Seagate Introduces 2TB 6Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,160
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Feb 22 2010 11:27 AM
Seagate has just introduced a new hard drive that hits not one, but two sweet spots: it's 2TB in size, and it supports the new 6Gb/s interface. It's also an Enterprise drive, which means that it's extremely reliable and useful for always-on or server-based applications.

The industry's first 2TB 6Gb/s SAS Enterprise Drive is now shipping, with the Constellation ES offering a 7200RPM spindle rate, PowerChoice optimized power and cooling technology, and a government-grade security option. There's no clear mention of how expensive this will be, but if the 2TB version is just too high, there will also be a 500GB, 1TB and 2TB option available.

The fourth-generation, 3.5-inch Seagate® Constellation™ ES drive family for 7200-RPM enterprise environments enables cost-effective, highly efficient storage with capacities of 500GB, 1TB and 2TB. Supporting up to 76TB per square foot, it offers best-in-class reliability, leading 6Gb/s SAS or SATA 3Gb/s performance, PowerChoice™ optimized power and cooling technology, and a government-grade security option – all backed by Seagate.

“Nearline is the fastest growing segment in enterprise storage and Seagate is committed to meeting the market demands of its OEM and system integrator partners in this space,” said Carla Kennedy, vice president, Seagate Enterprise Product Line Management. “Seagate’s leadership in technology development, volume manufacturing and supply chain execution has resulted in an exemplary next-generation nearline solution. The Constellation™ ES drive tackles the concerns of shrinking IT budgets, floor space constraints and energy consumption, efficiently and cost-effectively.”

• | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 170
ttvinko replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 2:09 PM

Of all the hard drives I have had over the last 15 or so years, I have only had one lockup and it was a Seagate.

Jess

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 6:07 PM

i had no problem with any one my few hard drives :D i only got one from seagate all the three are WD

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 85
Fanfoot replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 7:44 PM

Remember a year ago (Feb 9th 2009 to be exact) when Seagate announced the last Constellation ES 7200rpm 2TB drive? Remember how it was late into the FOURTH QUARTER before you could actually buy one? Raise your hands anybody who thinks this will actually be available for purchase any time soon...

Beuller? Beuller? Beuller?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

I had a problem with my first WD.  I really like seagate, and hope to one day get a Samsung.  I remember back in the day, Jordan used to rave about the Samsung drives for how quiet they were.  I also plan to have a silent computer for my next one.  But hey.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 11:38 PM

I have seen problems with all hard drive manufacturers from time to time. From what I have seen over the long run WD and Seagate are the two I generally trust as well.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 3:11 PM

Why is this drive not a 10,000 rpm or greater unit though, in a cooling block for cooling it. I doubt a 7200 RPM drive is going to match SAS drive input capabilities. In fact I thought the only point to SAS was that it operated at a higher frequency, besides it's other capabilities.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 10:10 PM

>There's no clear mention of how expensive this will be

Is there ever?

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 265
Komando_93 replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 10:48 PM

Im curious to know what you guys think on these new solid state hard drives.  Are they worth the extra cost or would you just go with a bigger conventional hard drive?

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 740

wow whatta BEASTTT

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 1:02 AM

mentaldisorder:

I had a problem with my first WD.  I really like seagate, and hope to one day get a Samsung.  I remember back in the day, Jordan used to rave about the Samsung drives for how quiet they were.  I also plan to have a silent computer for my next one.  But hey.

I remember that too! Silent enthusiasts were raving about it. I decided to get the Western Digital that was also rated highly because I found a good deal for it. But as far as the Samsung drives, I think it was the Spinpoint drives that gained fame. A few years after that, the F1 series.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,890
sp12 replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 4:56 PM

Depends on your needs, but most SSDs have random access times on the order of 100x faster than hard drives. They also use less power, are more reliable (in theory), have faster sustained reads (typically).

But they're expensive, so it's impractical to buy huge ones to store, say, your music collection. The current ideal setup is a decent-size SSD for you boot drive, and a large HD like this one for your main storage.

I'm curious as to why this drive has Sata3, not like any hard drives can max sata2 yet.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Apr 16 2010 2:53 AM

Maybe a performance increase because the the newer controller in things other than hitting the max speeds? Like sustained reads or transfer rates of different sized files? Just a shot in the dark here... Though the old previews and stuff the the Seagate Barracuda 2TB XT shows the opposite...

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS