MSI's 17.3" GE700 Desktop Replacement Boasts Core i5 CPU And ATI GPU

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,171
Points 1,185,735
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 12 2010 10:51 AM
We're not usually ones to call a company "on fire," but MSI isdefinitely just that. Notebook after notebook has been announced fromthe company over the past week or two, and instead of taking Fridayoff, these guys and girls have popped out a real stunner. The GE700 isthe company's latest big boy, a 17" gaming and entertainment machinethat sports a jet black chassis, brushed silver accents and Intel'snewest Core i5 CPU.

The desktop replacement sector definitely needs the competition, sowe're happy to see another entry from MSI making its debut. Thismachine will ship with Windows 7 Home Premium, ATI's Radeon HD 5730 GPU(1GB VRAM), twin DDR3 RAM slots, a 17.3" HD+ panel, a 2.5" hard driveslot (250/320/500GB HDD with dual drive support as an option), a 4-in-1card reader, HDMI and VGA outputs and four USB 2.0 ports. There's alsoeSATA, mic-in, a headphone out, Ethernet, a 6- or 9-cell battery,Bluetooth 2.1, 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, an HD webcam, stereo speakers and asubwoofer, a numeric keyboard and support for DirectX 11.

There's plenty of horsepower here for the vast majority of users, butit's not quite as potent as a Core i7 machine. We view this as a happymedium between a hardcore gamer's notebook and a multimedia viewer'snotebook. The Core i5 will handle most games with ease, and it shouldlead to lower prices and better power ratings than Core i7-basedalternatives. MSI isn't revealing price or release data yet, but theyusually ship machines fairly soon after announcements.

Exceptional multimedia and processing performance
ATI Radeon HD5730 discrete graphics card (with 1GB DDR3 VRAM):TheGE700 is equipped with the ATI Radeon HD5730 discrete graphics cardwith 1GB DDR3 display memory for superior display performance and lowerpower consumption. It also supports DirectX 11 for outstanding 3Dgraphic effects.

All new 2010 Intel® Core™ Processor:The MSI GE700 comes withIntel's powerful, energy-sipping Core i5 processor with Intel TurboBoost and Intel® Hyper-Threading technology for dynamic enhancedprocessing efficiency. It handles more data and greatly enhancesoverall system performance.

All new style goes high tech
High tech black and silver body:The GE700's all new high techexterior comes with MSI's own color film print technology. The coverhas a bright jet black coating, while the area below the keyboard has alayered silver brushed finish. The blending of silver and black givesthe GE700 a distinctively high tech feel.

Luminescent Touch Hotkeys:The GE700 continues the MSI gamingnotebook tradition of high tech style. Above the keyboard is a uniqueluminescent touch hotkeys strip with fire-engine red shortcut keys,including GPU Boost, Cinema Pro, and Multimedia Control, are arrangedsystematically to highlight the GE700's speed.

Flexible performance to maximize battery time
Exclusive ECO Engine Power Saving Technology:The GE700 comesequipped with MSI’s exclusive ECO Engine Power Saving Technology whichallows you to select from among five power management levels—VideoGame, Film, Presentation, Word Processing, and Turbo Battery, for justthe right amount of performance, when you need it.

Exclusive GPU Boost Technology:MSI’s exclusive GPU BoostTechnology allows the GE700 to strike the ideal balance betweenmultimedia performance and battery efficiency. When using applicationsthat require high performance image processing, a touch of the GPUBoost key puts the GE700 into discrete mode for the ultimate inmultimedia performance. When extended battery life is a priority,however, simply depress the Battery key to cut off the discretegraphics card and switch the GE700 to integrated display chip mode.

Exclusive Cinema Pro Technology:The GE700's powerful hardwaremaximizes both your gaming and film viewing experience. A touch of theCinema Pro key switches the GE700 to film mode for higher screenresolution and richer colors.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 2:37 PM

MSI is on fire lol. There are new laptops daily it seems. I like the components on this one though, it is a great multi use laptop it seems. I don't know though I am still kind of wishing I would have gotten a little smaller unit than my 17". The big thing is a laptop is supposed to be mobile. A 17" or larger unit does not work so well with that, not to mention on the plug is the main usage pattern with 1. So if I was going with a desktop replacement, I would want a better CPU, and graphics really. This would be good for a 15" I think at least better in my eyes. This is also not to mention some other companies units right now (MX11), of course the sizes are widely varied. For a true laptop I know I would not go with anything over a 15" any more.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Your not lying rapid. MSI seems to be putting out a new laptop almost every single week for the last few months. Not only that, but they seem cover the full range from netbook to max size desktop replacement. Almost like their taking a que from ATI and sticking something in every price bracket/power band in as short a time period as possible.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Mar 13 2010 7:55 PM

I like their quality of build. This is a nice PC.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, Mar 13 2010 8:37 PM

They are pushing out very nice systems and at a very fast rate! Great Job MSI!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 90
LockeCPM5 replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 1:46 PM

If they release this at the right price point, this machine will be a winner hands down.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS