Game Developers Conference 2010 Highlights

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,804
Points 1,213,265
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 15 2010 12:17 PM

Just this past week, the Game Developers Conference was held in downtown San Francisco, CA. If you're unfamiliar with GDC, it is the "world's largest professionals-only game industry event." In other words, everyday gaming enthusiast can't just walk in off the street to take a look around. GDC is held every spring and is basically a forum for learning and networking for the creators of computer, console, handheld, mobile, and online games. Hundreds of companies come out to present their latest wares, preview upcoming titles, and also interview thousands of potential game developers...

Game Developers Conference 2010 Highlights

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Mon, Mar 15 2010 2:00 PM

Wow - as soon as that VisuMotion comes down in price, I WANT ONE!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,851
Points 45,910
rapid1 replied on Mon, Mar 15 2010 3:30 PM

Those Reactor systems are just awesome, and the 3D without glasses is a real glimpse of the future I think. With GPU's going as high in functionality as they are today, and with the next releases the taxation on a single display will got down considerably as long as your GPU is top of the line ATI or Nvidia. 

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

indeed the VisuMotion display is sweet! I have gotten to see one of those in real life, it was a blast to play with

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

I can't wait to move to California. I've never been to a convention...ever. I know that they have them in Boston and such, but I live in SC, so my options are....ill to none. 

Anyway, I know I keep saying this. But the next 20 years....AWESOME. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Tue, Mar 16 2010 10:13 AM

3vi1:

Wow - as soon as that VisuMotion comes down in price, I WANT ONE!

I couldn't get a good idea of the 3D effect on the video. Matt, what did you think about it, was the 3D effect significant enough to make you want to drop $2k on it?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 3:25 PM

Marius Malek:

I can't wait to move to California. I've never been to a convention...ever. I know that they have them in Boston and such, but I live in SC, so my options are....ill to none. 

Anyway, I know I keep saying this. But the next 20 years....AWESOME. 

GDC is especially expensive. My friend went and said it was great. Got free stuff like the Droid phone. Apparently, he name was drawn for a prize drawing to win some sort of Xbox 360 and Modern Warfare thing (worth $1k) but he was doing an interview. His brother was there but didn't have the courage to claim the prize for him...

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
Been to all of them on a regular basis except this one :(

E3, Sigraph, comic con, All just a real blast!!

Plus the Swag is always fun to collect, all are geeks paradise!!
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 1:09 AM

animatortom:

Been to all of them on a regular basis except this one :(

E3, Sigraph, comic con, All just a real blast!!

Plus the Swag is always fun to collect, all are geeks paradise!!

Never heard of Sigraph before.

Only conventions I've been to are Anime-expo and Fanime. Only been to both once. Not sure if I will go again. It was kinda expensive (especially the hotel) and I didn't really like Fanime that much. Driving to San Jose from Orange County was a pain.

I really want to go to TGS and E3.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
Never been to TGS, although my GF is Japanese, that is enough of a game show for me :P
Seems like everyone is trying to do Fanime now. That is why it is so hard to be original, and even harder to hold onto your ideas. Because everyone is so starved.
That is why I always rant about all the remakes of movies, and copying of ideas! It is kinda hard to think of anything that has been original in the past 15 years. Even the Matrix was just a compilation of various Anime filmed in live action.
Sigraph is for the professionals in the fields of computer arts and animation, game development and the likes. Even then it is expensive to get into. E3 used to be mainly for the pro's as well, then they figured they could get more money and exposure if they open it up to everyone.
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:42 PM

animatortom:

Never been to TGS, although my GF is Japanese, that is enough of a game show for me :P
Seems like everyone is trying to do Fanime now. That is why it is so hard to be original, and even harder to hold onto your ideas. Because everyone is so starved.
That is why I always rant about all the remakes of movies, and copying of ideas! It is kinda hard to think of anything that has been original in the past 15 years. Even the Matrix was just a compilation of various Anime filmed in live action.
Sigraph is for the professionals in the fields of computer arts and animation, game development and the likes. Even then it is expensive to get into. E3 used to be mainly for the pro's as well, then they figured they could get more money and exposure if they open it up to everyone.

LOL. Liked how you compared your GF to a game show.

Thanks for the Siggraph link. Seems like they hold it all over the world and quite frequently too.

Yeah, E3 went through a few changes. Before it was great. Then they dumbed it down because companies said they were spending too much on E3 and getting no returns on it. So I think it was media only for a few years.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS