TRENDnet Brings MIMO Performance To 450Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Router

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,844
Points 1,114,820
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 5 2010 1:00 AM
TRENDnet's been a trusted player in the wireless space for awhile now,and while they don't have the clout that D-Link and Linksys do, theTEW-691GR is still a unit worth looking at if you're hoping to bring anew router into your life. This new one is a 450Mbps Wireless N Gigabitrouter, and it's designed with gamers and transfer junkies in mind. Agrand total of three antennas are included, all of which broadcastacross the 2.4GHz spectrum.

This three antenna layout provides Multiple Input Multiple Output(MIMO) technology, which boosts wireless coverage, signal strength, andthroughput speed. You'll also get four dedicated GigE ports on the rearfor hooking up devices via wires, though the $159.99 price tag mightfrighten off those who won't be actively taking advantage of the speedbenefits here. But surely you understand just how valuable a low pingtime is, right?

TRENDnet Expands its Award Winning Wireless N Portfolio with the High Performance 450Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Router

TORRANCE, Calif. - March 3, 2010 - TRENDnet, a best-in-class wired and wireless networking hardware brand, today announces the launch of the 450Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Router, model TEW-691GR. Designed for extreme performance and unparalleled quality of service, this router provides users with the ultimate wireless networking experience.

Three external antennas broadcast on the 2.4GHz spectrum. Three spatial streams per antenna produce a record 450Mbps theoretical wireless throughput. Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) technology boosts wireless coverage, signal strength, and throughput speed. One Gigabit Wide Area Network port and four Gigabit Local Area Network ports offer exceptional wired throughput performance.

The latest in wireless encryption and a secure firewall protect your digital network. Router setup is fast and intuitive. WMM® Quality of Service (QoS) technology prioritizes gaming, Internet calls, and video streams. A convenient on/off power button protects the router when powering down.

Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) integrates other WPS supported wireless adapters at the touch of a button. Gone are the days of entering complicated encryption codes. Simply press the WPS button on the TEW-691GR, and then press the WPS button on a compatible wireless adapter. Confirm you would like to connect and the devices automatically exchange information and connect. The router is compatible with IEEE 802.11n and backward compatible with IEEE 802.11g/b/a compliant devices.

"The 450Mbps TEW-691GR offers unsurpassed wireless throughput and coverage," stated Zak Wood, Director of Global Marketing for TRENDnet. "If you are looking for the ultimate in wireless performance, look for TRENDnet's 450Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Router."

The 450Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Router, model TEW-691GR, will be available from online and retail partners this May.

The MSRP for the TEW-691GR is U.S. $159.99.

About TRENDnet
For TRENDnet logos visit: http://trendnet.com/asp/partners/marketing.asp
TRENDnet is an award winning global brand, dedicated to providing a complete line of high quality yet affordable networking solutions for small to mid-sized business and home users alike. Founded in 1990, TRENDnet is headquartered in Torrance, California, and maintains branch offices in Europe, Central America, South America and Asia. TRENDnet products are sold in over 125 countries. The TRENDnet brand is consistently recognized for high quality, exceptional performance and unparalleled support. For more information visit www.trendnet.com or call +1 (310) 961-5500.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 3:09 AM

I use a Router that looks exactly like this by the same manufacturer. Mine is a Trendnet TEW-672GR though. I will say one thing I will definitely use them again, as the product has been flawless wired or wireless. It also offers a lot of security for a home unit, especially as it was one of the cheaper ones when I bought it. It had decent reviews so I figured I would try it as I did not want to deal with Linksys anymore. You would think being as there owned by Cisco they could put out some good product, and have support second to none. I would say as an owner there anything but (I have had and still do a cable modem by them, and 3 routers over all), there customer support is one of the worst I have ever dealt with.

When I started having problems on the last one the reps told me it was a very old technology model, even though it was only a few months old, not to mention the only one you could find locally anywhere at the time.

So at least for now Trendnet has my business, and with new stuff like this I imagine they will keep it.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 7:35 AM

I'll hold off until they get dd-wrt running on it (still not avail for DEW-672GR).

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Points 960
Zestia replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 9:58 AM

On paper it looks great. And I'm happy to read rapid1's endorsement. This may be the upgrade I've been looking for.

3vi1 - if you have a moment, can you elaborate a bit more on dd-wrt?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 1:36 PM

dd-wrt is firmware by independent developers. It generally adds a good bit of functionality and abilities to a router. I in fact need to go see if they have a firmware package up for mine. They have them for several of Trendnet's routers, but last time I checked (about a month ago), mine was listed, but not tested and activated yet. Either way there are dd-wrt packages available for several, and with the similarities between this one and mine I imagine they would work together. The only difference I see on the surface is mine is dual band tri-antennae, where this one is locked to the 2.4 Ghz spectrum.

Also as far as it goes I have not looked at the price for mine recently, but I would imagine it is pretty low if anyone want's to try one out. I as witnessed on in my original post definitely give Trendnet good marks, at least based on my usage, which has been constant for over a year now.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Points 960
Zestia replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 3:20 PM

Thanks rapid1 -much obliged.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS