Cities Go Crazy In Order To Get Google's Attention For 1Gbps Internet

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,421
Points 1,193,215
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 8 2010 8:11 AM
Last month, Google shook up the ISP landscape in a big way, and all with the stroke of the (digital) pen. The company announced that they would soon begin testing a 1Gbps home fiber network, which could provide home Internet speeds that could only be realized in one's imagination before. Needless to say, Americans began to get hopeful, and local politicians saw opportunity. Having Google's name (and 1Gbps Internet access) stamped on your town is probably a surefire way to get you in the news (and maybe even add to the tax base), so it's no surprise to hear that city after city is going out of their way to make an impact and sway Google into making their town the first to get this new breed of high-speed Internet.

First, we heard that the city of Seattle was pushing hard to be Google's first test market. Their reasoning was sound: Seattle is a techy city, it's close to Google's Northern California headquarters and there are tons and tons of potential customers. But that wasn't enough. We later heard that Topeka, Kansas was renaming itself "Google, Kansas" for the month of March, all in an effort to prove that it was willing to do whatever it takes to get 1Gbps Internet to the nation's heartland.

Now, we're seeing the most recent case of lunacy. Or determination, if you care to look at things through Rose-colored glasses. The mayor of Duluth, Minnesota recently got up the courage to jump into freezing Lake Superior wearing no wetsuit, and he did it all on video in order to get Google's attention. He arose from the frigid waters shouting: "I've laid down the gauntlet! All right, you other mayors! You want Google Fiber, you jump in Lake Superior!"

All of this craziness is happening for a reason. Google established a March 26 deadline for cities to express internet, and clearly cities know that a ton of interest will be shown. Google has yet to confess on when the building of these fiber networks will begin, but it's clear that the sooner will definitely be better. Check out the video of Mr. Ness below, and before you think of getting your own city to apply for access, you better think up a serious stunt.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Mon, Mar 8 2010 11:33 AM

Yeah it's getting kind of nut's, I sent my city info on this on day 1. I don't know if they did anything with it, of course my city while close to Atlanta (somewhat), is on the small side. However; with Atlanta being in the top range (top 3 I think), of cities which have made it a big thing to upgrade it's technology goes two ways. You can (or Google) look at it as the area is already upgraded to a point, or be intrigued that it was one of the clearwire/sprint intro cities, and in that list and think wow that would be a very visible place to put this as well.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Mon, Mar 8 2010 11:44 AM

Where can i go to try and get my city in on this? We may only have a population of 300, but Verizon has been screwing us for over a decade at promising broadband and never delivering. I really HATE the fact that all this new stuff gets put into big cities and crap that already have broadband and competition that keeps prices down and reasonable, while those that dont live in a big city get shafted by the one and only broadband provider, or not even get access to broadband since the company claims there is not enough demand. Funny that Verizon determines demand by how many people respond to their website looking for broadband connectivity, yet most people dont even have internet access cause dialup just plain sucks and costs to darn much. Pay for the phone line and an ISP and you are up to 35 bucks which is INSANE for 33.6k connection.

If google goes and puts their new fiber stuff in smaller cities and links a bunch of them together they would really be helping those communities thrive and grow instead of making the rich bastards in the cities have more goodies to play with like they dont already have enough.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Points 960
Zestia replied on Mon, Mar 8 2010 3:37 PM

I feel for you Drago - a 33.6k connection is pretty much unheard of nowadays. Hopefully with time, broadband will be made available to all neighborhoods across the country. I'm sure Google's entry into the market will prove to be a step in that direction.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 865
M-ManLA replied on Mon, Mar 8 2010 4:37 PM

I want it!

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 325
Cheezit replied on Mon, Mar 8 2010 5:15 PM

Wow I didn't even know you could still get a 36k connection. I haven't been on anything slower than 56k and that was in 1998 when I built my first amd athlon box and oc'ed it to 1.3 ghz and thougt I was a pimp playing SC and Broodwar on it fast forward and I have 10 down 8 up gotta love silicon valley. Sorry for your pain.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

Doesn't seem to be that cold xD

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS