Rumored: iPad Pre-Orders Coming Soon

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,098
Points 1,183,570
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Feb 21 2010 11:37 AM
Apple hasn't announced an exact date for iPad availability. Rather, their website still just says "late March" for wi-fi only iPads. There's also no date listed for pre-orders, but that may be about to change, as well.

AppAdvice says an anonymous source "familiar with the matter," told them that Apple will begin taking pre-orders of the iPad as early as February 25th. Of course, you can stamp this note with a big fat "rumor," and as such, who knows, really?

There's also really no reason to hang out on Apple's site refreshing, or to turn on auto-refresh of a tab dedicated to http://www.apple.com/ipad. You can simply sign up on that same page to be auto-notified when pre-orders start.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 4:32 PM

Wow I am very excited to get a tablet which does halfway nothing much exciting.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Agreed rapid1, but I'm sure many are waiting for this device with undeserved apprehension. Hopefully once the first few user and tech-site reviews come out, we will know if the hype is warranted. I'm hoping that HotHardware will be one of them! :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 8:57 PM

im so going to pre-order this :)... lol

With all this crap talk about the ipad are they really going to get much orders let alone pre-orders? but im still interested in reading some review :D maybe its not as bad as they say xD

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 865
M-ManLA replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 12:26 AM

I'm waiting for Asus and Sony to do something. It is better to have Windows 7 on it so I can take my Microsoft Office and a few other programs with me without being crippled.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,905
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 9:29 AM

People really WANT these things? Apple's ridiculous price point for it is gonna be crippling to sales. Of course there will be plenty of the "Rich and Influenza" buying the crap out of them because they have more money than sense, but I can't see a large segment of the population 'drinking the Kool-Aid' this time around.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 6:39 PM

no its just that those people don't buy it for the use but to be cool and say im up to date :D.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 11:58 PM

If you guys wanna see what at least what looks like a real tablet check out the Adam.

http://notionink.in/index.php

While my info on this one is sketchy it looks like a very nice unit.

Hopefully we will see one tested out on here some time in the near future.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Mon, Feb 22 2010 11:59 PM

I also heard about Amazon buying that screen company I hope to see something out of them to. I just hope it goes the tablet route rather than set e-reader.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,911
Points 24,625
digitaldd replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 9:55 AM

rapid1:

If you guys wanna see what at least what looks like a real tablet check out the Adam.

http://notionink.in/index.php

While my info on this one is sketchy it looks like a very nice unit.

Hopefully we will see one tested out on here some time in the near future.

I'm sorry the name brings up the Coleco Adam in my head which was a terrible computer. Hopefully they'll change the name to something better.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 3:28 PM

This tablet "The Adam" is very nice from what I see. I wonder if the next unit will be named Cain or Abel or maybe even EVE though I think that might be a stretch.

Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 515
Kasel23 replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:44 AM

I'm shocked the over-sized iPod Touch hasn't been scrapped for something actually fresh and innovative. 

And yes, this "Adam" tablet PC looks much better and probably would carry a smaller price tag.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:05 PM

Hey they got to try and sell it even if most people hate it, they spent some time in to it so it would be wasted if they didn't.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 5:36 PM

That's true Inspector, and we all know the Apple faithful will buy some. Although I have even heard some of them are also putting this one in the trash category.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:18 PM

HAHA, rapid if you find a site selling it in the trash category link it here :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Fri, Feb 26 2010 2:19 AM

"Ridiculous price point," huh? I used to work for a small company, Langberg Associates. I developed a program for Ralston-Purina which optimized their pet-food production plants (ingredient locations, conveyor belts) and it ran on a TI microcomputer, pretty peppy by 1979 standards. I also flew to St. Louis to install it.

When I got there, they had the secretaries type it up onto punchcards to run on their mainframe. It didn't work (duh!), and I spent a sleepless night reprogramming a nice user interface into a batch process (which they hadn't specified to begin with). In the elevator the next day, some of them commented caustically on how "old Doc Langberg would love for us to buy one of his little computers." Later that same day, one of them mentioned casually that every time the IBM salesman came around, they bought a couple of new computers. "Even if we don't need them. We figure they'll come in handy sooner or later."

So, I do understand the mindset of the kneejerk Applebashers. I also remember the "Apple going out of business" rumours they've spread for the past 33 years. I'm not an Apple evangelist, but I can see why they're smug.

Having actually owned several MP3 players, I decided to spend $300 (no doubt also a "ridiculous price point," eh?) on an iPod Touch. Simply put, it's the best MP3 player out there. I was overjoyed to find there were hundreds of casual games that could be played on the go, not requiring a bulky notebook, suitable for travel and odd moments at home; I also eventually discovered an ereader application that had all the books I wanted for free and was compatable with my dysfunctional eyes. I even use silly, single-purpose apps like "Service Bell;" in improv comedy, there are some games that require the use of a bell. In short, after a month of ownership, I've already gotten more than $300 worth of use out of this thing-- and previous purchases didn't match up to that ratio.

So am I seriously considering an iPad? Damn betcha. Just for the larger screen so I don't have to bring out the magnifier as often, it would be a good purchase. And I honestly don't care that it won't fit into my dress shirt pocket; not being a corporate drone, I don't wear those anyway.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS