Researcher Claims Conclusive Proof Of Aggressive Behavior - Video Game Link

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,748
Points 1,210,180
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Mar 2 2010 10:26 AM
A new analysis of 130 total studies covering more than 130,000 gamers from elementary school age to college age conducted in the U.S.A., Europe and Japan reasserts the influence of violent video games on aggression in children. Dr. Craig Anderson's conclusions appeared in Psychological Bulletin, a journal of the American Psychological Association on Monday.

Dr. Anderson is a psychologist at Iowa State University. After reviewing the findings of past studies, Anderson said:
"Playing those types of games increased the likelihood of later aggressive behavior, increase aggressive emotion. It also increases what you might think of as desensitization, or a lack of empathy."
Anderson said the results held regardless of age gender and culture. He added that his team examined all of the relevant studies from around the world that they could find.

The conclusions are not without rebuttal, however. In an accompanying commentary, Christopher Ferguson and John Kilburn of the department of behavioral applied science and criminal justice at Texas A&M International University note flaws in Anderson's analysis, including what they say is his own selection bias. Selection bias means what it sounds like: that you choose a non-representative group of people for the study.

In a prepared statement, Michael D. Gallagher, president of the Entertainment Software Association, responded:
Numerous authorities, including the U.S. Surgeon General, the Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Communications Commission and numerous courts have thoroughly and critically examined the social science research and found that it does not establish any causal link between violent content and violent behavior.

Most recently in 2008, Drs. Cheryl K. Olson and Lawrence Kutner, co-founders and directors of the Harvard Medical School Center for Mental Health and Media, conducted a study funded by the U.S. Department of Justice on the effects of video games on young teenagers. In contrast to previous research, they studied real children and families in real situations. In their authoritative analysis, Grand Theft Childhood, they found that 'the strong link between video game violence and real world violence, and the conclusion that video games lead to social isolation and poor interpersonal skills, are drawn from bad or irrelevant research, muddleheaded thinking and unfounded, simplistic news reports.'
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 12:34 PM

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Marcus Brigstocke, British Comedian

Correllation does not imply causation.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 1:24 PM

Hmm 3vi1 especially in Great Britain, where a primary activity started there for the young adult community "Raves", does basically hold all Mr Brigstocke's elements of exacerbation or at least definition as well as with bright colors and sound thrown in, his definition fails miserably.

As for this individuals studies and the points he tries to show I find them quite interesting, if not in depth, in his attempt to manipulate a little part of his self realized reality. I in many cases, and especially when studying this type of statement or insinuation find this to be true.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 1:26 PM

Think about this if Nietzsche Stated (just using him as a reference persona), stated anything as being undeniably true, then that must have been true to him, or his perception, and individuals with his specific mental outlook.

However; this would not definably, nor identifiably be true to everyone else in the world, but only to similar mindset individuals.

Therefore we could say that every persona such as an athlete who plays Hockey, American Football, Rugby, or fighting of any type if not given this outlet for there aggression, would be a killer or otherwise overtly violent individual or somehow enact violent physical action's.

While this may in some cases be true, we could also assume that because of the competitive nature of these activities, also state that they would if not given this outlet, therefore become very high achieving individual's in another field.

While these things in the initial outlook could be true. Saying these things; and defining them as inexorably true, is actually personal mistrust of a type of individual, more so than an actual truth of any type.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 1:27 PM

I could debate this guy under the table on these point's, and I am not even formally trained in the field. I am also sure that any individual with a fully functioning brain could do so as well.

This is another puff the magic dragon trying to be heard, and believed as a valid professional or individual.

I would say his wife is unsatisfied at home, or some other personal issue has made him feel considerably less important, so he wants everyone to listen, and take him as an authority on something, which thereby empowers him.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 2:15 PM

I'm aware of raves - that's the joke. :) It's just correllation, not causation: Pac-man does not cause raves.

Here's what I've learned from all of these studies: Parents love to be absolved of responsibility. Any study that says they don't need to spend more time raising their children right, and that the problem is solely some activity in which they don't participate sounds good to them.

There were school shootings before video games, and there were wars before horror movies, and suicide before rock-and-roll... We're just more connected and the population is getting more dense, and unfortunately anyone is allowed to be a parent. They didn't even make me take a test.

These studies also suffer from a heck of a lot of bad data: Fox News put Jack Thompson on the air right after the Virginia Tech Massacre, where he stated that the shooter was a Counter-Strike player. Dr. Phil threw in on the same side of that argument on Larry King, and that's all anyone remembers. The problem is... the shooter didn't play games. None during his college years at all, according to the Virginia Governor's official review panel. As a kid he had played some games of the Sonic the Hedgehog variety, but nothing violent. If he had, they would have said that's "proof", but since he didn't... I guess it must be some statistical anomaly. ;)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 3:56 PM

Rapid1, learn to use the edit button you triple poster. I agree with 3vi1, games dont make people more violent, the rage is in the person to begin with. Those that have less destructive means of letting their rage out ie video games are less likely to end up doing things in real life. Why do you think most people in online video games act all tough and badass, and are all bark and no bite if met in real life?

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665

LOL he always double post and some times triple but no one cares as we all love each other :D lol. i can play all the violent games in the world and it won't affect me one bit...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

No we do care and active valued members of the forums should be setting the example for other new members to follow. Some people just need to be kindly reminded Big Smile

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

@3vi1 Exactly, another study confusing correlation with causation. We might as well say that global warming is caused by a lack of pirates (another famous example).

If your child is young and dumb enough to be influenced negatively by video games, they shouldn't be allowed to buy the game in the first place. That's why we have ESRB ratings.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 1,430
Xylem replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 12:01 AM

This is applicable in all "Other" parts of the world, not in India. Guys, I tell you, this place is a singularity. You can never be violent here in Bangalore. You are ever stuck in stupid bumper to bumper traffic all through the day, irrespective of what time of the day it is. Had we been influenced by GTA (inset pic), we would have driven on all kinds of stuff and never get stuck in Traffic ever...You would feel incredibly angry, about to explode type angry, still no options.. ha ha..Big Smile

Travel Rig |Acer Aspire One - ZG5 Mods so far |Toshiba MK4009GAL 40GB.4 - port USB HUB with BT, Touchscreen & GPS. 1GB RAM upgrade. | 

Main Rig |Core 2 Quad Q6600(3.2GHz), 2x2GB OCZ Reaper 800 MHz RAM, 19" AOC 913FW, 2 x 500GB WD HDD & 2 x 1TB WD Green, nVIDIA 8600GT 1GB

Suzuki Swift GTi | 2008 Version | Lots of mods in pipeline.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 10:17 AM

I can't believe Dr. Craig Anderson's conclusions. I feel like beating him up.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Xylem:

This is applicable in all "Other" parts of the world, not in India. Guys, I tell you, this place is a singularity. You can never be violent here in Bangalore. You are ever stuck in stupid bumper to bumper traffic all through the day, irrespective of what time of the day it is. Had we been influenced by GTA (inset pic), we would have driven on all kinds of stuff and never get stuck in Traffic ever...You would feel incredibly angry, about to explode type angry, still no options.. ha ha..Big Smile

Haha, they should do a GTA: Mumbai expansion! The game would involve driving in traffic packed streets, falling in love with a rich, upper class girl, while her father tries to kill you...also sprinkle in a generous amount of spontaneous singing/dancing.  Yeah, I've watched my share of Indian movies, lol.

realneil:

I can't believe Dr. Craig Anderson's conclusions. I feel like beating him up.

Lol, indeed. I feel like hijacking his car, throwing him to the ground and kicking him repeatedly till $100 bills magically appear above his head.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 4:21 PM

Well I initially had it as one post, but the concepts and discussion points were varied so I tried to split it up. I was actually pretty unsuccessful at doing it at least cohesively to each topic. It was just to long as a single post with to many different focuses. As for Drago's comment the main reasoning in my posts was that games do not make anyone violent on there own. As for 3vi1's comment I know PacMan does not cause raves, I was just making a summation of something relative and related to Great Britain as well as it's mid teen, young adult populations idea of fun (and of course relating it to PacMan).

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 265

Its NOT video games influencing kids but their parents! if a kid is taught from a young age what is right and whats not, then video games would not be an issue...

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS