Sony VAIO Y Series Notebook Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,813
Points 1,165,140
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Feb 22 2010 12:17 PM

Sony VAIO Y Series Notebook ReviewThe CULV notebook market has been overloaded with options over the past few months, and this year's Consumer Electronics Show saw even more PC makers  jump in with an abundance of new offerings. Asus and Acer seemed to be at the forefront of the CULV revolution, which--for those who don't know--are machines that split the divide between low-powered netbooks and energy-draining full size laptops.  Today we'll be looking at a CULV-based model from Sony, as they have taken their well respected VAIO line to the land of the Intel Consumer Ultra Low Voltage notebook platform.

The VAIO Y-Series that we're testing today is one of Sony's newest machines, and just as Lenovo ThinkPad machines wear their legacy on their sleeves, this one screams VAIO from end to end. The exact model number is VPCY115FX/BI, and it's definitely one of the most stylish ultraportables out today...

Sony VAIO Y Series Notebook Review

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,818
Points 45,670
rapid1 replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 6:06 PM

While this may be OK it. for the market I would not choose the components in the review for anything. Why would I use a 5400 rpm drive to begin with. Especially for energy issues (SSD all the way), but even a 7200 RPM drive would add some pep, as well as a switchable GPU model. The SSD would also partially make up for a solo GPU config with DDR3. Sony is to much like Apple for me, you can get better components in an MSI unit, an Asus one and on and on. The name of SONY just does not impress me by itself in general. Yes they do have some good things, there usually not in the PC market. Although Vaio's look cool usually thats about

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
oktobella replied on Mon, Sep 6 2010 11:50 AM

Great review, thanks.  It helped me decide to buy one - I'm now the proud owner of a VPCY216FD/B  One thing: the review points out that having the power switch on the outside means that the computer could be turned on accidentally.  In fact, the power button will not turn the unit on unless it is open.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS