it consumes more and more of their time and attention," Olds added.

Eisner doesn't go quite as far and readily admits he's not "qualified to declare a societal, social media crisis," but like us, he is left pondering (and scratching his head) over some of the responses.

Are you or is someone you know addicted to social networking? Is there such a thing? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section below! And don't forget to feed your addiction by subscribing to our own Facebook and Twitter feeds - just be sure to finish your 'business' first.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 12:02 PM

Lmfao epic picture you have there! I'm addicted to HH not really facebook or Twitter....

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

I was banging this chick over the weekend, and after about an hour or so we took a quick break and I definitely checked Facebook and Jalopnik before we got going again.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 12:49 PM

As I said before Inspector HH is going to become the facebook for us gamer/hardware/technology whatever watchers, investigators, discussants etc. As for drew and not u's comment, it does not count when your having fantasies on Halflife bro, your a different kind of addict then. Not to mention our interest on your personal activity's are way less detailed than that. We don't need to nor really want to know your Halflife fantasies in detail either.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

Sense of humor FTL!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Indeed Inspector. If anything, I try to stay away from Twitter and facebook because I don't want my friends to know what I'm upto! Obviously that strategy has failed, and I spend waaay too much time on Twitter and facebook.

Anyway, here's a Chrome Add-on that will help us addicts actually get some work done:

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/laankejkbhbdhmipfmgcngdelahlfoji?hl=en

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Seriously bro, your hand does not count.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

I'll admit that I check my Facebook before I go to bed, and first thing in the morning when I wake up. Well...not exactly first thing. I wake up, press the power button on my PC, get my clothes ready and turn on the shower, go back to my room and log into my PC, then take a shower and all of the following...and FINALLY settle down in the morning to check my email, Facebook, HH (lol) and start my day. 

I will never, NEVER, check my internet social life during romance. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 3:55 PM

LMFAO way to go WAY of topic :P. that's a nice chick though...(The Hand...)

i actually only check my facebook right before or while im in bed about to sleep. Then in the morning ... FIRST thing is check HH :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Thu, Mar 18 2010 6:08 PM

I don't use Twitter. I do use Facebook and I found that I have been checking it more often lately. But I don't have a web-browser based phone so that could be stopping my from being an addict. Wink

Jokes aside, I think some of these numbers were surprising to me. Specifically the numbers for "meeting" and "sex." I cannot imagine doing that during a meeting, unless you were working for Zappos, but even then.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I just do not understand this!

If twitter and FB is better than sex, then you are seriously doing it wrong!

As a surfer, they try and say it is better than sex as well? I just don't see it. I love surfing...But *** on!

I don't see them making blue pills for twittering! Although I am sure that will be the next late night commercial we see, selling sugar pills that increase your twitter performance so you can go all night. Then maybe they will also have twitter strip clubs as well, where you go in and pay $20 to have someone tweet you a lap dance.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance