Case-Mate "Hug" Brings Wireless Charging To Apple iPhone

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,710
Points 1,208,250
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Mar 9 2010 2:24 AM
Wireless charging, believe it or not, isn't really new any more. It hasbeen around in one form or another for years now, and Palm's Touchstonebrought the technology firmly into the smartphone field. Powermat alsohas adapters that enable pretty much any smartphone to benefit fromcontact charging, but Case-Mate is hoping to step things up evenfurther.

The "Hug" case just might be the first iPhone case to emerge in quitesome time that demands attention. The Mophie Juice Pack Air was one ofthose show-stopping cases (as it provided a built-in extended battery),and now this case has stepped in to carry the crown. Serving twopurposes (a protective shell and a wireless charging solution), thiscase allows you to charge up your iPhone by simply laying it down onthe Hug Pad. Power is transferred via contact from the Pad to the Case,but you'll be paying a steep premium for being able to ditch the dockconnecting power cable. $99.99 seems somewhat steep given just howbulky the case is, but if you really hate keeping up with your ACadapter, maybe it's worth it.

Why Hug?
  • Protective case & wireless charger in-one
    The slimHug case provides daily protection for your device while alsoconveniently charging it when placed on the Hug pad. Charge up withoutplugging in
  • Green technology Hug draws power only to the level your device needs, then nothing more.
  • Interoperable Any hug case works with any hug pad. So with the same case you can get a power hug on pads at home or the office.
  • Future compatibility: Hug is based on the Wireless PowerConsortium standard. This means that your Hug charging pad will alwaysbe compatible with new devices supporting the standard. This also meansthat your hug case will be compatible with everyday products (youbedside table, starbuck's coffee table, in the airplane etc) thatsupport this universal standard.
How does it work?

Connect the Hug charging pad to a standard ac power source,then place your phone in the wireless Hug charging case. Second, placethe Hug case with the phone in it on the charging pad. Magnets in thepad and case automatically create a safe, charging field thatwirelessly charges your phone.

Key product features include:

• Efficient– The Hug delivers a "smart charge."  It knows when the iPhone hasreached a complete charge and, at that time, stops pulling power.
  • Convenient– The Hug charges just as fast as traditional chargers, but without thehassle of cords and wires.  Instead the charging pad transfers powerwirelessly through a magnetic field to the iPhone enclosed in the Hugcase.
  • Design-Forward – The Hug, featuring a sleek two-part caseand a charging mat, is constructed with durable injection-moldedmaterials with true aluminum metal and accents.  Its form factor wasinspired by the flowing lines of the golden age of sport automotivedesign.
  • Added Protection – The Hug comes with a durable, shockabsorbing case and a charging pad.  A screen protection kit is alsoincluded for total iPhone protection.
  • Interoperable – The Hugis the first charging pad to be is designed in accordance to thespecifications of the Wireless Power Consortium.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Tue, Mar 9 2010 12:39 PM

The thing that seems weird to me on these is I would get a device so I don't have to directly plug in a smartphone or media player etc, then plug it in and lay my device on top of it to charge unplugged.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 355

maybe the one second you save by not having to plug and unplug your device from the charger will make the $100 worth it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665

LOL i agree with rapid yet again! The only use i see for such a device is if i only charge at home so i can just lay it down with out having to plug it every time. Then there is the case, it seems pretty big and i don't have that much room in my phone case/pocket.. Does the case also store power like a extra battery case? if not i would get the battery case instead because its both big and this one is useless in most situations.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS