Sony Interested In Entering Tablet PC Space, Taking On Apple

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,804
Points 1,213,265
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Feb 7 2010 4:18 PM
It was only a matter of time. We knew as early as CES 2010 thatslate/tablet PCs were back on track for a second wind after dying outyears ago, but it seems that an unlikely contender has boosted everyoneelse into overdrive. Apple's iPad is the first real tablet to launchthis market into the next gear, and with companies like NVIDIA, Asusand Dell also looking to get involved, we figured that Sony would beclose behind.

In a conference held in Tokyo, Sony's CEO Nobuyuki Oneda exclaimed thathis company was eager to get in on this space, though he confessed thatSony was lagging behind the others in terms of time to market. Inreality, we highly doubt that Sony was considering doing a tablet PCbefore all these other rivals began to do so, but either way, we'lltake the competition. To quote Mr. Oneda:

"That is a market we are also very interested in. We are confident wehave the skills to create a product. Time-wise we are a little behindthe iPad but it's a space we would like to be an active player in."

Sony isn't a total stranger to this world. The company has competed inthe e-reader market already, and in a way, the tablet space is just anextension of that. It also just introduced the Dash Internet Viewer (shown) at CES. The company's Sony Reader Daily Edition hasreportedly sold well, and if they can mimic that kind of success in thetablet sector, we could be seeing the beginning of a real boom. Sony isa huge name; a name that's big enough to convince even the skepticsthat tablets are back and in business. Of course, the software is thereal unknown. Windows 7 supports touch, but nothing about it worksexceptionally well with touch. Will Sony choose to modify Windows inorder to make for a more touch-friendly experience? Only time willtell, and unfortunately Sony isn't saying when its first tablet/slatewill be out (if one makes it to market at all).
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,851
Points 45,910
rapid1 replied on Mon, Feb 8 2010 2:08 AM

This year is going to be interesting. The tablet's and e-readers will be all over the place Intel at least is going over 4 cores. Memory is getting smaller and more efficient, from what they say Nvidia is going to release some new gpu's, and I would not doubt ATI/AMD will follow with an answer. Maybe AMD will even use some of the billion dollar payout they got to up the Bulldozer market release, who knows!

Either way I think Sony could make a tablet that would be appealing. They seem to be good on the aesthetics design wise. I just hope they make it fully capable, if I want a Atom I can get a netbook I want at least a UL or mobile CPU and some hardware options.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,851
Points 45,910
rapid1 replied on Mon, Feb 8 2010 2:11 AM

I would also like a decent resolution non glare monitor or graphics space as a truly mobile device goes outside. I don't care about the body being shiny really I just don't want a mirror display and at least 1360 x 768 up resolution.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

Since it's a Sony, and they're trying to drain market share from Apple before anyone even has a device ready to sell, I would imagine they will (1) allow Flash to run on it and (2) direct you to Adobe Tech Support when it completely screws up your tablet. (Adobe Tech Support will of course return the favor.)

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS