iPad Interest Drops After Announcement: Survey

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,195
Points 1,186,450
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Feb 8 2010 11:04 AM
Retrevo, a website that calls itself the "ultimate electronics marketplace," has done surveys on iPad interest both before and after the nascent device's announcement. It seems less people were interested in buying one after the announcement than before, to the tune of double, in fact.

Prior to the announcement, the number if respondents saying they had heard about the tablet but were not interested in buying one was 26 percent. Afterwards, it doubled to 52 percent. Definitely, people were paying attention, as well: the number of respondents saying they had heard about the iPad rose from 48 percent shortly before the announcement to 82 percent afterwards.

Also, most consumers stated they didn't have a need for the iPad. Once again, it increased greatly after the announcement: it went from 49 percent who didn't need the iPad to 61 percent afterwards.

Additionally, most were turned off by the price of 3G support. It will not only add $130 to the price of the device, it will add a monthly charge (though no service contract, at least).

This is hardly a scientific survey. After all, Retrevo surveyed only its own users. However, if indeed Retrevo is the "ultimate electronics marketplace," you'd think their users would know something, wouldn't you?
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

The $500 price tag, AT&T 3G network, paucity of features...not really surprising. Glad to know that I'm not the only one unimpressed with the iPad.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Mon, Feb 8 2010 1:20 PM

Yes gibbersome I think they messed up on quite a few fronts on this device. When in all reality it could have gained them a good bit more market share as well as recognition if it had been done right. Of course many of the things in this even relate to the Newton there first attempt at this. It did nowhere near what a palm did at the time. So it failed, I think Apple in general does not get much of the market or they don't care. Either way the iPhone touch iPod devices and capabilities gained them notice, but I am starting to wonder of it was just luck more than anything else.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

I think the key failure for Apple was a failure to innovate as they did with the iPod, iPhone, iMac, iPod Touch, etc. There's no reason for the mainstream consumer to want to plop $500 for this device.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Tue, Feb 9 2010 11:36 AM

An anonymous poll on the Internet? There's data reliability for you.

I'll go with my own poll, which shows 100% interest in the iPad. I asked my mom and her friend, and both replied "yes."

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:12 PM

ClemSnide:

An anonymous poll on the Internet? There's data reliability for you.

I'll go with my own poll, which shows 100% interest in the iPad. I asked my mom and her friend, and both replied "yes."

Haha, true that the anonymous poll itself isn't reliable, but since I'm guessing both the pre-announcement and post-announcement polls were taken under similarly dubious circumstances, the comparative drop in interest is still of value.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Wed, Feb 10 2010 7:01 PM

We-el, gibbersome, let's just say that an Internet poll is as reliable as eBay seller feedback, or five-star ratings of apps, or a customer satisfaction survey at a hotel after they give you a room upgrade.

There are lots of ways to ensure data integrity. The Internet gets around most of them. You get people with an axe to grind, both on the pollster side and the respondent side; the polls are opt-in, meaning that you only reply if you have a reason to push your viewpoint; and I have yet to find one that allowed nonresponse to a question. (Plus, Retrevo's software doesn't seem very well-written; I tried to examine it and got tired of waiting. But, thanks to another HH story, we knew that.)

Think of the uncontrolled poll that is the American Idol voting method; there have been allegations of fraud in every season, and proof of it in season one. The Internet is still not ready for democracy.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Well, we'd need to see the data to understand what's going on here.  Assuming they interviewed the same number of people each time, I think it is safe to say that just because they claim that 26 percent of people were not interested, doesn't mean that the rest of the percentage were people saying that they would buy it.  There could have been an option of "i don't know."  I mean look at the HH polls, you are given many options sometimes one of the choices is "i don't know."  Also, if someone is savy enough to browse the internet and go to that website, I'd hope that at least 82%of people who took the poll would have heard of it after it was publicly announced.  I'm sure it was also in the papers.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Thu, Feb 11 2010 2:47 PM

Exactly. Just as Larry Niven predicted (though in a lower-tech way), flash mobs are a reality. Anyone on, say, a survivalist website can rally the troops to barrage an online poll and render it invalid.

Repeating a bad methodology twice doesn't turn it into a good one. I think the best example is the "personality test" given by the Scientologists, copied by the Libertarians: No matter how you answer, the result is-- surprise!-- you need auditing or you're a Lib already. Self-serving polls aren't new to the Internet, it's just that there are more opportunities for them to flourish.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Sat, Feb 13 2010 12:58 AM

Looks to me like apple didnt really check out all of their competition.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Lol Drago...incidentally, a similar comparison can be made with paper towels...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, Feb 13 2010 12:43 PM

LOL drago that's just an awesome comparison Wink

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 10:30 AM

Well maybe interest will go up not that the ipad pants are here... Wink

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 3:04 PM

HAHA that made my day so far :D lol. I would buy that pant just for the heck of hte big pocket... LOL

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS