Company Announces SDHC Adapter For iPhone

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,835
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 10 2010 3:57 PM
One of the touted features of iPhone OS 3.0 was the ability to interface with external hardware, and one company has used that to fill a gap in the iPhone's feature set. The company, zoomMediaPlus, has announced zoomIt, an adapter that allows iPhones to read SD cards (and with adapters, mini and micro SD cards).

zoomMedia is taking pre-orders right now. The price is a relatively high $59.95, but the company will ship a free 4GB Kingston SDHC card to the first 250 customers as well as a limited time $10 discount. The device is expected to ship in April.

When you plug in the zoomIt to your iPhone's dock connector, you will be prompted to download the zoomIt app from the App Store.

Naturally DRM-encoded slotRadio cards won't work with zoomIt, but Sandisk's slotMusic cards will. However, what's most cool is the ability to quickly swap files to and from an SD card using the zoomIt app's file manager.

Will this work with the iPad? The connectors are different, but the iPad is using a version of the iPhone OS, so one would think it would work.

One has to wonder, however, if Apple will allow this app to continue to "live" in the App Store. Apple recently announced a Camera Connector Kit for the iPad, but it hasn't announced a similar product for the iPhone and iPod touch. Of course, the zoomIt device and app allow access to more than just image files.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Thu, Feb 11 2010 12:02 AM

Hmm I know the iPhone is not exactly a small phone anyway adding another 2" in length may not be super popular. Who knows maybe as a use when needed or convenient.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Feb 11 2010 8:25 AM

The Zoomies seem to have embraced the Apple-Tax way of doing business,...$59.00 for a card reader??

The only problem is that Apple can shut them down anytime by killing their app in the store if they see that the idea is taking off and decide that THEY want the money instead. Then you'll be left with a $59.00 mini-brick.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Thu, Feb 11 2010 11:19 AM

wow a third party ipad camera adapter kit, I smell an apple lawsuit coming. Big Smile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Thu, Feb 11 2010 9:37 PM

Maybe the main use won't be for people to keep it attached all the time, carrying it around like a parasitic unborn conjoined twin on their iPhones, but for docks. I have one which was cheap ($10, if the rebate ever arrives) and has some decent speakers; my battery-dead 4G iPod lives there, with the Griffin AirClick remote control on top. Now I could sync it by running the usual USB-to-whateverApple'sconnectoriscalled cable to my computer. But I could also pop this baby there and just let it stay in place.

In fact, if I had a dock that connected my iPod to a TV set for stored videos and slide shows, this would make a pretty good addition to that. The price is a little dear (4 GB cards run under $10, so it works out to $40, assuming you need yet another SD card) but I can see a modest number of people paying to have the convenience of putting pictures from their cameras directly onto their iPhones without having to copy them to a computer in between.

And, you know, someone else is bound to come out with a cheaper model now that the ice has been broken.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

This is one of those things that should be part of the iPhone. Especially now that the iPhone 4 has a decent camera.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS