This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C Posted: Fri, Feb 12 2010 3:30 PM

Hey All,

We're going to be putting together a question and answer type interview with Intel's motherboard group. And wanted to gather up some questions directly from the community.

What questions do you all have about Intel's motherboards that you'd like answered directly from the source. Overclocking concerns? Feature requests? Layout Changes?  Anything goes.

Thanks!

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Feb 12 2010 10:38 PM

Question #1:  What is Intel's official stance on Linux support for their boards?  The level of FakeRAID support across varying chipsets seems to be all over the place from complete to unusable.  Does Intel contribute to the development of dmraid in any way?

Question #2:  You're in a desert walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise...

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,474
Points 47,055
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Fri, Feb 12 2010 11:49 PM

Perhaps more of a marketing question, but I wonder how Intel plans to pay for their huge litigation settlements. Will the costs be spread over the entire Intel lineup (including motherboards), or will it be tied strictly to the sales of processors?Confused

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 8:24 PM

Just following up here folks--how about a few more!

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 9:12 PM

I'm not sure if you can put these in the form of a questions that don't sound naive or stupid, so just blame me:

1) New form factors?  We've seen a lot of competition in small (e.g. ION) form factors recently.  Might there be even newer and smaller designs on Intel's horizon?

2)  This is the stupid one, but If I were having a casual conversation with a MB guy, I'd ask about cooling.  For instance:  have they ever considered a motherboard design where water cooling input/outputs would be integrated to the board itself.  I.E.  the CPU sink  just takes pipes built into the board around a clamp on block and back through the board.  I'm no engineer, but it would seem that if you could unify the cooling for the CPU and the chipset, plus make it easier to use, it might be a hit.  Only a MB manufacturer could make a design like that possible (if it's even practical).

3)  What do they think of the competition?  Not just nVidia (and all that lawsuit stuff), but how about companies building for ARM architectures?  It wonder if they perceive them as a real threat at this time, or if they see most users locked into x86 by virtue of Windows.

Other than that, I'd love to hear about any new standards they'll be supporting in the near future (2011) that they feel will be significant for enabling more from their platform.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS