News Of Palm Production Shutdown Causes Unnecessary Panic

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,111
Points 1,184,025
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Feb 11 2010 5:47 PM
Despite its new smartphone platform, webOS, Palm isn't out of the financial woods yet.  And if you read the OTR Global report today that said that Palm was halting its production lines for its webOS products, you might have sold off all your Palm stock. Thing is, it's all about a holiday, not bad news from Palm.

Many global firms are experiencing this: anything going on in China will be halted next week for Chines New Year. Thus, this shutdown shouldn't be used as a reason to panic, but rather evidence that globalization has its bumps.

Here's the official statement. It should be noted that Palm says that production was ramped up pre-holiday to be sure there were enough Verizon devices for the carrier.
Palm regularly adjusts its product manufacturing levels to manage inventory. In anticipation of the Verizon Wireless launch and Chinese New Year, we increased production levels prior to February, and anticipate ramping production back up after the Chinese New Year ends.
It's true, however, that the latest comScore numbers show Android creeping up on Palm. The sheer variety of different devices is making an impact. Some even predict that the device availability, as well as the relative openness of Android vs. the App Store and its more draconian policies, will lead to Android overtaking the iPhone, in the (not so near) future.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Fri, Feb 12 2010 1:40 AM

That last paragraph I can very well see. The shut 1 provider way the iPhone is placed in the market is also not a very bright one either. This is specific especially because the provider is not the largest one out there, nor have they become such even though they have had one of the best selling phones for the consumer market for 3 years now.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Fri, Feb 12 2010 2:22 PM

Hmm, I wonder if we will hear anymore about palms woe's. Palm in general always seems to get the short end of the stick. They come out with more capable hardware and general it always last a few month's and die's.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS