Shuttle Unveils Ion 2-Based XS35 Slimline PC

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,155
Points 1,185,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:31 AM
Shuttle is primarily known in the PC industry for their small formfactor (SFF) PCs. These tiny boxes are still mighty potent, and they'reusually geared towards LAN party gamers who don't want to be botheredwith taking their full-size rigs on the road. But as with most everyother computer maker, Shuttle is evolving, and as the demands shift,production shifts as well.

Announced this week is an all new form factor from Shuttle, one thatlooks nothing like the rectangular gamer boxes that have made themfamous. The Shuttle Barebone XS35 is just 3.3cm thick, making it smallenough for just about any application. It could be a perfect carputer,or you could install it behind your flat panel as a covert HTPC. Itwill be officially unveiled at the CeBIT trade show in March, and itwill ship with a 1.66GHz dual-core Atom D510 processor, Intel's NM10Express Chipset, an NVIDIA Ion 2 graphics chipset (plenty for HDplayback) and an HDMI output. Now you're seriously considering thatwhole "covert HTPC" option, aren't you?

Other specifications include a VGA output, LAN port, five USB 2.0ports, a multi-format card reader, a 2.5" hard drive an even a slimlineoptical drive. It's also "passively cooled," which means that itoperates in near-silence aside from the HDD noises. Pricing has yet tobe revealed, but the new box will be released in Q2 of this year.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Feb 28 2010 12:30 AM

Well I guess if you can fit an operational Dell 11" notebook capable of gaming in it's casing, then this is not absolutely amazing. To tell you the truth it make the Dell unit that much more incredible, and make you wonder why they did not include the same video capability.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Feb 28 2010 1:30 PM

It's not geared towards the gaming segment.

How much does it cost?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Mon, Mar 1 2010 2:00 AM

Oh I know it isn't realneil. I am just saying if Dell can do it in a laptop for less than 1000 why not. It very obviously has more room for cooling than an 11" laptop would.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

Dunno realneil, their website is as silent on that matter as is the article. (None of their products lists an MSRP.) I wish that more companies would have the nads to post actual prices.

Of course, this taken to extremes is bad-- think of the CrunchPad debacle-- but if you have a product that's about to hit the shelves, the "second quarter of 2010" being one month away, not posting a price reeks of "let's see what our competitors release and see if we can't undercut that."

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS