Lenovo ThinkPad Edge Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,383
Points 1,192,305
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Feb 11 2010 2:09 PM

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge ReviewLenovo had one of the largest showings from any single PC manufacturer at CES this year, and while sifting through the company's new lineup of machines can be a daunting task for the average consumer, it was pretty clear from the outset that the ThinkPad Edge would be one of Lenovo's standout products of 2010. In many ways, it's a departure from the ThinkPad norm. It's the first ThinkPad to be available in more than just black (it will also ship in red), and there are a copious amount of customization options. Processors from both AMD and Intel are available, and it ships in 13", 14" and 15" form factors. It's not usual that a single machine type is available in ultraportable, mid-size and full-size notebook form factors, but the Edge seemingly breaks the mold...

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge Review

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Thu, Feb 11 2010 2:46 PM

This is interesting in some ways. The market for laptops is flooded though with many competitive models from many different companies. The laptop as the mobile leg of the computer market is of course the oldest implementation of computing in the consumer market. I think the current movement to the tablet type devices will impact this considerably. I will say one thing about IBM on this aspect though. Much like Toshiba IBM is well known for making very functional devices as well as very trusted devices in this space. So I do applaud there keeping current with good solid units. Even though this market is so fragmented with different models from different companies for different usage models, that it is almost impossible to pick a single one any more.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Great looking laptop, maybe Lenovo's best yet, but it's hampered by a lack of decent video card. Hmmm, maybe I've been spoiled by the M11x...

A good option for a business laptop nonetheless. Great review Shawn!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Feb 11 2010 4:22 PM

Lenovos definitely suffer in the 3D video area - doing work from an R400 right now.

However, there's significant payback in the area of power/battery life. This is the first laptop I've ever used that's relatively speedy and will run for over 3 hours of "real" use. It's really a good machine for business purposes.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55
awundrin replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 10:21 AM

Absolutely adore the red one! Lenova has really done it big! This is definitely going on my wish list! Yes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Wed, Feb 17 2010 12:18 AM

Yeah IBM/Lenovo has been in this space for quite a long time. I remember the first laptops I used to see were Texas Instruments and IBM, although TI no longer seem to be in the market IBM is going as string as ever. I also know on a professional end many will insist on an IBM or maybe it and a very small number of other brands. Most professionals as well would not consider many other brands maybe the Toshiba professional units.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS