Lenovo Expects 80% Of Future Sales To Involve Mobile Wireless

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,396
Points 1,192,640
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 12 2010 5:35 PM
If we told you that the trend in technology was towards the mobileside, you probably wouldn't be surprised. Think about how much mobilenews you've seen over the past few years, and try to think if you hadever seen or heard that much mobile news in the 10 years prior. Thesmartphone has emerged as a must-have tool in society, whereas it was areal luxury held only by certain businesspeople a decade ago. Thinkabout the notebook PC; now, more people are buying notebooks in placeof desktops than ever before, because those machines are nimble andable to be easily transported.

Lenovo is a huge company in the notebook and desktop space.Having the ThinkPad line has been the hallmark of their arrival in the market when they picked up the division from IBM years ago.  It seems thatthe company is anticipating that sales of their equipment will trend smaller (in terms ofitem size) as the years move on. According to a new report based onquotes from CEO Yang Yuanqing, wireless Internet products will accountfor "up to 80%" of total Lenovo sales within five years. That's a hugepercentage, and that means that Lenovo expects four out of five itemsthat it sells to be release with mobile Internet in some way.

But with the proliferation of mobile Broadband, particularly WWAN chipsthat are built into netbooks, notebooks and tablet PCs, this claimseems a bit less far-fetched. Yang stated that "mobile Internet is veryimportant," and that "even today, notebook sales already are higherthan desktops. MobileInternet products are going to be 70 to 80 percent of our sales ...within three to five years." He also stated his plans to pursue mobileInternet sales in emerging economies such as Asia, Latin America andEastern Europe, though no acquisitions were in their roadmap.

We're curious to know if any other companies are in this same boat.Does everyone view mobile sales as such an important aspect of totalsales in the near future? Does this explain the sudden influx of tabletand slate PCs? Does this explain the cutting back of desktopproduction? How small can we reasonably go? And can our networks handleall of this mobile data usage? Only time will tell, but it shoulddefinitely be interesting to watch it all pan out.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 9:22 PM

I can see this happen too, There are lots of people that are buying wireless technology because its handy and no need for wires :P lol, But i will always have a desktop by my side Wink

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Sat, Mar 13 2010 12:11 AM

Yeah I am of the same mind Inspector I love my desktops of course been building them for years. I can see this though. We are in many cases not like the general public. You know the difference in DDR2 1066, DDR3 1066 and DDR3 1600 as well as the timings on each as well as hard drives video cards CPU's and there specifics. A very large number of people (considerably the greater amount of society), not only has no clue they don't wanna know.

I can see this, where the tablet-net/notebook-smartphone and future version replace them for the general public. There are just so many options as well, and there will be more when the years done, and more next year. The technology also is getting smaller and smaller, so in many cases a laptop 2 years from now, may very easily beat your desktop. This is because development goes where the market is.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS