Verizon Wireless On Track To Deliver LTE By Year End

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,662
Points 1,154,940
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Mar 9 2010 9:13 PM
Since August 2009, Verizon Wireless has been testing its upcoming 4G LTE network in Boston and Seattle. Now, the wireless carrier wants to boast about the test results. The trials have shown the network is capable of peak download speeds of 40 to 50Mbps and peak upload speeds of 20 to 25Mbps. In addition, the tests have shown average LTE data rates of 5-12 Mbps on the downlink and 2-5 Mbps on the uplink.

At these speeds, customers will be able to enjoy mobile browsing speeds that are comparable to what users would expect from a wired home Internet connection. Verizon Wireless also points out that the speeds are significantly faster than any wireless provider's current or promised 3G network speeds. During the tests, there have been successful data calls involving streaming video, file uploads and downloads, Web browsing, and calls with VoIP.

“Our LTE rollout plan positions Verizon Wireless to be a global leader in 4G LTE deployment. We are on track to deliver an outstanding wireless data experience to customers in 25 to 30 markets covering roughly 100 million people by year’s end,” said Tony Melone, senior vice president and chief technical officer at Verizon Wireless. “As device makers, manufacturers and others around the world begin to introduce newer and faster products to take advantage of these incredible new speeds, Verizon Wireless will be positioned to offer our customers new and exciting products on the nation’s first 4G LTE network.”
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Tue, Mar 9 2010 11:20 PM

This is the thing I have been talking about in posts about At&t. I don't understand there "We're upgrading our 3G" comments. When this goes live, and if the forecast is to be believed this will be finished in 9 months. Verizon is not the only one doing this though Sprint was the first to start, and from what is being said every wireless provider except At&t will be done upgrading to either LTE or 4G which are basically two versions of the same things. If the networks are that fast and efficient it will both enable a more efficient network because traffic will be cleared in millisecond's compared to seconds if not 10 second current times. Not to mention that's faster than many DSL home connections.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 865
M-ManLA replied on Wed, Mar 10 2010 4:35 AM

Hey, that is about the ballpark as my cable connection. No complaint there.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,555
Points 103,030
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Mar 10 2010 9:22 AM

Another thread I looked at today says that they're running out of wireless bandwidth and they may need to use a cable company's buried cable to transmit calls on to ease the congestion and terrible burden on their resources. This may mean higher prices because the Cable companies will want to be paid, will they not?

Now I'm reading that these guys at Verizon are going to enable their customers to use BOATLOADS of data on their new 4G LTE network.

Then again, I remember the wireless carriers furiously bidding on all of that US Government supplied bandwidth that became available when the mandated switch to Digital Television broadcasting occurred. They trashed Google’s plan for an open wireless network and they did it on purpose just to protect their ‘TURF’.

So what is the real situation?

Did they buy the bandwidth from 'Uncle Sugar' just to sit on it? Will they soon start howling about user's gigantic use of data and petition regulators for higher prices to offset usage that they have enabled us with and are determined that we have at our disposal?

I wonder if the government stipulated that they actually use all of that bandwidth effectively, or surrender it if they do not? I doubt that because the government is famous for not thinking of these things, even after the fact.

Once there is a large price hike, will they begin to use some of their true capabilities to roll out service across America?

I see this announcement as a possible setup that’s working towards a price gouge/hike scenario concocted by all of our nation’s carriers.

“If the health-care guys can do it then why can’t we?”

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 515
Kasel23 replied on Wed, Mar 10 2010 12:12 PM

Seems to me if we see this huge boost in cable speeds and as we continue to move into the world of fiber optics, consumers will expect faster and faster speeds in everything. Obviously this includes cellphone data services. Just seems that companies are being a little preemptive in this and starting to lay the plans for these new services so they're not left in the dust come fios/faster cable.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS