SteelSeries Introduces Mechanical 6Gv2 Gaming Keyboard

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,866
Points 1,172,240
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Mar 2 2010 4:37 PM
If you follow us around here, you'll know that we love mechanical key switch keyboards. These kinds of keyboards are extremely rare compared to the more conventional boards, and they're generally better built and able to withstand more key presses of the life of the device. Most people don't type enough or care enough about their typing experience to scout out one of these, but if you are, SteelSeries has a new board with your name on it.

The company's newest gaming keyboard is modeled after the SteelSeries 7G, and the new 6Gv2 has been designed with 18-karat gold-plated mechanical switches for gamers who care deeply about the quality of their input devices. The company promises to offer quicker reaction times and advanced key combinations for more Actions Per Minute and a lifetime more than 10 times that of conventional keyboards.

As with the 7G, this keyboard also utilizes a powerful buffer-system created specifically for gaming, supporting as many simultaneous key presses as there are keys on the keyboard. This type of "anti-ghosting" was also found on Microsoft's most recent keyboard, and it enables gamers to mash a whole pile of keys at the same time without having any "duds." It'll also utilize the company's Media Controls (for quick access to volume, mute and other audio controls), but you won't find two USB ports or audio in/out ports like you will in the 7G.

The SteelSeries 6Gv2 keyboard retails for EUR 79.99 and will be available in Q2 2010.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565

That doesn't look like those gaming boards out in the past :D It doesn't look cool But its whats one the insides that is special in this case :D. Also don't get robbed there's gold involve :D lol

now about the keyboard, i would love to buy one so i can play my games better because there are many combinations and macros in the game :D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 5:19 PM

I like this one to, and the price unlike those last two keyboards is much better, and it actually does have gold in it 18k gold at that.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,356
Points 48,595
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 6:37 PM

They're probably Cherry MX Black linear, non-tactile switches, FYI.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 515
Kasel23 replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 6:59 PM

Been using a SteelSeries keyboard for the last year. They make some great products.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Sweet, this will be competing with the similarly priced I-Rocks KR-6230, which has been a great keyboard for me so far.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Points 960
Zestia replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 11:20 PM

For the better part of a year I've been visiting SteelSeries's website hoping to find a new keyboard announcement in their Press section. I was just on their website yesterday and again nothing. Like two hundred times before, I left the site disheartened wondering if SteelSeries had given up on the keyboard R&D.

A few weeks ago when Gigabyte announced their new USB 3.0 motherboards it occurred to me that maybe SteelSeries was hard at work with their own USB 3.0 version. I reasoned they had deliberately delayed so that they could integrate and test the new USB protocol and be the first to market with a USB 3.0 keyboard. Well, they weren't and they didn't. Instead they have released what appears to be a 7G light. In fact, other than the built in media controls and the removal of the audio and USB ports I can't really discern much of a difference between the 6Gv2 and the 7G. It almost seems like they needed something to bring to CeBIT and this is what they hashed up. I'm actually hoping that they've been developing something much bolder and simply ran out of time.

Now I know most of us are just happy that they continue to bring new products to market. In fact kudos to them for being honest and calling it 6gv2 and then also making it considerably less expensive than the 7G. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan too and I'm certainly not discounting their efforts but weren't you hoping they would take the best of past boards and improve upon them? Weren't you hoping for 8G? I was.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 10:55 AM

I've been using a Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard for a number of years now-- I have another ergonomic, the manufacturer of which I can't remember, installed on my trusty PowerMac.

However, as Blue Wilhelm is a gaming rig, I've decided to plunk down $150 and get the Logitech G19. They're running a double discount at the moment, so I'm saving $50. Yeah, it's a lot of money for a keyboard-- but it's so freakin' neat!

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 3:13 PM

I agree Clem on the Logitech units as well as the fact that Logitech in my book is a very trusted manufacturer. I think I would like a keyboard setup like this one (though maybe not this one in particular) with mechanical key switching etc. I think a USB 3 addition especially on a mechanical key product, as the response time is much better with mechanical keys. So with USB 3 that would be fully translated to the mechanics of using a keyboard with a computer for any application, with positive results.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 1,735

Only 80 Euros? That's what, 120 USD? Pretty good for that level of quality. If I were choosing, I'd definitely buy one of these, instead of those keyboards that look like a switchboard or something. To tell the truth though, I've never experienced a mechanical keyboard. The standard DELL keyboard I'm typing on, excepting maybe the spacebar, is pretty nice and clackety for me anyway.

BTW, that's a cool contest idea, a mechanical keyboard giveaway. Hint, hint... :P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 11:59 PM

:D i just watched the video linked to in the first post and the clickly sound sounds nice on the scorpius m10! :D

@i'll be up for a keyboard contest too... :D lol (Macro has too many Wink lol

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

This is a really nice looking keyboard. I would like this much more than the over the top things logitech calls gaming keyboards.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 10:40 PM

Hey, Bob, some of us LIKE over-the-top. My G19 has a few odd problems-- it seems to be running two versions of the OS at once (an embedded Linux, for those of you who're fans of that)-- but I've worked around it and really like some of the amenities that aren't on the Microsoft keyboard, like key backlighting. The LCD screen-- well, that may just get me back into programming, since everyone else's idea of a G19 clock is pretty bad.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Didn't mean to offendStick out tongue

While back lighting would be nice this keyboard really appeals to me. Nice key switches, small size, no huge spaces above or below the keyboard so that it's awkward in my lap.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS