iPhone Owners Stage Anti-AT&T Demonstration At Santa Clara U, Might Get Results

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,175
Points 1,185,770
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Feb 26 2010 6:45 PM
The biggest thing that happened at Santa Clara University (from anational perspective) was that season opening win over the UNC-ChapelHill basketball team that eventually went on to win a NationalChampionship in NCAA Men's Basketball. The biggest thing to happen atSanta Clara University this decade is most likely this: a complaintthat's gaining all sorts of national attention.

According to a new article in the Chronicle of Higher Education, a slewof iPhone owners at the school are fed up with AT&T's poorreception on campus. So fed up that they have organized a "day ofcomplaint" to push for better coverage. To be honest, the main reasonthis little demonstration is picking up so much steam is due to theperception of AT&T across the nation. Many feel that the carrier'sreception is subpar, and that they're networks are overcrowded inmajor cities. To make matters worse, they're the only carrier inAmerica to offer the iPhone, which many people see as the bestsmartphone for the money. In other words, you're basically opting forworse service in order to have a superior phone, and it seems thatconsumers are finally down with just "biting the bullet."

The "Campus Wide Call AT&T to Complain Day" saw loads of studentsand professors make several hundred calls to AT&T in order to maketheir voices heard, noting that many students "can't get reception inmany of the dormitories, in the basements of thelibrary and the student center, in some academic buildings, and instudent houses near the campus." What's crazy is that it worked. On themorning of the demonstration, Leon F. Beauchman, an area manager forAT&T, made an unexpected visit to the campus. He somehow caughtwind of the event beforehand, and he showed up in order to do what'sbest known as "damage control."

According to the report, AT&T is already working to better serviceat the school, but they certainly have a lot of other demands on themat the moment. 4G is just around the bend, and they need to improve theamount of cell sites in order to get 7.2Mbps data out to more people.At the very least, this is proof that a small minority can still getrecognized, and hopefully everyone will benefit from the demonstration.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,590
Points 54,905
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Feb 26 2010 11:47 PM

Can we stage them here in Mendon too?

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:14 AM

Bravo! This kind of negative publicity is exactly what will get AT&T's attention. Now if similar demonstration can be organized all over the country, perhaps Apple's hand will be forced as well.

I'm not saying that AT&T sucks, but that it's about time that the iPhone becomes available on other carriers as well. AT&T won't always be the best choice in a certain region as the students/faculty at Santa Clara know.

This is a table of network coverage reliability worth taking a look at:

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/reliability-results.png?tag=content;selector-perfector

The table is from an article on PC World, linky here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/189592/

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 2:32 AM

Good link gibbersome. The thing about it all is this. I actually would have liked an iPhone. I use only cell phones though. So reception is a necessity, not an I wish. I see no point in having a home line as my internet is through cable anyway, plus with a cell phone I have my main phone anywhere. With Verizon I get that.

Either way Sprint is currently offering service with clearchannel here in 4G. There are as of yet no 4G phones though, plus sprint get such bad reviews in general, as does T-mobile. Well At&t also gets a lot, so while I may have changed to them years ago, and gotten an iPhone because of it's capabilities I have not. This is primarily because I know in general there network is not quite up to par.

The iPhone has in many cases carried them. Just to let you know I have also had service with them years ago. I moved to Verizon because of there networks stability for calls anywhere I seemed to go. So with people complaining about there connections with them I definitely was not going back to the same junk connections I had before.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Feb 27 2010 3:35 PM

By Gibbersome: "I'm not saying that AT&T sucks, but"

I'll say it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
kwhitak replied on Sun, Feb 28 2010 2:27 AM

They have a right to be angry about AT&T's lack of service. I've been with AT&T since last June, and I've had nothing but trouble with dropped calls, no or poor reception, and text messages not being sent/received.

The worst thing? On the three occasions I have had to call 911, the call wouldn't go through. A week after I got my iPhone, I witnessed a serious car accident. I dialed 911 repeatedly for 15 minutes before I was able to get through. In the meantime, I was the only person with a cell phone at the accident site, so two drivers with bloody noses and who knows what else had to wait. I wasn't in the middle of nowhere either- I was in central Phoenix.

It doesn't make it any better that you get a 'too bad, so sad' response from AT&T employees when you tell them about the poor service, including not being able to call in an emergency.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sun, Feb 28 2010 2:51 AM

how much u wanna bet ATT employees don't use ATT :D.

nothing happened to the 2 drivers after 15min wait right? im with ATT too on the iphone and i always get poor connection and slow web loading. i receive aims 5-10 mins later...(not sure if its the aim app or hte network...) But in all ATT is poor on connection :(

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

SILLY PROTESTERS!!! Don't they realize that just by buying the phone and being forced to sign up for att, that they voted to be treated that way? If all those same people rallied around and kept their crappy old phone, and told them we want other carriers. Then Apple would have been overstocked and forced to lower the price and use other carriers.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sun, Feb 28 2010 12:50 PM

But even with the bad connections everyone can't stop buying :D. the phones too good to wait for :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Mon, Mar 1 2010 2:22 AM

I hate those stupid At&t commercials to, they are outright lies in most circumstances. Little does the general consumer know that unless there business plan has changed, they are not upgrading to 4G at least not yet, while all other providers in the US are.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Mon, Mar 1 2010 2:08 PM

animatortom that is a very valid point they are already enablers for At&t to suck. So in many cases they deserve what they get. As a point it is a big point to values as well. Would you buy or choose the pretty over the functional. As far as values go that is where they stand to the greatest point, which is in all reality pretty sad.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS