Woz Dishes On Prius Problems

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,926
Points 1,118,185
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 3 2010 11:58 AM
The Prius is not listed among the models that Toyota recently recalled (and temporarily stopped selling) for sticking accelerator pedals, but according to Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, it has its own acceleration problem. At the same time, on Wednesday, reports of Prius brake problems on that same model year emerged.

Steve Wozniak was speaking at the Discovery Forum 2010 when went off on a sidebar and began discussing his Prius' problems. Wozniak is a big fan of Toyota's hybrid, and has several. It's even appeared on camera when he was guesting on Kathy Griffin's "My Life on the D-List" as her faux boyfriend.
"I don't get upset and teed off at things in life, except computers that don't work right. Toyota has this accelerator problem we've all heard about. Well, I have many models of Prius that got recalled, but I have a new model that didn't get recalled. This new model has an accelerator that goes wild, but only under certain conditions of cruise control. And I can repeat it over and over and over again, safely.

"This is software. It's not a bad accelerator pedal. It's very scary, but luckily for me, I can hit the brakes."
Older models of the Prius have been recalled for accelerator issues, but in that case it was because driver's side car mats could interfere with the pedal. I kid you not, and my 2006 and 2008 models have been recalled, as well.

Meanwhile, Wozniak should be glad his brakes work. On Wednesday, a Toyota brake problem was announced, and according to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA), it has received about 100 complaints involving the brakes of the Prius new model. Two involved crashes resulting in injuries. At the same time, Japan's transport ministry said Wednesday it has also received 14 complaints since July last year about Prius brake problems with Toyota's 2010 model.

This is just the latest blow to Toyota's reputation over quality. It's widely expected that Toyota, which managed to wrest the global market share crown from General Motors earlier, will see severe consumer backlash over this. Both Ford and GM are offering incentives for customers who switch from Toyota models.

Some analysts have speculated that in its race to #1, Toyota eschewed quality somewhat.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Feb 3 2010 1:39 PM

He should just use his pre-release iPad, from what his buddy Jobs is saying it's a do everything device. There has to be a fix my death trap Prius App right!

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

Toyota already lost ground to other car makers over this latest recall. Their monthly sales slipped 16% this past month compared to last year's. They sold less than 100,000 cars in a month for the first time since 1999. Meanwhile Nissan and Ford saw sharp increases in their sales.

The worst of it is that no one seems to know quite what is going on. Is it the floor mats, stick gas pedals, a computer error or something else? To top this off, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told people to stop driving Toyotas before recanting the advice.

This is a mess for Toyota, they're going to be spending a lot of money and time restoring their image after this. Personally, I would say this is the best time to buy yourself a Toyota.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Or you could just stay away from Toyota because this is a big headache for consumers and not just Toyota. I would definately not buy a Toyota now, regardless of what they say is wrong. They made the mistake on saying they fixed it with a zip tie the first time around.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,419
Points 46,595
ForumsAdministrator

Thank goodness this didn't happen to Ford, GM, or Chrysler. 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Feb 3 2010 11:58 PM

Hey Gibbersome the problem is Toyota went ultra cheap trying to save money. SO they bought and installed through design some ultra cheap action swivels in there gas pedals. They try to say that it's an accident and they sometime get stuck under a floor mat. What is the truth The swivels they used between the bottom of the pedal rod going to the throttle will get stuck. If you look at the pedals themselves they look retarded. So someone said hey we can save some money by using these cheap pedal actuators, everyone else said YAY lets put them in. So they did it I bet he or his whole team is fired after he pays the surgeon to remove the bullets from Toyota's shoulder. This disabled what 7 different model's if not it was at least 5.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

>

I'm a firm believer in buying when the market is irrational. This is one of those cases. While only certain models (and comparatively a very small fractions of cars are affected) are being recalled, the damaging affect is extending out to the entire Toyota line-up. Buy a model that's not affected, and you'll get a great deal. Toyota makes great cars, and it's still better than buying GM or Chrysler at this point. GM is also being investigated for their 2005-2009 Chevy Cobalts.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jul 23 2011 9:15 AM

gibbersome:
Buy a model that's not affected, and you'll get a great deal.

My Toyota Tacoma is a damn nice truck. It's abilities on the ice in wintertime are nothing short of amazing. (my wife drives over a mountain to get to work) When it's really nasty out, I drive her to and from work in the Toyota.

The accelerator has never been a problem either.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS