Sony Introduces Motion Controller: Behold The PSWii

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,480
Points 1,196,075
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 12 2010 4:57 PM
It wasn't supposed to happen this way. Back when all three consoles were just spec sheets and demo units it was Microsoft vs. Sony and Blu-ray vs. HD DVD. Even the pundits who thought the Wii's motion control interface could win it market share weren't predicting that the modest device would prove as popular as the XBox and PS3 combined. Both Microsoft and Sony realized some time back that the Wiimote wasn't just a fad and adjusted their plans accordingly. Microsoft has been hard at work on Project Natal, while Sony has finally taken the wraps off its own controller dubbed the Playstation Move.

Reports coming back from GDC, where Sony unveiled the Move this week, are generally positive, with industry journalists often praising how the controller feels in games like SOCOM 4. Like the Wiimote, the Move will be paired with a secondary nunchuk, and it's not clear how much the two controllers and the PlayStation Eye will cost.

Just because motion control was an integral part of the Wii's design doesn't mean it'll be a slam dunk for Sony. The additional peripherals add to the cost of what's already the most expensive console on the market and developers won't be able to exclusively target the Playstation Move or automatically assume that PS3 players are using it. Technologically, Sony's Move appears to be the equal of the Wiimote, but do PS3 owners want to play the same way Wii owners do? 
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655
Inspector replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 5:39 PM

Nunchucks! lol

"Sony's Move appears to be the equal of the Wiimote, but do PS3 owners want to play the same way Wii owners do?"

I surly do not Wink i sold my wii for a xbox -.- lol (i just don't like moving that much while enjoying a game. Its a time to relax not get buff or healthy! lol)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 5:54 PM

I wonder if they'll come out with a gun add-on like that for the Wii controllers? I think more PS3 owners would want that than just the Move by itself.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 865
M-ManLA replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 7:06 PM

It is not called the nunchuk on the Sony controller. It is called the sub controller.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,077
Points 11,665
Joel H replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 8:27 PM

They don't call it the PSWii, either. :P

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655
Inspector replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 9:25 PM

By the way is that a microphone on the "NUNCHUCK"?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 11:52 PM

I don't know if I would like the two units mold like this seems to show. I don't own one but remember the Nintendo dual controllers back in the day. If I remember right it was easier to use because of the rigidity offered, which made movement more stable.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Sun, Mar 14 2010 10:06 AM

It's supposed to be much more precise and superior to the Wii mote. If you've wondering about the weird ball on top, it's supposed to change color based on the color of your walls and background, so the PS3 eye can better detect it.

The E3 Trailer is worth a watch:

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14318622/playstation-motion-controller-e3-demo-series/videos/gdc10_sonymove_trailer.html

Notice how the commercial is geared towards families...just like the Wii...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sun, Mar 14 2010 6:40 PM

>> By the way is that a microphone on the "NUNCHUCK"?

Hehe... I don't think so - I think it's just a big day-glow ball for the 'eye' to see.

Coincidentally: When I first saw it, I thought to myself - "They should make that double as a microphone".

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS