Corsair Announces Two New SSD Lines

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,166
Points 1,185,560
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Feb 5 2010 10:25 PM
The words Nova and Reactor may evoke certain images, such as a powerful explosion in space, or a containment unit melting down toward China. Seriously, however, they do convey power, and that's what Corsair probably had in mind with their new series (two of them!) of solid-state drives (SSDs).

The new lines of SSDs are called Nova and Reactor, as noted above. They are SATA-II 2.5" form factor SSDS, using an SATA-II interface, naturally. The Nova series is confirmed to use the Indilinx Barefoot controller with 128GB and 64GB capacities and two-year warranties. Their read speed is a maximum of 215Mbps, with write speeds of up to 195Mbps for the 128GB drive and 130Mbps for the 64GB model. 

It's unknown what controller the Reactor has. The series comes in 120GB and 60GB capacities, with maximum read speeds of 250Mbps for the drives and maximum rated write speeds 170Mbps for the 120GB drive and 110Mbps for the 60GB drive.

The question probably on your lips is whether or not the drives ship with TRIM support. The answer is yes, they do. To be honest, most, if not all drives had better support TRIM out of the box in the future if they want consumers to buy them.  TRIM, for those unaware, allows an operating system to tell an SSD which data blocks are no longer in use, such as those left by deleted files. Without this command, performance on an SSD degrades over time.

Pricing? U.S. pricing hasn't leaked, but Fudzilla found U.K. pricing that would translate to $180-192 for the low capacity drives and $360 on the higher capacity drives, for both series.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Fri, Feb 5 2010 11:11 PM

Another option. Although Corsair has had some SSD action there options have been somewhat limited. I bet there using the same controller as our friends at OCZ to.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

I have the p128 and really like it though I need to put trim on it next OS install...

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Fri, Feb 5 2010 11:57 PM

Nova makes me think of Nova Prospekt from Half Life 2. Gawd I love that game. I've already played through it and the 2 episodes probably 3 times... and i'm kind of aching to play it again.. even tho I just played it a couple monthes ago lol It's so good!

But back on topic. The specs on these drives, to be honest are underwhelming. It's like they are flooding the market with more of the same. Also the statements on TRIM aren't entirely accurate. There are drives with some pretty good garbage collecting programming that fights degradation. So TRIM isn't exactly a necessity and TRIM itself used too often will cause unnecessary wear which can cause degredation too. TRIM should be used infrequently and only when system performance is noticably slow.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,588
Points 54,895
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Feb 6 2010 9:06 AM

Corsair basically rebrands most of their drives from a larger manufacturer like Samsung but they definitely choose the higher quality products and I'm sure do some screeening on them as well.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,085
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Feb 6 2010 12:47 PM

I know they can bring the prices down on these drives. Until they do, I'll read about them, want one, and refuse to buy one.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 1,695

These drives look nice, but with all the SSD they are pricey. Hopefully by black friday this year they will be priced for us to get a nice upgrade.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

realneil:

I know they can bring the prices down on these drives. Until they do, I'll read about them, want one, and refuse to buy one.

You and me both. lol

Bighorse:

These drives look nice, but with all the SSD they are pricey. Hopefully by black friday this year they will be priced for us to get a nice upgrade

Sounds good to me! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sat, Feb 6 2010 3:48 PM

Yeah Realneil I am of the same thoughts on this. I would love to have one as my master (OS some programs drive), but not until the price is realistic for me. Right now that price line has not happened. So I wait patiently :)

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS