Nintendo Releases New Information on Upcoming DSi XL Launch

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,696
Points 1,156,990
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Feb 25 2010 5:00 PM
Nintendo's next-generation, up-a-size DS model (the DSi XL) is set to launch in just over a month and the company lifted the lid today on what we can expect at launch. For those of you who aren't in the know, the upcoming DSi XL is a 'large' revision to the DSi's form factor. The unit's iconic twin displays offer 93 percent more viewing area, battery life has been extended from an estimated 9-14 hours with the DSi to 13-17 hours on the DSI XL, and the XL ships with two styluses—one large, one small. Unlike its predecessors, the XL isn't following the tinyfication trend—it's bigger, chunky but very touchable and somehow sleek. The unit's glossy lid has been variously praised for its appearance and damned for its ability to transform from pristine shiny surface to goo-swathed hideousness in a single bag of Cheetos.

We like the color and the larger stylus, but that thing deserves some sort of "Most likely to be mistaken for a ballpoint pen" award. And where, exactly, does it go?

When the XL launches next month it will feature a wider viewing angle, two colors (burgundy and bronze), and comes loaded with pre-installed premium software Brain Age™ Express: Arts & Letters, Brain Age Express: Math and Photo Clock, as well as two free applications: the Nintendo DSi Browser and Flipnote Studio™. Two additional games: America’s Test Kitchen: Let’s Get Cooking and WarioWare™: D.I.Y. will also launch for the Nintendo DS family of products on March 28.

There's a range of new Wii titles coming down the pipe as well including Super Mario Galaxy 2 (May 23rd), Metroid: Other M (with new OMG3D technology) on June 27, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands on May 18, and Capcom's Monster Hunter Tri, which claims to offer a wide degree of customization, Internet play, and fully integrated text/audio chat (if you've got a Wii Speak microphone).

The DSi XL further cements the idea that Nintendo has its finger squarely on the pulse of what its customers would like to see in a new model, unlike its chief competitor. When Sony launched the PSP Go last year, its idea of progress consisted of slashing screen size (highly debatable as a plus), weight, and unit size. If Sony had stopped there, there'd be no problem. Instead, the company completely broke compatibility with existing PSP peripherals, removed the UMD slot (all games must now be bought at the Playstation Store online), and slapped a $50 premium on the unit.

Comparing the two devices, the DSi XL looks as though it'll continue Nintendo's traditional market dominance. It's not a huge update—realistically, the XL seems like a DS after someone grabbed a corner and dragged it a little bigger. Same functionality, just a bigger screen and stylus—but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Thu, Feb 25 2010 5:27 PM

I have not really had any use for Nintendo products since I was about 16......

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Points 945
JoelB replied on Thu, Feb 25 2010 5:32 PM

Just a guess, but maybe the 'pen' snaps into either the bottom or the top?

Say, now there's an idea... e-Reader software for the DSi XL?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 1,695
Bighorse replied on Thu, Feb 25 2010 5:48 PM

The DSi is kinda ackward to hold since it is made for kids. This might actually be comfortable to hold, and the increased screen size will be awesome. Now sony needs to get their crap together and make gaming consoles that can really compete. They have great equipment, they just can't market it for success anymore.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, Feb 25 2010 7:05 PM

I told my kids this was coming, but no... they had to have DSi's for x-mas (they already had DS's). I'm *not* buying this next year.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,764
Points 40,470
Inspector replied on Thu, Feb 25 2010 10:02 PM

LMFAO, so how about the new one coming out the year after that? :D

last time i used a Nintendo was a year or 2 ago and it was the wii :D (not much of a Nintendo guy -.-)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Haha, Nintendo has made a business of making us buy underperforming gaming hardware.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Fri, Feb 26 2010 9:09 AM

Yeah, that's one of the things I wanted for the original Nintendo DS. I thought it'd be a natural for electronic books as well as personal productivity software-- nothing fancy, just an appointment calendar, contact list, and to-do list sort of thing. (I wasn't looking for a music player, since I was still on the hard-disk iPod.)

But no one listened. Years later, I bought an iPod Touch and that fills the bill that the DS with various letters tacked onto it couldn't fulfill.

But since that's more of an "adult" device and the Nintendo is more of a "kids" device (the Sony abomination is a "nobody" device), I have to wonder-- does Nintendo imagine that the only way kids will be educated on a video game system is with mediocre quiz games? My nephew-to-be, 11 years old, turned down a Nintendo in favor of an iPod for Xmas, partly because of the music player and games, but partly because of the Kindle app. See, Mario? You're missing a market segment here.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS